Nigel Owens.....Diva?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Watching N.O. in action recently I got the impression that he was somewhat arrogant and condescending in the way he spoke to players and his assisting officials.

I know he is a very good referee. ...but is he getting too cocky? (No pun intended )

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Yes. He does, at times, display the traits we don't need from a top ref.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
From really a neutral observer I've been interested by his interactions when AR... when he appears to at times actively seek to over rule the referee, and that the referee on such occasions seems happy to cow tow to him.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me, the moment he jumped the shark was his "Christopher... " to Chris Robshaw. That was patronising, and not an appropriate way to address any captain on a rugby field.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Do any players address him (NO) as Nigel?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am sure they call him Nigel in the bar, but on the pitch they call him Sir.

but you miss my point - it's not the use of the his given name (which, anyway, would be Chris) it's the scolding and patronising tone of voice.

perhaps you don't recall it -

I don't think any referee should use that tone of voice with a captain.
'but that was Nigel', you'll say, 'he can get away with it'

not for me.
(and I don't think he would have spoken to Richie McCaw like that!)

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I agree, But I think you are wrong regarding his given name he is, I understand, Christopher.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Mum only called me Christopher, with the inflection on the 'pher', if I had to confess or for dinner. Never knew which. Dad called me Tony which was my older brother's name.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree, But I think you are wrong regarding his given name he is, I understand, Christopher.

I think you are getting sidetracked
As an adult, and everyone calls him Chris
NO was being patronising..

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think you are getting sidetracked
As an adult, and everyone calls him Chris
NO was being patronising..

I responded to you saying his given name was not Christopher. whereas, it is. Why did you introduce it into the discussion if irrelevant? Why chose to sidetrack the discussion?

I've already said I agree that Nigel spoke out of turn. Perhaps if you object to me commenting on erronious side tracks it would be better not to post them. Just a thought.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If Tony Spreadbury had referred to him as "Christopher", I think everybody would have taken it as a joke. Tone can matter as much as the actual words. Transactional Analysis would classify that particular exchange as Adult to Child, whereas such things should be Adult to Adult, but it was far from being a particularly serious lapse.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Transactional Analysis would classify that particular exchange as Adult to Child, whereas such things should be Adult to Adult, but it was far from being a particularly serious lapse.

I agree with your analysis.. But not with your conclusion!
Well, in part I agree, as a one off it wouldn't about to much, but it wasn't a one off. For me it's an example of a pattern

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If Tony Spreadbury had referred to him as "Christopher", I think everybody would have taken it as a joke. Tone can matter as much as the actual words. Transactional Analysis would classify that particular exchange as Adult to Child, whereas such things should be Adult to Adult, but it was far from being a particularly serious lapse.

It's one example, among many, that point to the patronising attitude Nigel displays. Sadly, there was another example on Monday from Ben Whitehouse. He spoke like he was speaking to children. His mentors/ examples? The Nigels (Whitehouse and Owens).

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the whole exchange has been taken out of context.

Its the 72nd minute of the match. I'd bet my last dollar that this wasn't the first time Robshaw has questioned one of his decisions in that match. Nige had probably had a gutsful by then.

As regards communication with the referee, I put Robshaw in the same class as that former Aussie captain, Rocky Elsom... poor. When I watch Robshaw talking to referees, I see a person who is not listening, just waiting for the referee to stop talking so that he can get his complaint in.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree with you to a point Ian. However, the context, from the NO side is that it is yet another example of his attitude. I know referees who have worked with him in the Welsh league who find him patronising to them as ARs. Even to the point where he "forgets" to take his comms kit with him when reffing premiership games etc.

So yes context is important. The cult of ST Nige is something he relishes. He is a "TV ref" in the full sense of the term. chat / Game show host etc. The man is getting too big.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with your analysis.. But not with your conclusion!
Well, in part I agree, as a one off it wouldn't about to much, but it wasn't a one off. For me it's an example of a pattern
I didn't draw a conclusion. I just thought too much weight was being put on this one brief comment. If his attitude affected his refereeing, that would be a cause for concern.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess that question is the point of the thread.
IMO the answer is that it does, his communication style is becoming a weakness rather than a strength

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Professional rugby is entertainment. Perhaps he feels like he's part of the show. After all, he has his own clips on YouTube. What other ref has?