[Law] New Law Variations

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
How is everybody finding the new law variations??????

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
hi richard
generally no issues .

even with ball crossing line , or catcher jumping & knocking back etc .
all my line outs have thank fully been clear cut .

the only law i think was a pointless & a step back wards in terms of safety { especially at youth matches }
is the not advising scrum half when to put ball in at scrums .

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in grass roots games there is only one change that I think made a significant and important impact : tackler has to get back on the right side of the tackle and come through the gate. That made a lot of difference, and IMO has improved the game (and, as a bonus, made it easier to ref)

The other changes were interesting in theory - but in practice are bit meh.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Additionally, not kicking the ball out of the ruck has made breakdowns a little less scrappy. It's the one I've blown for most.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes, I've blown for that three times I think, which is three times more than I would have expected !

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes, I've blown for that three times I think, which is three times more than I would have expected !
This was penalised in the internationals over the weekend. But ref called Ball's out, ex-rucker kicked it forward (not out of receiver's hand) and SH ref seemed to get a late nudge from the AR leading to penalty. Commentators correctly identified the relevant variation but made no mention of the preceding call of "out".

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This was penalised in the internationals over the weekend. But ref called Ball's out, ex-rucker kicked it forward (not out of receiver's hand) and SH ref seemed to get a late nudge from the AR leading to penalty. Commentators correctly identified the relevant variation but made no mention of the preceding call of "out".

I felt that 'out' or not there was still a hand on the ball and therefore kicking the ball was a penalty offence.
Referee seemed a little timid when explaining his decision....which by the way was nothing to do with kicking the ball while a player had hands on as I refer to above.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I felt that 'out' or not there was still a hand on the ball and therefore kicking the ball was a penalty offence.
Referee seemed a little timid when explaining his decision....which by the way was nothing to do with kicking the ball while a player had hands on as I refer to above.

If that was in the Ire v RSA game then a combination of it being new to Kolisi and the Saffas AND the referee Ben O'Keeffe probably made for the lack of decisiveness.

Last edited:

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
hi richard
generally no issues .

the only law i think was a pointless & a step back wards in terms of safety { especially at youth matches }
is the not advising scrum half when to put ball in at scrums .
I tend to agree to he extent. Would love to hear World Rugby's rational behind this