Nigel in action

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can certainly see CR's point with telling players to shake hands. It was quite cringeworthy.

Though TBF that was textbook digging yourself out of a hole. Albeit a hole he unnecessarily dug himself into.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So St Nige has been very restrained for quite a while (he very noticeably got a grip in 2019 and quit the wisecracks etc)

But now the old Nigel is back

https://twitter.com/ITVRugby/status/1177151740996653056?s=19

What we think ? "Magnificent Refereeing" ? "Speaks to the players firmly and respectfully" ? (Quotes from Twitter)

Or is it a patronising way to talk to a professional athlete, and an international Captain to boot ?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can't view video. ...
However.....quit while you're ahead Nigel!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
We get it. You don't like Nigel. Does this actually add anything new to the debate, such as it is?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I presume you are referring to this quote:
Nigel Owens (Referee Compere Extraordinaire) said:
"You need to speak to your side and maybe speak to yourself as well."

The fact that it didn’t make the highlights reel, suggests the Pundits had no problem with his match day management/communication.
Personally I feel it was a fair comment. If the Team Captain is the offending player, then asking him to have a word with his team kinda misses the point. By adding (what you consider patronizing) he ensures the Captain 1 has a word with the other players & 2 realises that he needs to lead by example. Actions speak louder than words?

Love him, or hate him, Nigel Owens has his own particular way of refereeing a game. Don’t we all fall into that category ?

I couldn’t view the video you linked. Nor could I linked the Official match highlights, due to rights restrictions, and my being in France, while the clip is destined for the English speaking world.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
There was one ref - can't remember who, who asked/oversaw the players shaking hands.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I presume you are referring to this quote:

The fact that it didn’t make the highlights reel, suggests the Pundits had no problem with his match day management/communication.
Personally I feel it was a fair comment. If the Team Captain is the offending player, then asking him to have a word with his team kinda misses the point. By adding (what you consider patronizing) he ensures the Captain 1 has a word with the other players & 2 realises that he needs to lead by example. Actions speak louder than words?

Love him, or hate him, Nigel Owens has his own particular way of refereeing a game. Don’t we all fall into that category ?

I couldn’t view the video you linked. Nor could I linked the Official match highlights, due to rights restrictions, and my being in France, while the clip is destined for the English speaking world.

There's a Japanese Yorkshire bloke...there....bottom right!

I'll bet his whippet is sat next to him....just out of shot.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
There was one ref - can't remember who, who asked/oversaw the players shaking hands.

That was Garces or Poite I think. Dont think he asked then to do it, they did it of their own accord.

Im not a big fan of Nigel but I thought he had a good opening game.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Have to say i found it really weird to invite someone to smear their blood all over your jersey.

Not the smartest thing to do for a number of reasons.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
1. It can be harder to clean

2. its pretty disgusting to wipe your bodily fluids over someones jersey

3 why would you do it when theres a physio there to tend to him

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
1. It can be harder to clean cold water and Dawn detergent

2. its pretty disgusting to wipe your bodily fluids over someones jersey yeah, but I thought we were talking about NO being not smart

3 why would you do it when theres a physio there to tend to him Valid point, which makes NO insistence for the wipe a bit odd.

An analysis of NO in this moment could reveal varied ideas, ranging from kindness to demanding. I just wouldn't call it "Not the smartest thing to do". I'd call it peculiar based on this situation.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd call it peculiar based on this situation.

I'd call it stupid, not only from a blood borne disease point of view but also from a standards of behaviour approach. If a player deliberately wiped their blood on an opposition jersey/the ref it would rightly be a significant sanction. Why invite a player to do it knowing that camera's and microphone would pick up the exchange? Just plain brain fart material.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Leaving aside the other issues. Theses two points are not the sME.

If a player deliberately wiped their blood on an opposition jersey/the ref it would rightly be a significant sanction.

Univited

. Why invite a player to do it

Invited

A consentual act is very different to an imposed one.

On the actual point, before the fuss that aids brought (a lot of it now known to have been overreaction) it would not have have raised an eyebrow for similar events to tatke place, albeit a little unusual from the referee.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Leaving aside the other issues. Theses two points are not the sME.

Univited

Invited

A consentual act is very different to an imposed one.

On the actual point, before the fuss that aids brought (a lot of it now known to have been overreaction) it would not have have raised an eyebrow for similar events to tatke place, albeit a little unusual from the referee.

In the 150 year history of rugby , pre and post AIDS I bet no referee has ever done that before .. or ever will do again