KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
idea... speak to senior ref/refs/ref manager and ask what _they_ perceive the knock on effects of elite end... "interpretational arrangements"... are at grass roots?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was just listening to it

You say "the higher players go into contact the more concussion there is"
I would be interested in your source for that , as I believe the studies suggest the opposite : concussion is mostly suffered by the tackler, and it's mostly caused by head colliding with hips and knees.

High tackles are more dangerous for the ball carrier and it's possible they increase concussion in ball carriers (haven't really seen that analysed)

I think it's more likely than not that tackling lower will increase the total number of concussion.

But I would love to see some proper analysis of this ?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I wonder if the «*Philippe Morris effect*» is coming into play at the present time. Medical studies cost money, professional rugby is more likely to paid for studies that contradict/soften the idea that rugby has a serious problem with concussion. In any case I cannot find a report, that answers your question, online.

British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM)

On average, a professional rugby union player is more likely than not to sustain a concussion after 25 matches
How likely are clubs to reduce player match count?
Jonathan Sexton is protected by the Irish Union’s 18 (or 19) match maximum, yet he suffers regularly from concussion.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think there is a lot of very loose language used.
Do high tackles increase the risk of injury or the risk of concussion.
I suspect it's the former