[Kit] Neoprene lifting supports

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Rocky Marciano was 14.5st

People are just bigger.

Edit make that 13.5st - undefeated world heavyweight champion.

Joe Louis was 15st at the "fatter" end of his career.

Muhammad Ali was 15st 3lb when he beat Sonny Liston. Ali (as with most boxers of the time) didn't lift weights. His strength training came from heavy bag work much as Meads strength was derived from his job.

View attachment 3936

MITIGATE THAT DOWN TO A YELLOW!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That's a shade over 85kg - by comparison, this article came out earlier this year
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-world-under-85kg-xv-the-lightest-team-on-the-planet/
(and many of the suggestions "would have to slim down" to make it!)

A load of tiny elite backs.

Even today's "small" forwards eg Hooper are still 15kg heavier than 85kg.

Neil Back who is a previous generation and straddled amateur/pro transition was >90kg and was left out in the cold by Jack Rowell who wanted bigger back rows like Rodber, Clarke and Dallaglio.

Has 15 years of RL defensive coaching input contributed to the height of tackling?

Edwards, Farrell, Steadman, Kiss etc. have been very successful at the higher end of the game. Simon Middleton coaches England Women.

Dunno?

In terms of self induced concussion Leigh Halfpenny's tackling technique is awful - a point Hooper was trying to make about Patchell and Kerevi.

Apologies, this thread is wandering a bit - mostly caused by me! :)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Official response from the RFU via my society;

“If not listed, the clothing/gear has to comply with Regulation 12 and must be compressible. The plastic bits certainly would not comply with Regulation 12 and on that basis, these would be forbidden”

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Has anyone seen players wearing transdermal medical patches/devices? There was a reserve player at my game today wearing something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=omn...Ag&biw=360&bih=517&dpr=2#imgrc=gCXENVxhHQgEeM
Allowable? If it ripped off, any worse than bandage being pulled?
Any worse than the allowed GPS units? It's likely an insulin pump or some medical device and I didn't want to embarrass the player or myself asking too personal of questions.
I didn't see it at the boot check nor was it brought to my attention...caught my eye as I was refilling my water from the team's supply at halftime. Player never entered the game today so non-issue this time. But is there best practice(s) for this kind of thing?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Don’t think i’d be allowing that on my pitch, and would assume the elite players have very specific kit that’s allowed to be worn in acertain place, can’t see it translating to our level

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Official response from the RFU via my society;

“If not listed, the clothing/gear has to comply with Regulation 12 and must be compressible. The plastic bits certainly would not comply with Regulation 12 and on that basis, these would be forbidden”

Where can we find this list ? Whats on it ?
Sound like a list of rigid non compressible items you are allowed to wear??

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Don’t think i’d be allowing that on my pitch, and would assume the elite players have very specific kit that’s allowed to be worn in acertain place, can’t see it translating to our level
I agree, Elite squads are allowed wear GPS transponders at the back of their jerseys. In Sevens for example they include try scorer’s speed and acceleration in some highlights reels. Heart monitors also worn by all accounts. That surely isn’t allowed at Grassroots level, is it?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree, Elite squads are allowed wear GPS transponders at the back of their jerseys. Heart monitors also worn by all accounts. That surely isn’t allowed at Grassroots level, is it?

I don't see how something can be safe in one game , but not in another .

L'irlandais

Post Likes
So are they allowed outside Elite rugby. (No grassroots club could actually afford the kit, or any subsequent breakages.) But if given access, would they be allowed? Normal jerseys don’t have a pocket there.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know.
We need to find the "list" that the RFU refer to in post #23

(The kit isnt expensive? it's just a GPS tracker as in any running watch isn't it? . Cheapest ones around£50)

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The linked article in #27 shows it’s gotten fairly complicated these days.
At the very heart of the system is the Viper Pod, the matchbox-sized capsule that you may have noticed on the upper back of many rugby players. The pod weighs about the same as two AA batteries, but manages to pack heaps of technology into its miniature frame. Teams can wear the pod in a tight vest or in the small pocket now built into many jersey designs.
The second part of equipment the players wear is a thin hart-rate monitor that goes around the chest. Information collected by the two elements can be download by connection to a docking station, but can also be viewed live while a game or training session takes place.
No point in wearing the kit of all you want to know is how far each player has run during any particular game. That’d be like using a hammer to crack a walnut.
The ‘dynamic stress load’ records a player’s impact with the ground through their feet and as the amount of contact time increases, the likelihood of fatigue becomes more obvious. A tired player is far more likely to pick up an injury, so the increased dynamic stress load is constantly monitored. Moffett does stress that STATSports cannot predict injuries, but there are indicators in the data.

In IRFU-land it would be splashed all over their website if it was being used in the lower levels. I must go take a look.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Has anyone seen players wearing transdermal medical patches/devices? There was a reserve player at my game today wearing something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=omn...Ag&biw=360&bih=517&dpr=2#imgrc=gCXENVxhHQgEeM
Allowable? If it ripped off, any worse than bandage being pulled?
Any worse than the allowed GPS units? It's likely an insulin pump or some medical device and I didn't want to embarrass the player or myself asking too personal of questions.
I didn't see it at the boot check nor was it brought to my attention...caught my eye as I was refilling my water from the team's supply at halftime. Player never entered the game today so non-issue this time. But is there best practice(s) for this kind of thing?

I have never seen anything like this, but it looks to me that it is not soft, like a patch, so I would only be inclined to allow it if there was a letter from the manufacturer or medic who fitted it saying it was OK to play rugby wearing it, and I would doubt there would be one. I understand you might not want to call out the player on this, but you could have a quiet word with him alone? I know initially I felt a bit the same about asking ladies about piercings, but you can phrase it in a non-embarrassing way (I maybe don't) but i know that one lady did return to the changing room I presume to remove some covered piercing.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
....I would only be inclined to allow it if there was a letter from the manufacturer or medic who fitted it saying it was OK to play rugby wearing it....../QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend this approach.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the law book? 5.3

In non-international matches, the match organiser may decide to reduce the length of a match. If the match organiser does not decide, the teams agree on the length of a match. If they cannot agree, the referee decides.??

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In non-international matches, the match organiser may decide to reduce the length of a match. If the match organiser does not decide, the teams agree on the length of a match. If they cannot agree, the referee decides.??

Sorry, meant 4.3