Most Famous Rugby Player?

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think he probably had a very long career but age slowed him down. When I was playing I distingtly rememeber people regularly saying "Jesus Christ. He was a mile off-side!" and the like.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I hear he was great at the post match speeches, though I believe he was sent off once as a junior for using bad language to the referee, who happened to be Joseph, his (living) father, but that's another thread..

This led to the first set of the commandments, which were not widely publicised among the players:

1, Thou shall respect the ref.
2, Thou shall play the game on their feet.
3, Thou shall not bring the game into disrepute.
4, Thou shall not tackle another player above the shoulders
5, Thou shall not push in any other direction other than forward at the scrum.
6, The scrum shall engage when the ref reaches 3, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.
7, Thou shall throw the ball into the scrum straight.
8, Thou shall not use their hands in a ruck.
9, Thou shall not collapse a maul.
10, Thou shall not strike another player of the opposing team.

Last edited:

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I hear he was great at the post match speeches, though I believe he was sent off once as a junior for using bad language to the referee, who happened to be Joseph, his (living) father, but that's another thread..

This led to the first set of the commandments, which were not widely publicised among the players:

1, Thou shall respect the ref.
2, Thou shall play the game on their feet.
3, Thou shall not bring the game into disrepute.
4, Thou shall not tackle another player above the shoulders
5, Thou shall not push in any other direction other than forward at the scrum.
6, The scrum shall engage when the ref reaches 3, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.
7, Thou shall throw the ball into the scrum straight.
8, Thou shall not use their hands in a ruck.
9, Thou shall not collapse a maul.
10, Thou shall not strike another player of the opposing team.

I though the first, and most important, commandment was "Thou shalt wear no undergarment that covers the knees lest you suffer the mockery of your peers"

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I think he probably had a very long career but age slowed him down. When I was playing I distingtly rememeber people regularly saying "Jesus Christ. He was a mile off-side!" and the like.
So it's true then that he does still play a little.

I initially thought this linked article was a spoof :
Wellington's own Anglican Rev Nelson's answered this question :
"What position would Jesus play if he came back as an All Black?"
"He answered "He'd definitely have to be a scrumhalf."
Perhaps he has that on good authority, appearantly the bloke works for Jesus' Dad. Kinda of fits with the notion that he's slowing down too, since fullback is no longer his preferred position.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian do you know what year that "XV" might have been? There is evidence to suggest that Jesus had switched codes to Rugby League by the time he was 30 years old. Which makes sense, if you think of how he got each of the 12 to give up their day jobs before signing for him. Luke tells us that the hooker was Mary of Bethany, but this has never been confirmed by any of his team mates.

No idea what year, but it had to be early on.

I think you might be right about that switch of code. Most people know that Mr Iscariot played for the other side!!

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I feel the switch of codes may have been forced on them. If you consider that they were already having difficulty fielding a matchday 22. (See the bench with only two (FR?) replacements listed) Bear in mind too, that in 27 AD during the co-regency of Augustus and Tiberius, John the Baptist was beheaded. (It's generally accepted that this was politically motivated. Not great for moral to have the Roman Legion's 1st XV getting stuffed by a scratch Hebrew side. Guess we will never know the truth about that whole affair.) So then Jesus lost, perhaps the best out-side centre Israel has ever produced, just as he started touring with his new team. At least in League, he'd still be able to field a complete team with the luxury of having 3 replacements.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think he may have also played some soccer as evidenced by the Hebrew Times headline "JESUS SAVES ..... but Moses scores on the rebound"

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I though the first, and most important, commandment was "Thou shalt wear no undergarment that covers the knees lest you suffer the mockery of your peers"

Come on, this is well before any sort of undergarments were used. Props would bind onto back hair (in those days you couldn't be a prop if you didn't have back hair), Locks would bind on a double layered loin cloth (for toughness).

Teams were identified by paint (normally crushed up juniper berries, or black berries).

It is said that Nostradamus predicted that their would be a team from the south that would wear and all black kit that would be almost unbeatable in most games, but would struggle when there was any sort of competition that was further than the horizon (miles hadn't been invented) than their shores.

Seems he was quite good at this prediction stuff!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'll add Bill McLaren.

The verge of Scotland when diagnosed with TB.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
No; he played outside half for Newcastle, Toulon, England and the British and Irish Lions.
"Jonny" P. Wilkinson OBE not to be confused with Jesus H. Christ, different eras ATTR.

Speaking of different eras, Peter Fitzsimons once spoke about when "Moses became a legend at inside-centre for Jericho – splitting the defences wide open like no one had seen before".
Any one got a link for that club or a player profile?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"Jonny" P. Wilkinson OBE not to be confused with Jesus H. Christ, different eras ATTR.

Speaking of different eras, Peter Fitzsimons once spoke about when "Moses became a legend at inside-centre for Jericho – splitting the defences wide open like no one had seen before".
Any one got a link for that club or a player profile?

All I know about that team is Joshua played outside centre, and played the trumpet at the after-match.