Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done SG.

You should be aiming for 15 minutes JAM test

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Glad I made that decision. A thoroughly enjoyable match. Gave about 6 penalties all game (and about five of them were in the first ten minutes of the second half). Fast and well skilled with players on their feet and the ball coming straight back without hinderance at the ruck.

Biggest laugh (from my point of view) was at the line-out. Cardiff Medicals brought in the receiver without dropping a player back into that role. Quick blow, explain that someone has to drop into receiver if they do that and go again (just as I did in Hampshire). They then do exactly the same thing again. :chin: No sympathy from me that time...

Had an 'observer' (for want of a better expression). The guy who was down in Hampshire with me turned up to find his game was cancelled, so stopped to watch mine as he was there. He thought it went well, as did the players, so I'm happy - just proves the value of fitness/practice I suppose.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Biggest laugh (from my point of view) was at the line-out. Cardiff Medicals brought in the receiver without dropping a player back into that role. Quick blow, explain that someone has to drop into receiver if they do that and go again (just as I did in Hampshire). They then do exactly the same thing again. :chin: No sympathy from me that time...

Excuse a tired brain in the office but...

If Cardiff were throwing the ball in, why can't their receiver enter the line without being replaced? He's allowed to perform all functions in the line now (law 19.10 exception 2). There is no requirement for there to be a receiver, and the law even says the thrower can go and occupy the receiver slot if it is empty (implying it can be empty)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Extract from Ruling 4 of 2004
Q1. When can the receiver enter the line-out to jump or support a team-mate? After formation of the line-out and before the ball is thrown OR when the ball is thrown in. i.e. when it leaves the throwers hands?
A1. The receiver can enter the line-out when the ball leaves the throwers hands.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Of course, if the throwing team's receiver enters the line he affects 'Numbers' and the opposition receiver might choose to do the same. Why a throwing team would not want anyone as receiver must be a very Cunning Plan.:chin: