Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There have been some amendments, and some new categories

A player must not disrespect the authority of a Match

This is a new category and the following entry points apply: -
Low: 2 weeks
Mid: 4 weeks
Top: 6+ weeks

A player must not verbally abuse a Match Official.

Verbal abuse includes, but is not limited to, abuse
based on: religion, colour, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation.

Low: 6 weeks
Mid: 12 weeks
Top: 18+ weeks

12, 26, 52+

A player must not make physical contact with a Match Official

Low: 6 weeks
Mid: 12 weeks
Top: 18+ weeks

18, 26, 52+

FWIW, id rather have seen the blue tariffs

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would tend to agree with your blue tarriffs.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Is the last one now a strict liability offence?

I.E. intent isn't required - if you touch the ref you are liable, regardless of the circumstances. That is the approach the NRL take - which I quite like.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
They're entry points, not the final points.

Speaking as a Discipline Chair - physical abuse of a MO will be counted in years not weeks. And I've been upheld on appeal.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A player must not make physical contact with a Match Official

not sure about this one. Players run into me, and vice versa, every week.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

Perhaps some of the players would like to get you banned.��
Just wondering if this works both ways. Ban for refs who run into players?��

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

The immediate thought I had wrt the NFL thing about any contact etc - that leaves a player "open" for being knocked by an opponent as part of the game into a referee.

didds

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I think I like the idea that contact with a ref is an offence, even if accidental. Players should respect the referee enough to ensure that they do not make contact with him or her, even if it means that they are disadvantaged. I am not a big leaguie but it does seem to work OK in the NRL.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But the sanction would be a PK
It doesn't seem in the spirit of rugby to PK someone for a clearly accidental contact (it might even be the Referee's fault, refs have been known to unexpectedly start, stop or change direction )

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The sanction table is only for offences serious enough to be cited. At that point, you're not talking about accidental brushing against a match official (which isn't an offence under the current laws).

But if there's a heated discussion with that turns to cardable dissent, placing one's hand on the ref's chest or grabbing his collar (etc etc) is a separate offence, as serious as personal verbal abuse, over and above any dissent bans earned.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think I like the idea that contact with a ref is an offence, even if accidental. Players should respect the referee enough to ensure that they do not make contact with him or her, even if it means that they are disadvantaged. I am not a big leaguie but it does seem to work OK in the NRL.

So if I am running with the ball with the ref several feet away following me with my blinding pace, and an opponent tackles me sideways several feet into the ref that is my fault and I should be penalised?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Depends on whether you laughed or not, when you knocked me down

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't like the idea of any contact being an offence - I can just see that back firing.

Imagine a close, tense game when the referee gets in the wrong place at the wrong time (as does happen). You get one team calling for a penalty, or you penalise a team for your own mistake. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yeah, the sort of thing Rich_NL describes, fair enough - and probably more than a penalty - but we've already started down the rabbit hole penalising what used to be called rugby incidents and such a suggestion should be resisted.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd be more concerned with the overly familiar contact to get attention, or during conversation, that has no aggressive intention being subject to PK.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure they mean deliberate contact Dickie; otherwise I'd be writing 2 or 3 reports every game. :biggrin:

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm pretty sure they mean deliberate contact Dickie; otherwise I'd be writing 2 or 3 reports every game. :biggrin:

These sanctions are designed to support & protect officials, whilst warning & discouraging players/coaches etc from engaging in any of the practices mentioned - in general i applaud, but would still rather have seen stiffer tariffs

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In general I think we as referees can recognise when a contact is accidental, or our fault from bad positioning; as opposed to a player just being a dick and wanting to give you a shove.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Its works in RL because the referees are behind the two lines of players at the 10m offside line, so everything is laid out in front of them. There are no rucks or mauls that they have to get into position for so that they can see what is going on, and the tackle zone is static, not dynamic like it is in RU.

However it can get a bit dicey when the game opens up a bit, and they can still have collisions between referees and players. This one is particularly sickening (don't look if you are squeamish).