[Law] Neverending rugby?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was watching the Champions Cup quaterfinals. In the last one, one side was down by 8 with the clock in the red and were intent on keeping the ball alive in an attamp to score - which is all commendable. But it is a cup game, so even if they had scored the try, time would be up and they woulld still have lost. They knocked on anyway.

Then I though, perhaps they were hoping that the other side might give up a penalty after the try was scored and before the conversion was taken - as under 5.7.d there is always time for the conversion and under 5.7.b you cannot end on a free kick or penalty, so you have to restart with a penalty kick on half way.

I am not sure I have actually seen a match restart with a penalty after foul play after a try has been scored - though I believe it has happened. Has it ever happened after time was otherwise up?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have done it twice (I think).
My memory is that - on both occasions - the team awarded the PK were so confused they took the kick as if it was a normal restart.

It's very rare isn't it. If would be extraordinary to happen after full time, but it's possible, and no doubt has happned somewhere.

I thnk most refs would rather blow for full time, if they possibly could !

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Scenario 1
Team A 21 Team B 12 Team B score with 81 on the clock. Clear and Obvious Foul play after the score by team A. B convert Score 21-19. restart with the PK. Why not? a converted penalty mean Team B get the win 21-22!

Scenario 2
Team A 22 Team B 0 Team B score with 81 on the clock. Clear and Obvious Foul play after the score by team A. B convert Score 22-7.

A second try with a conversion means Team B atill get nothing from the game. Technically you SHOULD give the PK. However, it might be wise to call an end to prceedings. Especially if there has been an undercurrent of bad feeling.

On the the issue of rarity.

Well, penalty restarts are very rare. In 53 years I can count the ones I've seen on one hand. So the incidence of penalties award after a try and after time is bound to be very low. Coupled with the, hoped for dicipline that you would hope would prevail in scenario 1 where Team A would just say 2Sod it but at leaset we are the winners and not be stupid enough to completely throw the game away.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Coupled with the, hoped for dicipline that you would hope would prevail in scenario 1 where Team A would just say 2Sod it but at leaset we are the winners and not be stupid enough to completely throw the game away.

Yiou'd hope so... but whilst appreicating this isnt about foul play, I refer the honourable gentleman to the French action with the clock red in the last round of the men's 6N.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am sure there was a top flight game a few years back that had a try followed by foul play.
They kicked the penalty from the half way line to win the game.

Can't remember who it was, but I can remember them kicking the penalty to win?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And theses days most sides ( at the semi and pro levels) have a kicker who is more than comfortable kicking that sort of distance.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And theses days most sides ( at the semi and pro levels) have a kicker who is more than comfortable kicking that sort of distance.
Sometimes even at grass roots. Some years ago watching a local side (now defunct) I saw a fly half who looked more like a second row kick a drop goal into the wind from the halfway line.

I learned later that he had been a soccer player.

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Schoolboys too, maybe with less accuracy. Tom Homer is an example.