[Law] Minute to go - Penalty kick - slow preparation - kick to touch

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Red team winning by one point and there's one minute left on the clock. Red awarded a penalty on half way line. Red indicate to go for posts, TJs go to posts, Red Number 10 lines up, clearly takes his time to run down the clock. Ref tells him he's nearly out of time, then the 10 kicks the ball (from a tee) directly into touch. What would you do?

I'll let you know what the ref did after some debate!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Scrum to the opposition at the place of the original PK.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
do you think the kick into touch was intentional or accidental?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
FK for me, anyone agree?

Law 21.4 says it's a scrum ... unless we want to play the "deliberately offending" card. Which I think I would do. So PK. Can't see any basis for a FK.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd go for deliberately infringing. Though I'd be tempted to go with the scrum so we could have a good argument about it on here :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Law 21.4 says it's a scrum ... unless we want to play the "deliberately offending" card. Which I think I would do. So PK. Can't see any basis for a FK.
Agreed.

Clearly he wants to end the match, and presumably he thinks he might not make the distance/goal if taking the shot at goal.

If his one minute is up before time expires - scrum to the opponents.
If the switch to kicking for touch is done before time expires, the scrum is awarded at that time and can be played.
If time expires and his one minute doesn't before he kicks for touch, his delaying tactic has worked. He is not out of time and has not committed an offence before time expired.

The only question then is whether not a PK can be awarded for intentional offending.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Being the only person with the watch I would suggest that there were still a couple of seconds left when he kicked, so scrum to the opposition (as the law states). This is what I thought the OP said with "Ref tells him he's nearly out of time, then the 10 kicks the ball"

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
If he was awarded a penalty and knew there was very little time left, why didn't he instead kick for touch and be slow about it?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Time wasting.

He is entitled to take up to one minute for an intention to kick a PK at goal (21.4(c)). But you knew that.

I do not believe that the intention of the Game is to allow a team awarded a PK in the 79th minute to contrive an immediate end ot the match. Within the Laws I would therefore go with a deliberate infringement (unless it was a plain badly-skewed kick off the side of the foot from an eminently scorable position).

Perhaps someone will at some stage ask for a clarification, which will become written into Law, as per contriving to end the match from a re-start kick failure.

- - - Updated - - -

If he was awarded a penalty and knew there was very little time left, why didn't he instead kick for touch and be slow about it?

Because he has to take that type of kick "without delay".

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Being the only person with the watch I would suggest that there were still a couple of seconds left when he kicked, so scrum to the opposition (as the law states). This is what I thought the OP said with "Ref tells him he's nearly out of time, then the 10 kicks the ball"

I'd do the same thing.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
He is entitled to take up to one minute for an intention to kick a PK at goal (21.4(c)). But you knew that.

I do not believe that the intention of the Game is to allow a team awarded a PK in the 79th minute to contrive an immediate end ot the match. Within the Laws I would therefore go with a deliberate infringement (unless it was a plain badly-skewed kick off the side of the foot from an eminently scorable position).

Time was wasted when kicker changed his intention from a kick at goal after his approx 1 min., and also chose the wrong type of kick to touch., a kick to touch that was taken with undue delay.

The sanction for each is permitted to be other than a scrum as time wasting is covered elsewhere.

This is within law.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The Law makes no provision for a PK. the specified sanction is a scrum.

[LAWS]21.4 PENALTY AND FREE KICK OPTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS

(e) Place kicking for touch. The kicker may punt or drop kick for touch but must not place kick
for touch

Sanction: Unless otherwise stated in Law any infringement by the kicker’s team results in a
scrum at the mark. The opposing team throw in the ball.
[/LAWS]

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The Law makes no provision for a PK. the specified sanction is a scrum.

Ian, are you suggesting to award scrum after full time or blow full time?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I perceived the comments about PK and within law was using the "wasting time" law provision Ian. Otherwise yes it is a scrum if not wasting time etc.

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian, are you suggesting to award scrum after full time or blow full time?

I'm saying that if the place kick went accidentally into touch, or if I was unable to determine if the place kick was intentionally kicked into touch, I would award a scrum after full time.

[LAWS]5.7: OTHER TIME REGULATIONS

(e) If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue. [/LAWS]

IMO, if the ball is incorrectly kicked into touch then it is not dead, even if time expires.

However, if I determined that the kicker intentionally kicked the place kick into touch, then I would award a PK at the mark

[LAWS]10.2 UNFAIR PLAY
(a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]