Nigel Owens loss of form

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the irb would certainly want refs to have logo on their forehead , they already make them wear stupid cameras on their chests...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As serious suggestion, creative partners have looked at technology that overlays brand messages on top of the transmitted content, either as a central feed for broadcast or from the set top box for Pay TV and through the broadband connection and browser / app for online services. Bit like the green screen CGI stuff used in films was the impression I got.

Its called "Virtual Advertising" and it already happens in football.

The broadcasters of "La Liga " digitally insert images over top of the local (to Spain) advertising boardings so that the inserted advertisements are targeted at the destination market. For example, Barcelona v Real Madrid at the Nou Camp, will have a set of advertising hoardings at the ground that target Spanish audiences. However, when the match is broadcast in Mexico, the hoardings display different ads, targeted at the Mexican audience, and when broadcast in Argentina, they will be different again.

It also happens in Baseball and Ice Hockey

V-Ads.png

The top photos are what the fans at the ground see. bottom two are what the fans see on TV

V-Ads2.jpg

Only the fans watching on TV see the "Subway" ad.

This is done using similar technology to that which shows the"first down line" (usually yellow) and and the "line of scrimmage" (usually black) on NFL and NCAA football broadcasts.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I somehow bet you didn't wait until the kicker was concentrating on his conversion to stop him and have a think about it though.

The whole big screen replay/ crowd reaction thing is getting out of hand and is placing far too much pressure on the ref.

I understand that FIFA don't allow replays of 'incidents' at grounds unless they have been ruled on. Could be an idea.

There are a number of things that I would implement as relates to the TMO and use of technology

► 1. TMO reviews are not shown on in-stadium screens until after the referee's/TMO decision is made. This would necessarily mean that the referee does not see the big screen replay (an issue dealt with in Bullet Point 4)

► 2. Replays of foul play are not allowed to be shown on in-stadium screens. If not dealt with by the TMO, they are not to be shown at all. If they are dealt with by the TMO, they can be shown after the decision had been made.

► 3. The TMO and both AR's may bring any foul play, or anything relating to a score to the attention of the referee. The review is not to be shown on in-stadium screens until after a decision is made

► 4. When the referee asks for a TMO review, it is the TMO who now makes the decision. The referee says what he thinks he saw, then he hands the decision making responsibility to the TMO who has the final say.

This point 4 works well in NRL. The referee says TRY or NO-TRY and the video referee can only overturn that decision if there is clear evidence that the decision is wrong. If its unclear, the referee's initial call stands.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
There are a number of things that I would implement as relates to the TMO and use of technology

► 1. TMO reviews are not shown on in-stadium screens until after the referee's/TMO decision is made. This would necessarily mean that the referee does not see the big screen replay (an issue dealt with in Bullet Point 4)

► 2. Replays of foul play are not allowed to be shown on in-stadium screens. If not dealt with by the TMO, they are not to be shown at all. If they are dealt with by the TMO, they can be shown after the decision had been made.

► 3. The TMO and both AR's may bring any foul play, or anything relating to a score to the attention of the referee. The review is not to be shown on in-stadium screens until after a decision is made

► 4. When the referee asks for a TMO review, it is the TMO who now makes the decision. The referee says what he thinks he saw, then he hands the decision making responsibility to the TMO who has the final say.

This point 4 works well in NRL. The referee says TRY or NO-TRY and the video referee can only overturn that decision if there is clear evidence that the decision is wrong. If its unclear, the referee's initial call stands.

Good post.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As a point of principle I disagree Have you never made a wrong decision, realised, and been able to correct yourself. ?
I once gave a try when a player scored on the 5m line. I think that when I realised what I had done, I was quite right to revoke the try, let's not be stupid about it.

Yep done it and had an assessor present. He found it highly amusing. The players took it well including the one who "scored". I got him to buy me a pint for "making me look a prat". Can you imagine that sort of reaction on football?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Ian's TMO ideas are not unreasonable. However, if you want to get 82,000 paying £50-£150 each in to watch England play, you have to be careful not to make the viewing experience worse that being at home watching sky sports. Likewise for televised premiership games - where some clubs do struggle to sell out. The replays are all part of the experience.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
IAN COOK- We had your point 2 in rwc07 ,am sure it and pt 3 will be back for rwc15 , re pt 4 think we will have something similiar but a bit nuanced ,also tmo will have hawkeye and hopefully a qualified assistant directing the producer what feeds to show him (ultra quick on hawkeye) hopefully these will not be on ground screens (too quick/too many anyway) which may show the obvious replays with citation that tmo is reviewing other angles.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Cleary often writes click bait rubbish so I approached that link with trepidation but his argument is well put (whether you agree with his opinion is another matter). I did chuckle at his lack of knowledge though.

Nigel Owens trusted his judgment at Twickenham in ruling that Aaron Cruden’s stretch had made it to the England try-line. It looked a fine-line call. Owens had already made his mind up and stuck by it. Fair enough. Except that it wasn’t. Given that the technology is used, and is there to be used, he ought to have gone upstairs to the TMO (or outside to the car-park where the TV trucks are based), and taken guidance as to whether the ball had reached the line, or indeed if it had been pushed rather than touched down.

Makes no difference if it is pushed rather than touched down Mick.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Makes no difference if it is pushed rather than touched down Mick.

Makes all the difference in the world.
You can place the ball in any direction.
You can push the ball in any direction.....except...forward.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Interesting interpretation.

I have always assumed that 15.5(g) overrides 15.5(c) and (d) as it specifically refers to the situation when a player is brought to ground near the try line. Otherwise 15.5(g) is irrelevant.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
15.5g says reach out and ground the ball.
If you push the ball along the ground it is already grounded.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
15.5g says reach out and ground the ball.
If you push the ball along the ground it is already grounded.

I understand how you reach that interpretation but you would be not awarding a hell of a lot of tries scored in this manner. Many forward bashes at the line result in a try being awarded to a player that lands short and pushes the ball forward.
An example of poor wording in the Law? Is the intent really to not have tries scored unless the 'short ball' is lifted off the ground and 're-grounded'?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
But it isn't a 'push forward' as might be understood elsewhere. His hand was on the top part of the ball the whole time.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rule on this "roll the ball forward" try

Grounded short but immediately rolled/pushed onto goal-line with no loss of contact bewteeen hand and ball

Try!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Phil, you cant selectively chop 15.5(e) to suit your point.

[LAWS]

A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except forward, provided this is done immediately.[/LAWS]

The pushing of the ball in the context of this Law means its a 'push forward releasing' which has the same status as a knock on or lost forwards....

The tackled player who pushes the ball forwards to score a try ISNT attempting to release it , he's still in the process on holding it (aka the momentum of a forward arm thrust not yet reached full extension distance) before it reaches its finished ground grounding position. If it helps call it a "momentum grounding"

Anything within his full arm/extended reach distance has to be considered perfectly fine.