New Rules of Play u9s - restarting after an injury

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Watched my younger son play a festival game under the NROP for the first time a couple of weeks back (I'm normally with my older boy). They were playing the unlimited tackles variant which I dont think works as well as the 6 tackle variant.

Anyway, my particular query at this level is how should play restart after an injury stoppage? In one match this was a specific issue as the opposition had one "fragile" player who seemed to stay down every time he was tackled. The referee stopped the play quite frequently to make sure this player was ok but each time insisted that play restart with my son's team 7m back (as per the free pass rule), instead of defending in a line immediately behind the tackle.

In short, a more cynical coach would definitely encourage his kids to relieve pressure by staying down, clearly not ideal.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
it would be sad if it were true (tactical coach approach).

I can see there being an argument for that answer...

In a seniors full laws game the restart would be a scrum to the team in possession. there are no scrummages in U9 NROP of course - and the equivalent would be AIUI a free pass with oppo 7m back. So all good then.

I sympathise with your experience. But would say that maybe at this age group its all about development, and this provides opportunities for

- players to understand the laws aren't always equitable in some circumstances
- players to get practice at defending from set piece scenarios

And frankly - that's life. Even allowing for it being truly "unfortunate" I'm not sure the ref should be doing anything differently. ?

didds

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i reckon it would be really hard to train U7s to fake an injury. lord knows it's hard enough to train them to run forwards and make passes!

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
U9s not u7s so marginally more able to run in the right direction, but not by much!

And yes, it is all about development. A bit annoying that good, hard, legal tackles were being rewarded with being marched back 7m all the time, but definitely not the end of the world.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Oh no.!!!! Aaaaargghhhhhhh

Is this correct ?, 6 tackle possession changeovers have extended from u8's into u9's Under this latest revamp ........ Pass me a vaccine , I must immunise our juniors !

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I sympathise with your experience. But would say that maybe at this age group its all about development, and this provides opportunities for

- players to understand the laws aren't always equitable in some circumstances
- players to get practice at defending from set piece scenarios

And frankly - that's life. Even allowing for it being truly "unfortunate" I'm not sure the ref should be doing anything differently. ?

didds
Not to be contrarian, but I would hope it is mainly about the kids having a good time.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Oh no.!!!! Aaaaargghhhhhhh

Is this correct ?, 6 tackle possession changeovers have extended from u8's into u9's Under this latest revamp ........ Pass me a vaccine , I must immunise our juniors !

Looking at the RFU site it seems that the 7th tackle turnover variant is optional and has to be agreed in advance:-

http://www.rfu.com/~/media/files/thegame/regulations/rfu_regulation_15_appendix_1b_2013

For me the 7th tackle turnover really speeds the game up and if little Johnny is not a confident tackler, but manages to make the all important 7th tackle, it a real confidence booster. From what I've seen the endless tackle variant just leads to coaches getting their big units to trundle up the pitch one tackle at a time, with no need to pass the ball. Happy to hear other views though.

imcx

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Yes, the only way of restarting at U9 is with a free pass. I agree a free-pass feels a little anomalous here (and for when the ball has hit the ref - yes I'm afraid it happened to me ) but any alternative would only overcomplicate the game. Of the last 6 matches I refereed, I only recall stopping for an injury/player-down 4 or 5 times. I reckon this was equally split between tacklers and tackled players.

As for the 7th tackle variant, I think it helped. With no contest allowed for the ball at U9, the only way for possession to change is from a handling error. This means many matches with unlimited tackles were a bit take-it-in-turns try scoring albeit through multiple phases. With the 7 tackle rule, there was more passing & offloading, more players were involved and the games were generally more enjoyable to watch and ref.

Playing 7 tackles did cause quite a bit of variation though in how referees played advantage for offside and this was the subject of debate amongst coaches. Some coaches wanted every offside blown up to reset the tackle count to zero. However, this would mean some matches would never really get going as you'd be stopping at almost every tackle. Some refs let almost all offsides go. I personally never quite reconciled the balance between how much advantage was enough depending on the current tackle count.
e.g. 3rd tackle on half-way line, defender offside, play advantage, attacker makes 10 meters and tackled (4th). Advantage over or go back to halfway line (0 tackles) for offside ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not to be contrarian, but I would hope it is mainly about the kids having a good time.

That was rather taken as read, but yes... absolutely.

didds

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I reffed the U9s at the Burnham on Sea festival last weekend. NROP with unlimited tackles. A really good 2 days.

WRT the OP, when stopping for injury or the ref tripping over a player (gave the parents a laugh) I generally moved subtly back 3 1/2m to make the mark for the free pass to the team in posession which led to initial contact around where we stopped. Equitable.

Having done U9s several times before at the same festival I thought that the skill levels this year in tackling, evasive running, passing, defence and general positioning were hugely advanced. In addition there were no endless uncontested scrum restarts for the pile of bodies that should be a ruck or for bees round a honey pot mauls. No uncontested anything for that matter. The games flowed much better, showed good skill all round and were generally entertaining.

Unlimited passes is not a problem for well coached teams and avoids issues re advantage. A flat line in defence, good line speed to close down the opposition and good tackling technique, or courage to hold on for 3 seconds, is enough to force either a knock on, loose pass or drive the attackers back at each phase. Good teams also put 2 players on to a wide ball carrier to hold them up and drive them in to touch before the tackle is called. So the better teams could still turn over possession and win well.

It gives a brilliant introduction to contact rugby. Plenty of time to introduce the other bits which are vital to our game.

There was also a significant improvement in the behaviour on the touch line. It has never been a problem at this festival but this year the positivity from the spectators and coaches was great, and I am sure that removing the ruck/maul pile ups was a major factor in that.

So overall I'm a fan of NROP

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Some coaches wanted every offside blown up to reset the tackle count to zero. However, this would mean some matches would never really get going as you'd be stopping at almost every tackle. Some refs let almost all offsides go. I personally never quite reconciled the balance between how much advantage was enough depending on the current tackle count.

e.g. 3rd tackle on half-way line, defender offside, play advantage, attacker makes 10 meters and tackled (4th). Advantage over or go back to halfway line (0 tackles) for offside ?

Ask RL if they reset to zero?!!!!!! Another code difference erosion smuggled in.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rugby union with a limited tackle count?! Blimey, now just start getting the defence back 10m and you're on the right track!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I reffed the U9s at the Burnham on Sea festival last weekend. NROP with unlimited tackles. A really good 2 days.

WRT the OP, when stopping for injury or the ref tripping over a player (gave the parents a laugh) I generally moved subtly back 3 1/2m to make the mark for the free pass to the team in posession which led to initial contact around where we stopped. Equitable.

Having done U9s several times before at the same festival I thought that the skill levels this year in tackling, evasive running, passing, defence and general positioning were hugely advanced. In addition there were no endless uncontested scrum restarts for the pile of bodies that should be a ruck or for bees round a honey pot mauls. No uncontested anything for that matter. The games flowed much better, showed good skill all round and were generally entertaining.

Unlimited passes is not a problem for well coached teams and avoids issues re advantage. A flat line in defence, good line speed to close down the opposition and good tackling technique, or courage to hold on for 3 seconds, is enough to force either a knock on, loose pass or drive the attackers back at each phase. Good teams also put 2 players on to a wide ball carrier to hold them up and drive them in to touch before the tackle is called. So the better teams could still turn over possession and win well.

It gives a brilliant introduction to contact rugby. Plenty of time to introduce the other bits which are vital to our game.

There was also a significant improvement in the behaviour on the touch line. It has never been a problem at this festival but this year the positivity from the spectators and coaches was great, and I am sure that removing the ruck/maul pile ups was a major factor in that.

So overall I'm a fan of NROP

encouraging to get warm support like this. I haven't seen the NROP in action (note to self -- go and watch it!)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
encouraging to get warm support like this. I haven't seen the NROP in action (note to self -- go and watch it!)
I am new to watching U9 rugby (or any mini rugby) since I last coached it in the 1980s, but have enjoyed watching my grandson's games this season. I think the NROP are a major advance on the game I knew and provide an excellent introduction to the key skills of running, tackling, and passing. The 7 tackle limitation encourages passing rather than dying with the ball, and emphasises team work.

I look forward to seeing the next stage next season. More importantly, so does my grandson.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Rugby union with a limited tackle count?! Blimey, now just start getting the defence back 10m and you're on the right track!

Exactly my fear, except its a different track , not a better one IMO !

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Good feedback, but linking less mauls/rucks to touchline behaviour improvements ?????........

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Good feedback, but linking less mauls/rucks to touchline behaviour improvements ?????........

I explained that earlier in the post Kevin, in that the 8 year olds previously tended to form piles instead of rucks and 16 man mauls. Resulted in endless uncontested scrum restarts = frustration all round.