NLDS Exchange - November

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
Greetings everyone,

I'm coming over in a few weeks on my society's exchange with the NLD Society. As of today, here is my schedule. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tev

Saturday 10th November 2012
Ashbourne vs Wolverhampton, RFU Midlands Cup

Sunday 11th November 2012
NLD 20s vs North Midlands U20s (Open...being moved to another date)

Wednesday 14th November 2012
Univ Nottingham Women vs Univ Birmingham Women

Saturday 17th November 2012
Newark vs Old Northamptonians

Sunday 18th November 2012
Melbourne U14 vs Market Rasen U14 or NLD 20s vs North Midlands U20s

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Disaster! My daughter is at Nottingham Uni (very nice campus - you'll like it), and I would have played hookey for a day to come and see you (and perhaps her!). But that day has one of the few unmovable appointments in my diary - grrr!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
tevis - remember...only 6 tackle pks, keep your kpi's up and your non compliance's down...dammit...

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
Too bad Dixie, it would have been nice to catch up w/ someone from the site. If it is not too far, maybe a post match conference? I ran a Notts Univ 2nd v Loughborough 2nd match during my '08 exchange. It was a real cracker jack, w/ NU stealing victory within the final minutes. From what I recall, the "Looga Barooga" boys were a few table spots higher than Notts and they had a winning streak against the Notts boys. The Notts captain gave me a training top after the match, which I still have. Nottingham University is indeed a nice campus.

And Jamo...damnitall indeed.

Last edited:

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Saturday 10th November 2012
Ashbourne vs Wolverhampton, RFU Midlands Cup

Ashbourne are playing good, expansive rugby at the moment. Their back row is excellent, and will get over the ball quickly. Shouldnt have any issues with discipline, they are a well drilled side. Wolverhampton were average when I did them last year, didnt really do anything particularly well.

Sunday 11th November 2012
NLD 20s vs North Midlands U20s (Open...being moved to another date)

Good standard of representative rugby. It will be quick and very competitive. Both sides will be made up of mainly level 5 and 6 players who play in good sides regularly.

Saturday 17th November 2012
Newark vs Old Northamptonians

Newark were unbeaten last season and went up to Midlands 1- I am refereeing them on the 10th so will be able to tell you more. They are a quality side with strength everywhere. Level 6 club through and through.

Sunday 18th November 2012
Melbourne U14 vs Market Rasen U14 or NLD 20s vs North Midlands U20s

Melbourne always put out strong junior sides, and play expansive rugby given the chance.

See above

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Disaster! My daughter is at Nottingham Uni (very nice campus - you'll like it), and I would have played hookey for a day to come and see you (and perhaps her!). But that day has one of the few unmovable appointments in my diary - grrr!

I am refereeing Nottingham Uni 2nds tomorrow v Worcester, and I believe the ladies are playing Edinburgh at home as well.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am refereeing Nottingham Uni 2nds tomorrow v Worcester, and I believe the ladies are playing Edinburgh at home as well.
You don't give a guy much time to organise anything!

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thanks a bunch, upnunder. I'm staying w/ Paul Teagger for the duration, so perhaps I will see you soon.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Will do, Paul doesn't live far away, I will pop over.
Dixie, the ladies game was called off last night, but in true student style, nobody told the referee, who took the afternoon off work to do the game and turned up to find none of his teams anywhere to be found

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
Well, the first weekend is in the books. I'll post on Saturday's cup match with Wolverhampton at Ashbourne, but here is a note on today's match. I had a U18 Colts' match, Ashton on Mersey at Buxton, and it was fun. Both sides were light on numbers, but the boys played with a ton of heart. Buxton won with 13 mins left due to the mercy rule. I got a great compliment from the Ashton coach. "Sir, you really brought the game up today. With us being short on numbers and arriving late, you could have gone about today in a ho-hum mood. But you didn't. And I'm real appreciative of how you gave my boys encouraging words when the game was out of hand. They don't hear that enough at this level, although it is heard at the younger ranks. This may be a U18 side, but they're still kids and kids get discouraged after matches like this. And that leads to poor numbers at training. Thank you sir, for encouraging my boys to not quit today."

This is one of the things that I love about rugby.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
that's great, what a credit to our sport.

the polar opposite of some U15s coaches i saw today!

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
My first match was a real cracker jack, Wolverhampton surviving a furious comeback by Ashbourne, 23-22. And Ashbourne were at home. Great game by both sides. The opening 10 minutes or so was very quick. With this being a level 7 cup match and both towards the top of the draw, it was clear that they were trying to show "I'm boss of this match." After settling in, the two teams went back and forth with long periods of play where everyone touched the ball. My assessor noted that a Wolverhampton try came from 20 plus phases. Even at the highest level in the States with two quality sides, a try with that many phases is very rare. It was nothing fancy, just good rugby: an occasional "pick and go" from a ruck with several "pass through the hands" that started inside their 22.

Ashbourne took the points to draw 17-23 with 10 minutes or so to go. In what would be the finest moment of the day, Ashbourne drove deep into Wolverhampton's territory and was awarded a scrum 5 after being held up in goal. From the resulting scrum, Ashbourne scored the final try with no time on the clock. The scrummie went strongside with the first pass, only for the flyhalf to quickly change direction after spotting that the weakside winger was left alone. He scampered in untouched for the try, but was blocked from touching down under the posts. Personally, I think he had the opportunity to get there, but the mark was just to the left of the posts. Unfortunately, the hometeam missed the conversion and thus dropping them out of the cup.

Nothing better than having both coaches, captains and several players say, "Well played ref, well played." The Ashbourne captain said, "Sir, I really have nothing to say as you had a brilliant game. And I don't give that compliment away too often. Will we see you again on your tour?" The Wolverhampton coach felt that I was too slow on the ruck breakdowns, only for my assessor and host to say, "Coach, not so. When the quick ball was on and the defense slowed it down, he penalized the offending side. He had 3 unplayable rucks today and those were correct: ball carrier rolled on top of tackler w/ ball between them, tackler took out support player while rolling away and a proper ruck-out caused 3 players to lose their feet, covering the ball." Upon hearing that, the coach said, "Well, you have the numbers and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But no matter sir as you had a great game. I would welcome you as ref with my side anyday."

And with those words, my post match pint of Smooth went down smoothly.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/ashbourne/s/match-report-18656.html?fixture_id=1520065&official=0

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well done.

How come Wolverhampton play in the NLD Cup?

Christ - there's not TWO Wolverhamptons is there? :wow:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Even at the highest level in the South East with two quality sides, a try with that many phases is very rare.

T: fixed that typo for you. also, good to see you're sporting the pink...my xxl is comparable to a junior medium.

sounds like a very fun match! good work!

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
Come now Jamo, save for some of the rarest matches, most teams in the States kick out of the 22. And yes, that jersey is a XXL, which is funny because it fits me like my Gilbert "L". I brought this one to conflict with my society jerseys, yellow and orange.

Lee, this was from the NLD Intermediate Cup.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
XXL is skin tight on you! Jebus, mine's an L!

Maybe we should get you down sarf to experience some decent rugby:horse:

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think it might have been the EDF Intermediate Trophy.
Tevis, how come you were wearing full comms, was it a team of three, or was the assessor shouting at you?

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
I think it might have been the EDF Intermediate Trophy.
Tevis, how come you were wearing full comms, was it a team of three, or was the assessor shouting at you?

Yes, the comms was for the observer.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Now that's an exchange!
Why do I only get Yorkshire and Durham:shrug:
I would be available for New England exchange. Flights and transport only expenses as I could stay with my uncles in Boston area.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Overseas exhanges usually involve the travelling referee paying for his own flights at least. Unless staying with local family / exchange referee etc, hotel costs (often heavily discounted) are paid by the incoming referee.
Travel to & from matches and entertainment are laid on by the host Society (sometimes out of the home referees' who are going on the exchange back own pockets).

It is only when you get to L5 and Panel that travel & accommodation costs are paid by RFU. And of course specials like Stockholm, Amsterdam, Lisbon or some Spanish Sevens tournies when organisers pay for travel in liason with the English Society.

I was lucky that I organised many of my exchanges around business trips so the company paid for my flights :biggrin: