Naughty Sam

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
While I have little empathy for pitch invaders, I think players (rugby, cricket, whatever) should stay clear of getting involved. Sooner or later, someone will get hurt, then there'll be tears

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interestingly Bairstow was a hero for manhandling a protester at the Ashes, yet Cane was "caned". Interesting world.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Interestingly Bairstow was a hero for manhandling a protester at the Ashes, yet Cane was "caned". Interesting world.
Andrew Symonds took matters into his own hands, twice even.

I don't blame a player for wanting to take care of the situation, but as a coach I would be peeved at a player taking an unnecessary risk

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the governing bodies should outlaw it for a couple of reasons:
1. If either the player or the invader copped an injury it would be an ugly situation, and
2. It gives unwanted notoriety & publicity to the incident

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the governing bodies should outlaw it for a couple of reasons:
1. If either the player or the invader copped an injury it would be an ugly situation, and
2. It gives unwanted notoriety & publicity to the incident
Yes I am sure that if you asked a protester what would be the best thing (from their point of view) that could happen, they would say that it would be for them to be attacked by a famous player.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
While I have little empathy for pitch invaders, I think players (rugby, cricket, whatever) should stay clear of getting involved. Sooner or later, someone will get hurt, then there'll be tears

just putting this here,

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
just putting this here,
that was a terrible.

that was a somewhat different situation is that the protestor had actually attacked the referee, so in the situation is is justified to intervene physically to protect the victim from further harm.

Aside : doesn't everyone look different 20 years ago from the modern game?
- the players are generally significantly smaller and lighter than today's internationals
- David McHugh on the other hand! Did they have fitness tests for refs back then?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
that was a terrible.

that was a somewhat different situation is that the protestor had actually attacked the referee, so in the situation is is justified to intervene physically to protect the victim from further harm.

Aside : doesn't everyone look different 20 years ago from the modern game?
- the players are generally significantly smaller and lighter than today's internationals
- David McHugh on the other hand! Did they have fitness tests for refs back then?
Hampshire certainly did, as I remember from when pushing from C1 to B3.