Nigel Owens subjected to homophobic abuse

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2014/11/rfu-to-investigate-alleged-homophobic.html

It's sad to see this in the game. I feel sadly that this is only to the fore because someone took issue with it and pointed it out. It most likely happens a lot more.

While I am totally opposed to any sort of homophobia or discrimination it has to be said that Owens now has a sizeable media profile bigger than any other Elite referee and I think that is starting to have a bit of an effect on the game as a whole. I have always been told that a good referee is not noticed in the game by supporters but every game Owens does now has a talking point with him to the fore. This I believe is attracting this negative element to him. It's a bit like the Kim Kardasian effect...the biggest light attracts the dimmest minds.

A superstar who can be so controversial at times by the nature of his profession is bound to attract trolls who will use race, sexuality, religion or anything else to get to someone.
The idea he is the "best referee" in the world intrigues me. He is one of the very best however when people say he is the best I wonder if they mean to referee a game or to officiate one? Is a great to watch with his quips or is he human like use all and prone to the odd error?

I'm not totally sure if the issue of raw homophobia is so much a rugby issue or just a human nature one. You will always have these people in any group who will just hate anyone different or just throw barbs at those who annoy them as a referee does regularly.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its disappointing to see this kind of boorish crowd behaviour migrating from that other game into ours. IMO, its not specifically homophobia, but just a general move toward poor crowd behaviour, with certain elements using racist taunts as well. Disgraceful is what it is. I hope the RFU is able to track down these arseholes and ban them for a very long time.

I thought the crowd at Twickenham for the test was generally OK, but there was a minority element among them exhibiting "soccer fan like" behaviour. Most people accept that there will always be a bit of booing during the match in support of their own team, but the way a small element of the crowd booed and catcalled the NZ captain while he was giving his after match media interview was nothing short of effing disgraceful and well below the standard I have come to expect over the years from English crowds. When England were here in June, NZ crowds were nothing other than respectful of Chris Robshaw during the after match pleasantries; it a pity that a few mindless yobs in the Twickenham crowd let their side down by not repaying that respect in kind.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Its disappointing to see this kind of boorish crowd behaviour migrating from that other game into ours. IMO, its not specifically homophobia, but just a general move toward poor crowd behaviour, with certain elements using racist taunts as well. Disgraceful is what it is. I hope the RFU is able to track down these arseholes and ban them for a very long time.

I thought the crowd at Twickenham for the test was generally OK, but there was a minority element among them exhibiting "soccer fan like" behaviour. Most people accept that there will always be a bit of booing during the match in support of their own team, but the way a small element of the crowd booed and catcalled the NZ captain while he was giving his after match media interview was nothing short of effing disgraceful and well below the standard I have come to expect over the years from English crowds. When England were here in June, NZ crowds were nothing other than respectful of Chris Robshaw during the after match pleasantries; it a pity that a few mindless yobs in the Twickenham crowd let their side down by not repaying that respect in kind.

I read an article around this subject in a paper/tv web page yesterday. It pointed out that in the unlikely event NZ fail to make the RWC final that could have been the last appearane of RMC at Twickenham (I don't know if that's correct or I've misread it) and as such the behaviour those who booed him during his post match duties was akin to booing Pele during his farewell appearance.

I don't like Twickenham. You'd think out of 82,000 (or whatever) the chances of being sat within earshot of a dickhead would be slight yet HQ never fails to deiver in that respect.

There's too many corporate w@ankers and chinless home Counties types who irritate the life out of me with their ill informed clap trap and xenophobic views. My penultimate (2006/7) visit saw me putting a bloke in a Wasps shirt right on a few points about Andy Farrell and his qualifications to play top class Rugby.

Anyway enough of my prejudice. I notice the bloke who wrote to the Gruniard was from South Yorkshire!!!

Swing Low during the Haka was irriatting but I don't want to kick that old chestnut off again.

The Welsh crowd seemed to be making a bit of a din when Foley was kicking too.

IME no one except the Irish shut up during kicks nowadays. The French have always whistled it's as traditional as the Haka!

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was there and the only chant was you don't know what your doing by a group of fans in league tops.
"We" myself the wife and some lads from the royal Anglian regt told them that this is union not league

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
has to be said that Owens now has a sizeable media profile bigger than any other Elite referee and I think that is starting to have a bit of an effect on the game as a whole. I have always been told that a good referee is not noticed in the game by supporters but every game Owens does now has a talking point with him to the fore. This I believe is attracting this negative element to him. It's a bit like the Kim Kardasian effect...the biggest light attracts the dimmest minds.

The idea he is the "best referee" in the world intrigues me. He is one of the very best however when people say he is the best I wonder if they mean to referee a game or to officiate one? Is a great to watch with his quips or is he human like use all and prone to the odd error?

i agree with this.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The RFU are homing on the abuser and are now looking for a middle aged man of average height wearing a flat cap, green waxed jacket, maroon corduroy trousers and brown brogues. :biggrin:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Crowd behaviour gets worse year on year. I stopped going to internationals years ago when a player was booed as his name was announced before the game. His crime? Playing for the wrong "region".

Top level rugby is getting further from its roots and I don't like it. For those who do, you are welcome to it. This season sees my last pro season ticket and it's back to grassroot rugby for me. It's less cynical as a whole.

It's a problem that rugby has caught up on. Football has long been a haven for idiots well rugby is catching up fast. The arrests in Cardiff on international day are on the increase. It's just not fun anymore.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I disagree. It is no worse than in years gone by. It is just now easier to report it and report on it via social media, etc.

But I wonder if I'm any better? I play & sing along to this whenever the Jappies give us a thumping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

Stop Dickie, regurgitating old humour will make you a target for a personal attack , oh no sorry, that satirical ( and outdated) clip laughs at another SH powerhouse. Only the Humour bypass brigade wouldnt see the satire wit in it.

Seriously though, I first went to HQ in 1983 to see Murray Mexted and Hika the hooka get nudged by Dusty Hare's right boot ( a rare win) , and IMO the respectfulness of the crowd is definately trending the wrong way IMHO, although I do see another touchline trend , spectators getting offended by banter.....

"Cmon ref Finlay seems to have brought his own offside line with him" would've traditionally brought a " he packs it only for the English game big man " from some jovial jock. Nowadays its more likely to receive a " Pish Off you bigotted Eng Twit " response , shame really.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't like Twickenham. You'd think out of 82,000 (or whatever) the chances of being sat within earshot of a dickhead would be slight yet HQ never fails to deiver in that respect.

Yep, normally a drunk Welshman IME.

Swing Low during the haka is great. As Ian Cook points out, others can respond to it how they like. Would have been a great atmosphere.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
And fined £1,000 each to charity, although I don't see how the RFU can enforce that, unless the Police were involved? Well done though RFU :clap:
I've had a beer and it's late, so I haven't got time to read the whole article, but does that article name the guilty 2?

If not, I assume it's a case of the RFU saying "You've agreed to pay £1,000 to charity. As long as you do, we will respect your privacy. If you don't pay up, we will name and shame. Clear?"

St Nigel on FB said that he'd offered to meet them for a chat. If they didn't apologise and take it on the chin PDQ, I suspect it wouldn't have been enjoyable.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'm rather dissapointed that NO has gone to press on this again ( especially the " abuse my refereeing" strapline) , this is taking preventatives a tad too far Nigle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...Nigel-Owens-ahead-of-Six-Nations-decider.html

I'd rather that ....
Shout a bit of abuse and friendly banter by all means and I hope that is never lost from the terraces.

Was rewritten/quoted as......
Shout a bit of friendly banter by all means and I hope that is never lost from the terraces.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree Browner, I thought this was all dealt with (well dealt with) and done and dusted last year, don't really see the point of NO bringing it back up again.

On the topic of banter, I'd like to ask NO is whether he regrets his own on-field remark earlier in the season, something like 'down the middle please, I'm straighter than your last throw'
It was mildly amusing, but am not sure it was wise: is there really any reason on field, to refer to anyone's sexuality ? Better not to go there, really.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
So if someone had shouted from the terrace "you're straighter than the last put in by the #9 ref", would that have been OK? :shrug:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
So if someone had shouted from the terrace "you're straighter than the last put in by the #9 ref", would that have been OK? :shrug:

I never saw it quoted that NO heard the alleged abuse, supporter Keith Wilson supposedly did, and apparently complained on his behalf.

I suspect NO is heading ( positioning ) himself in the politics of this subject, perhaps he has designs on another career as a political /agenda spokesperson (aside from his various T-shirt sales lines ! ) after his (test) whistle is blown for the final time.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I agree Browner, I thought this was all dealt with (well dealt with) and done and dusted last year, don't really see the point of NO bringing it back up again.

On the topic of banter, I'd like to ask NO is whether he regrets his own on-field remark earlier in the season, something like 'down the middle please, I'm straighter than your last throw'
It was mildly amusing, but am not sure it was wise: is there really any reason on field, to refer to anyone's sexuality ? Better not to go there, really.

Just a thought. Since he was asked a question during an interview by a journo. Should he have:

1; Ignored the question.

2; Replied.

3; Refused to answer.

4; Done something else.

Answers on a postcard please Crossref