No Quick Throw in at U13

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
This seems to be a new [English] "myth" as I've heard it twice now since the new year.

Never heard it before. I guess it's from coaches moving up from the Continuum.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
*sigh*

where do these bloody myths come from?

thanks for the heads up paul!

didds

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
but aren't quick throws introduced somewhere in the continuum?

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
but aren't quick throws introduced somewhere in the continuum?

No they are not allowed up to age 12 (extract of U12 continuum below)

9. Line-Outs
(a) If the ball or player carrying the ball goes out of play, a contested line-out at the point at which the ball or player crossed the touchline will take place. If
a lineout is awarded within 5 metres of the goal line, the line out is to be
taken at a mark 5 metres out from the goal line. The opponents of the team
who carried or last touched the ball before it went into touch throw the ball
in. A quick throw in is not permitted.

At U 13 and above the U19 variations apply allowing QT and variable numbers in line out.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ah, maybe that's changed since i coached. i'm sure we used to do it. mind you, it was a long time ago.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
we (U14) had a visting team from East Midlands two weeks or so ago.

they were adamant that up there all clubs at u14 play 30 minute halves and that short lineouts are not allowed.

Both u13 and u14 are 25 min halves and short lineouts are OK (and at U14 not even uncommon)

We talked abou it in the bar after. They said that clearly the laws were different in different regions, and they thought it was about time everyone got together and agreed these things. They simply wouldn't accept that this has been done - within England - and is laid out in the U19 variations. I almost went and fetched the U19 variations from my kitbag where i have a copy...... but common sense prevailed and we had another pint instead.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
we (U14) had a visting team from East Midlands two weeks or so ago.

they were adamant that up there all clubs at u14 play 30 minute halves and that short lineouts are not allowed.

Sadly there aren't enough of us in East Mids who can do Sunday mornings so "club refs" (i.e. Continuum dads who were thinking about doing the ELRA one day but now the kids are nearly 15, they're not going to bother as they'll almost certainly get society refs next year) tend to be involved (most clubs don't even ask for society refs for U14 and below games).

We talked abou it in the bar after. They said that clearly the laws were different in different regions, and they thought it was about time everyone got together and agreed these things. They simply wouldn't accept that this has been done - within England - and is laid out in the U19 variations. I almost went and fetched the U19 variations from my kitbag where i have a copy...... but common sense prevailed and we had another pint instead.

Want to share with me (perhaps privately) which club you're talking about?

I could get someone from the CB to "have a word"..