Nigel in action

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree. Overall NO is clearly in the top tier of refs. I think few would dispute that he probably has passed his peak , but he is clearly still up there

I feel I am pointing out a largish molehill .. and people are reacting like I have committed a blasphemy :)

In a way, I have

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree. Overall NO is clearly in the top tier of refs. I think few would dispute that he probably has passed his peak , but he is clearly still up there

I feel I am pointing out a largish molehill .. and people are reacting like I have committed a blasphemy :)

In a way, I have

Do you not find it strange that you seem to be the only person that thinks this?

You frequently contribute useful posts and responses to the forum, but every now and again you plow a lonely furrow and steadfastly refuse to accept that you might be wrong, even when almost everyone else disagrees with you and heads in the opposite direction. I would suggest this is not a good trait for a referee so a little self evaluation might be handy.

I speak from experience since when I first came to the forum and refereeing I was the same. I would steadfastly refuse to accept that I was wrong on something, even when everyone else was telling me I was. Sometimes we all have to accept that while we might think we are right, the consensus of opinion is against us. This attitude doesn't help new referees looking for guidance either.

Keep posting the good stuff, but have a think about swimming upstream....its exhausting for everyone involved.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7--5Zhqd8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3BDzwTSq2g

It seems that for some, humor is an important part of their game experience.

excellent - but those are very different - neither of those is the referee making jokes at the players expense.

the first is Joe making a joke at the referee's expense (the boots comment is funny because it's from a player to the ref. If it was from the ref to a player it wouldn't be funny -- it would be an eye-roll moment)

the second is lovely bit of self-deprecating humour from Joe, and then from Luke

you can see the difference between that and #53, right?

@Phil - actually, I am not the only one tiring of NO ...
but happy to give the thread a rest for a while, until the next example

It's not a vendetta against NO -- on this thread I am the only person who thinks NO is likely correct..
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?21221-Control

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry guys, but I'm struggling to see the point of this thread (yes, yes, I know I don't have to look at it, but we all know it's not that simple)

We all know that context is very important, that what works for some referees doesn't work for others and, by and large, we're better off not copying NO's style.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry guys, but I'm struggling to see the point of this thread (yes, yes, I know I don't have to look at it, but we all know it's not that simple)

We all know that context is very important, that what works for some referees doesn't work for others and, by and large, we're better off not copying NO's style.

Agreed. Live and let live.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Toulouse Wasps , final minute, Nigel's bluff is finally called ..

He tells two players who had been skirmishing that they must shake hands
They refuse

Nigel says OK then , you don't have to

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
And the world didn't end. And things kept going.

It's like...a molehill.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Do you not find it strange that you seem to be the only person that thinks this?

You frequently contribute useful posts and responses to the forum, but every now and again you plow a lonely furrow and steadfastly refuse to accept that you might be wrong, even when almost everyone else disagrees with you and heads in the opposite direction. I would suggest this is not a good trait for a referee so a little self evaluation might be handy.

I speak from experience since when I first came to the forum and refereeing I was the same. I would steadfastly refuse to accept that I was wrong on something, even when everyone else was telling me I was. Sometimes we all have to accept that while we might think we are right, the consensus of opinion is against us. This attitude doesn't help new referees looking for guidance either.

Keep posting the good stuff, but have a think about swimming upstream....its exhausting for everyone involved.
Concenus on RRF, I think you omitted to use the obligatory sarkmark then. :sarc:
Perhaps crossref is in a minority of one, simply because most newbies daren’t comment for fear of being torn to shreds by the usual suspects on RRF. What is become tiring for others (imho) is the heavy handedness of those “looking after things” for Robbie Burns.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What is become tiring for others (imho) is the heavy handedness of those “looking after things” for Robbie Burns.

What heavy handedness....examples please?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am certainly in a minority on NO ..
but not a minority of one .. if you read around there are a growing number tiring of Nigel's antics, including as I think we saw yesterday, some players.
..and of late his antics seem to be more frequent.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
more from Saturday's game

In the same game All Blacks star Jerome Kaino called Owens "Superman" when a decision didn't go his way.

However the context of the dialogue between the two was open to interpretation.

The 81-times capped New Zealand enforcer has already found himself in hot water with European rugby chiefs picking up a five week ban for a high hit on Welsh international Jamie Roberts in their win at Bath in October.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes from his conversation with Owens on Saturday evening.

Kaino said to the Welshman: "Slap-down, sir!"

To which Owens replied: "Not that I saw."

And Toulouse back-rower retorted: "Even Superman misses stuff, eh?"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/nigel-owens-proves-yet-again-15558696

UpandUnder

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
This is a reason why banter should be kept to a minimum so the players don't get too comfortable with the ref and start using language which inadvertently becomes disrespectful.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Concenus on RRF, I think you omitted to use the obligatory sarkmark then. :sarc:
Perhaps crossref is in a minority of one, simply because most newbies daren’t comment for fear of being torn to shreds by the usual suspects on RRF. What is become tiring for others (imho) is the heavy handedness of those “looking after things” for Robbie Burns.

FTR I've been in CRs camp over this "shake hands" rubbish.

The laws have requirements and sanctions. What they don't have is made up stuff.

As it is, no biggie etc in reality. Which just shows what a thoroughly pointless exercise it was initially.

Being vaguely serious he painted himself in the corner and got called out. Just made himself look foolish potentially in the end. maybe.
Maybe he gets away with it cos he is Nigel. Bert Whistleblower at Old Twattonians Vths next week may not be quite so lucky having just undermined his authority himself.

Whatever etc.

didds