Most Famous Rugby Player?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I infer you mean a famous person who has played rugby as opposed to a rugby player who is famous?
Famous person that played

Didn't Jesus play fullback for Jerusalem?

Having played in Jerusalem. I believe it is when "Paul when plays fullback for Jerusalem" I also think that is a Kiwi expression

Pope John Paul II

I have reason to believe that on is urban legend

MattyP

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In "Fitzsimons on Rugby", Peter Fitzsimons lists his World XV of celebs that actually played (great book, by the way). This link gave me an excuse to drag the book out, and so for you reading pleasure the XV is, with a little summary of their playing experience and some anectodes:

1. Meatloaf (played US college rugby, as he confirmed to Fitz in person when they were on an Australian talkback show together with Nick Farr-Jones - who he knew. "looks like a prop should... great on long bus trips").
2. Charlie Chaplin (Played at school in England.)
3. Idi Amin (Represented Uganda in 1956. Also Ugandan heavy weight boxing champ.)
4. Bill Clinton (Oxford Second XV secondrower. "By god he'd be a good man to go on tour with!")
5. Malcolm Fraser (former Australian Prime Minister. Played for his boarding school in Sydney.)
6. Pope John Paul II (Fitz says he is alleged to have played for Poland, but he couldn't get him on the line to confirm.)
7. Che Guevara (Played for San Isidro in Buenos Aires. Decided to forgo representing his country in favour of exporting revolution to Cuba. Also worked as a rugby journalist/match reporter for a while.)
8. Boris "Frankenstein" Karloff (Played in England, then became Founding President of the Southern Californian Rugby Union in 1935).
[love the backrow of the Pope, Che and Frankenstein...]
9. PG Wodehouse (Dulwich College, London. Also wrote match report for the school paper.)
10. JFK (unconfirmed. But "There is something of an unwritten law in rugby that the five-eighth has to be a good-looking bloke, with the aspect of one who has never had a glove laid on him, even after years of weaving his magical way through opposition defences.")
11. Kerry Packer (schoolboy experience, but his Grandfather won a cap for Scotland).
12. Richard Harris (in the fringes of Irish selection. Reported to British journalist Peter Jackson that he'd give up the lot - all his acting career etc - for one Irish cap).
13. Prince Edward (2nd XV, Jesus College, Cambrdige).
14. Jame Joyce (cf "Portrait of an Artist" - per Fitz, "No serious rugby team is complete without at least one whigeing wally out on the wing..."
15. Sir Edmund Hillary (token Kiwi. Played for Auckland Grammar School.)
Coach: Benito Mussolini (rugby nut, introduced rugby to Italy after seeing it in France in the 1920s, convinced it would go a long way to toughening up a population he wanted strong enough to restore the former glories of Rome. Pre-match speeches would be a highlight.)
Referee: Denis Thatcher (apparently was a ref - highpoint being a touch judge for a couple of Five Nations games shortly after WW2).

MattyP

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
George W. Bush probably would be a good inclusion somewhere on this. Tour mascot?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Richard Burton had it written into his contracts that he was not allowed to play after holding up filming on one occasion because he had a black eye from playing. Wing forward.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Kris Kristoffeson....David Hasselhof....Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson...did we ever find out the famous person you were thinking of?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
James Reiher

Now know as Jimmy "The Superfly" Snuka

Is this really famous person the same lines as "Ian Rush says if I drink enough milk one day i'll be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley", mate says "Accrington Stanley, who are they?" original boy say "Exactly" and they both get into the milk.

In others words "James Reiher, who is he?"

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Is this really famous person the same lines as "Ian Rush says if I drink enough milk one day i'll be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley", mate says "Accrington Stanley, who are they?" original boy say "Exactly" and they both get into the milk.

In others words "James Reiher, who is he?"

Who's Ian Rush?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No mention of my famous person in that article, makes me think he is not so famous, but I'm sure Barker, Jamo, and Cody will back me up on his popularity.

The definition of famous is NOT "me and my mates have heard of him" :shrug:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Didn't Jesus play fullback for Jerusalem?

Confirmed.

I just found a team list in an old "Ancient History of Hebrew Rugby" folder...

Israelites1stXV.jpg

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I could change the name to J. deNazareth is you like.
That'd be in keeping with practice at that time, for teamsheets.

This thread includes more than one urban legend : Karol Józef Wojtyła played soccer when he was young, not rugger.

Ian do you know what year that "XV" might have been? There is evidence to suggest that Jesus had switched codes to Rugby League by the time he was 30 years old. Which makes sense, if you think of how he got each of the 12 to give up their day jobs before signing for him. Luke tells us that the hooker was Mary of Bethany, but this has never been confirmed by any of his team mates.

:holysheep: Brutal what happened to the bloke with the whistle, in Taff's "Python clip", just after lost his calm with that women's XV side?