mobile phones

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
So my trusty Nokia has decided enough is enough after only 6 years, which is not very good in my opinion, I thought solid stae stuff was supposed to go on forever.

I am a builder, spend all day on sites and need to text, make calls and get emails, that's it.

don't need a camera or music or a million apps or a compass or a spirit level or need to know the moon phases or where the nearest whatever is selling something I didnt even know I needed! [although it might be nice to know how fulham are doing]

Any thoughts on iphone vs blackberry, durability being the priority

Mini P

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
if you get emails on your phone, you should be able to get the internet too, you don't need an iphone or blackberry for that.

there are other makes out there, Nokia, HTC, etc. You had your Nokia for 6 years? If you are on contract, did you know you can get a new phone at the end of your contract, always free too.

If you go into Phones4U, you could also get actual cash back too. I upgraded my phone and contract, free phone with £150 cash in my hand.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
although there is an app on the iphone called voucher cloud (or something similar) which tells you where to claim free pints of youngs...

almost tempted :)

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't get an iPhone at the moment, especially with the 4th generation iPhone coming out. If you can't wait a couple of months get the HTC Desire, it's an android phone and is tipped to be "The iPhone killer"

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The HTC is a poor mans Iphone, dont consider anything else.

The 4G Iphone will be out before the end of the year. I have the Iphone 3GS, and an Iphone 3G, and prefer the 3GS. I also have a couple of Blackberries, the 8900 curve, and 9700 bold.

If you are a builder, I wouldnt consider the Iphone, it is not robust enough, although you can buy decent cases for it, they do bulk the phone out quite a bit.
The blackberries both come with leather pouches which do offer good protection.
I would go for the Blackberry bold 9700, it has no trackball to break, and the key on the keyboard are big enough for fat fingers like mine, so you should be ok typing.

If you dont want to go for a smartphone, then go basic, something like the nokia 2730, or Nokia 1616, both available for about £20-£30 from most mobile phone retailers.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The HTC is a poor mans Iphone, dont consider anything else.
The 4G Iphone will be out before the end of the year. I have the Iphone 3GS, and an Iphone 3G, and prefer the 3GS. I also have a couple of Blackberries, the 8900 curve, and 9700 bold.

If you are a builder, I wouldnt consider the Iphone, it is not robust enough, although you can buy decent cases for it, they do bulk the phone out quite a bit.
The blackberries both come with leather pouches which do offer good protection.
I would go for the Blackberry bold 9700, it has no trackball to break, and the key on the keyboard are big enough for fat fingers like mine, so you should be ok typing.

If you dont want to go for a smartphone, then go basic, something like the nokia 2730, or Nokia 1616, both available for about £20-£30 from most mobile phone retailers.

Don't have to tell me, I have an iPhone, the HTC is probably the better alternative at the moment until the 4th generation comes out

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
here y' go

Last edited:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I have the Iphone 3GS, and an Iphone 3G, and prefer the 3GS. I also have a couple of Blackberries, the 8900 curve, and 9700 bold.
Are you some kind of f**kin' drug dealer? FOUR phones? Either you're sleeping around with some seriously paranoid women, or you trade illegal arms to the Cubans...

(If in fact you are dealing in illegal activities, I swear I was only kidding. :Nerv: )

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Samsung Solid Extreme. Designed for building sites. I have issued them to all my cleaning and maintenance staff.

Waterproof, dust proof, shock proof (you can bounce it off the floor), radio, camera, noise cancellation, built in torch, bluetooth, multimedia, etc, etc

Perfect phone for you Bob.

samsung-solid-extreme

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Don't get an iPhone at the moment, especially with the 4th generation iPhone coming out. If you can't wait a couple of months get the HTC Desire, it's an android phone and is tipped to be "The iPhone killer"

The Desire is out on O2 at the end of the month and I can't wait, it looks awesome.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The Desire is out on O2 at the end of the month and I can't wait, it looks awesome.

It's just come out here and a few mates have picked it up already, problem is I would have to change provider

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Are you some kind of f**kin' drug dealer? FOUR phones? Either you're sleeping around with some seriously paranoid women, or you trade illegal arms to the Cubans...

(If in fact you are dealing in illegal activities, I swear I was only kidding. :Nerv: )

If only things were that exciting.
I am a regional manager for The Carphone Warehouse business services team, and have them as demo phones.

Only one of the Iphones is my personal phone, all the others I use to show customers.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am a regional manager for The Carphone Warehouse business services team, and have them as demo phones.
Can you arrange a discount for RRF members with more than 1000 posts? :)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Maybe get Carphone Warehouse to sponsor the site!

:chin: :biggrin:

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I'm just about to get an iphone 3s (as apple have said that V4 is fully compatible). Couple of questions for anyone please:
1. How does this site look/work on the iphone?
2. Are there any recommendations re good rugby applications for it?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
does it have access on it? or Access runtime?

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This site works well on the iphone due to the zoom function.

Rugby apps-
I have
GP App
PIK POk rugby kicking game.

there are quite a few more available, but I havent tried them

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't know about any rugby apps for the iPhone, I usually just jump on planet rugby to find out any news from the game. Never come on here on the iPhone though.

There are a number of apps which are a must for a iPhone user
Facebook (if you are so inclined)
urbanspoon
A decent weather app, in Oz its pktWeather
Peggle
Angry Birds
Shazam (music recognition app)
Bleep Test (for fitness)
100 push ups, 200 sit ups