Nigel Owens subjected to homophobic abuse

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pegleg to me this seems like an interview rather than an ambush question. But if it was an ambush question , something like -Ah, that was all well dealt with by the RFU last year, truly done and dusted, and I don't really have anything else to add now.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Just a thought. Since he was asked a question during an interview by a journo. Should he have:

1; Ignored the question.

2; Replied.

3; Refused to answer.

4; Done something else.

Answers on a postcard please Crossref

A postcard from Browner .... Reads

Dear Pegleg, I'd say that the chances of this interview not being prearranged with a scripted set of preagreed questions that align with someones agenda is .......simply so remote as to be not even considered !

Weather great , see ya soon
Xx browner xx

Ps, i guess youre much brighter than to believe that a rugby journo accidentally bumps into an international referee in llantescos , and takes the opportunity to ask about something that happened 4 months ago . :biggrin:

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think you are a little naive to think that in an interview, of course pre-arranged, a journo would not ask about an incident that occurred the last time he reffed at Twickenham. I think his answer is undertandable and reasonable. Of course for those who have agendas they may see things differently.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I think you are a little naive to think that in an interview, of course pre-arranged, a journo would not ask about an incident that occurred the last time he reffed at Twickenham. I think his answer is undertandable and reasonable. Of course for those who have agendas they may see things differently.

I coudnt see any other matter being discussed where this subject got tagged onto the end of it ??? no agenda here Peggers me ol wooden pin - other than chastising anyone promoting their own , as in this case. Whilst you're a referee then stick to rugby NO, leave politics to non referees !!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That's the equivalent of telling non white footballers, referees or managers to shut up about racism in their sport. Beyond ridiculous as an idea.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
On other news. The BBC a hey!!!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/su...ocock-claims-homophobic-slurs-in-waratahs-win

I'm not saying the Referee heard it, but (at this level) isn't the referees 'initial' position only ever going to be that he hasn't heard it, because otherwise he's forced to act .....or is he???? But if the referee does act, what can/should he do?

Is it a RC or YC offence? & in terms of abuse is it above calling someone a "Fxxxxxg Ugly Taff Wxxxxr" ( as a hypothetical example) mid match ?