new areas of emphasis predictions

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
lets get a thread going on the subject of refereeing rugby....

I have two areas of play in mind that I feel will become areas or emphasis within the next year.

1 - the "flop" as I call it. defending/side not in possession arrives at tackle, flops over the ball, feet and hands on the deck in a "downward facing dog" position, takes contact THEN pulls at ball OR acts as if he's pulling at the ball.

2 - tackler gets to the "right" side of the ball but gets to his feet in a manner where he takes away space/buys time for the tackled ball carrier. also, tackled ball carrier lays the egg and stays in a position where there's no way the opposition could win ball...etc...

those are my two that I see get handled differently by different referees. I don't allow #1 at all and even at the higher levels I hear grumbling about it. #2 takes many different shapes.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
1- Unless the defending player has abnormally long arms, he has to bend shoulders below hips to try and steal the ball. As long as he stays on his feet he's good to go. As long as he gets back up before attacking ruckers arrive, then no need to ping it. Wasn't this situation covered by the "reload" phrase we heard some SA refs use?
I would be more concerned about the attacking ruckers who seal off the ball and bind on the tackled player by grabbing his shirt.

2- Was squeeze ball covered previously in a law clarification/emphasis? Specifically where it has to be made available immediately?
I've seen ball carriers tackled and fall in a way that the ball is under them and they can immediately play it under them and back, this seems ok. But I've also ball carriers tackle, look at their options for placing/playing the ball, realizing they are not ideal then twisting to squeeze the ball under them - that's penalizable for not releasing. (Assuming there was an opponent challenging for the ball.)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
1, providing supporting own body weight (I'm assuming from your description they are in a 'Touch your toes' style position) then I have no issue with it, they are entitled to go for it. But must try to move the ball, not just have hands on it.

2, Penalty, every time, play the ball or F*ck off out the way! (As Bryan would probably put it).

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
you guys are missing my point...I didn't post asking for you to discuss what I think will be the areas of contention - I'm asking what others will think may be the new areas of concentration.

not what I'm saying robbie - I'm talking about 4 points holding the weight - two hands/arms and two feet/legs....take the contact - then grab at the ball...clearly off the feet to brace for the hit - then have a go.

guess we can go back to grammar...just trying to get a discussion going...

I think maybe I need to find a baseball coaching site....

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Blocking runners ahead of the ball Rugby league style withe the two waves of attack, see it every game now on the tv

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'll tell you tomorrow after I see what they've been coached in the off-season!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Oh, I know the one you mean, and then when have the ball normally use the clearing out players as the force to pull it back.

Interesting to see if this is being coached.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd like to see zero tolerance for offside attacking pillars ( essentially being an obstruction in channel 1). It's supposed to be one now but disappointingly IMO its been a half-arsed effort in applying it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am guessing one of them will be something to do with scrums?

The other will be something to do offside lines and creating space?

Can't be more precise than that.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I am guessing one of them will be something to do with scrums?

The other will be something to do offside lines and creating space?

Can't be more precise than that.

you forgot quick ball too...should nail every generalization now...

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Oh, I know the one you mean, and then when have the ball normally use the clearing out players as the force to pull it back.

Interesting to see if this is being coached.

I think it's totally being coached since some refs are letting it go. a bridge or barrier over the ball, take hit, pull and yell, "sir!"

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Yep, I agree we should be pinging that as they seal the ball and try to claim the steal, but it depends what the unions are saying to their refs.

Might be a consistency problem.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
ctrainor:227850 said:
Blocking runners ahead of the ball Rugby league style withe the two waves of attack, see it every game now on the tv

I'll agree with this. It seems the dummy runners not only run interference, but they also loiter offside/ take up space. And its not just one runner, but an entire line of them.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What I think the iRB will do (as opposed to what they should do) is continue their focus on on reducing time when ball is dead or not being played

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
What I think the iRB will do (as opposed to what they should do) is continue their focus on on reducing time when ball is dead or not being played
I heartily approve of this aim for televised rugby. Heartily.

Personally, for games in which there is the technological ability, I would be in favour of stopping the clock at each try and restarting at each restart, ditto for shots at goal. I wouldn't be wholly opposed to someone with a stopwatch stopping time at the award of a scrum and starting again when the ball is put in, but I can see some logistical issues with this.

Far too long of the 80 minutes in professional rugby games is spent fluffing around, waiting for the ball, or players to amble back after a try or a kick, or resetting scrums. It's a disgrace to see stats where the ball is in play for only 30-35 minutes of an 80 minute game. In my opinion, getting this figure up to somewhere near 60 minutes should be the aim of the IRB for professional matches.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I heartily approve of this aim for televised rugby. Heartily.

Personally, for games in which there is the technological ability, I would be in favour of stopping the clock at each try and restarting at each restart, ditto for shots at goal. I wouldn't be wholly opposed to someone with a stopwatch stopping time at the award of a scrum and starting again when the ball is put in, but I can see some logistical issues with this.

Far too long of the 80 minutes in professional rugby games is spent fluffing around, waiting for the ball, or players to amble back after a try or a kick, or resetting scrums. It's a disgrace to see stats where the ball is in play for only 30-35 minutes of an 80 minute game. In my opinion, getting this figure up to somewhere near 60 minutes should be the aim of the IRB for professional matches.
Although statistically this sounds great, there is the practical issue that players are trained to be fit to play under current conditions. We already have props being replaced after 60 minutes. Could players really manage significantly extended playing time?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd like to see them shorten half time... fifteen minutes is cold and boring up in the stands.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Saw that once yesterday but he got his arse kicked by the incoming attacker that cleared him off the ball. No real trends in the game apart from pushing the tackle laws to the limit. Let's see what the other big boys have been taught next weekend.

I think it's totally being coached since some refs are letting it go. a bridge or barrier over the ball, take hit, pull and yell, "sir!"