Nominations for most boring half of rugby

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
SA v Wales 2nd June 2018
Need I say more.

And just as I post the above Wales score a try! Perhaps change title to ‘boring half hour’....

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The first half wasn't a good advert for the game was it! :sad:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was there.

Matt Carley didn't have, to my eyes, a great game.

Forward passes missed. Obvious knock ons - missed.

How the YC wasn't a PT I'll need explained. Live, I called PT. The TMO view didn't dissuade me.

And the number of time I said "don't play rugby in your 22"...only for something bad to happen? I could be on the Beeb for my prescience.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Thought that perhaps the missed fps and knocks-on were due to the comms difficulties that Matt was having. Giving them the benefit of the doubt. This is the technological problems you have in these third world countries!��

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
None of the parties to the "contest" can take much out of the game. From the coaches through to the TV coverage! I concur with all the above comments.

As nailed on a PT as you could wish to see. Mind you, it did provide an "interesting" Twitter debate where one person claimed that it was not even an offence becasue there are NO offences in in-goal.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... As nailed on a PT as you could wish to see. Mind you, it did provide an "interesting" Twitter debate where one person claimed that it was not even an offence because there are NO offences in in-goal.
Please don't tell me it was Stuart Barnes. :biggrin:

... Matt Carley didn't have, to my eyes, a great game. Forward passes missed. Obvious knock ons - missed. How the YC wasn't a PT I'll need explained. Live, I called PT. The TMO view didn't dissuade me.
As Balones mentioned the "comms" were playing up a bit and I can't help feeling either that the Ref may have turned a blind eye to some of the errrr .... less obvious knock ons or forward passes just to avoid another boring scrum.

I quite liked the Ref, but the scrum wasn't his best phase of play. What the non-rugby playing American TV viewers made of them, I dread to think. :sad:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I thought the scrum surge that followed as a nailed on PT.
If Sir had not blown surely SA were going to score under the posts.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Please don't tell me it was Stuart Barnes. :biggrin:

As Balones mentioned the "comms" were playing up a bit and I can't help feeling either that the Ref may have turned a blind eye to some of the errrr .... less obvious knock ons or forward passes just to avoid another boring scrum.

I quite liked the Ref, but the scrum wasn't his best phase of play. What the non-rugby playing American TV viewers made of them, I dread to think. :sad:

YOu are being very kind to sir. I thought, perhaps, that he was dragged down to the players level. I'm not sure he was fully understanding of the what was happening at scrumwang. He looked "confussed" at times.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought the scrum surge that followed as a nailed on PT.
If Sir had not blown surely SA were going to score under the posts.

Can`t play advantage on a wheeled scrum.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
anyone got a link to the game online? This sounds so bad I need to watch it!

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
anyone got a link to the game online? This sounds so bad I need to watch it!

didds

When you're lying on your death bed, running all your regrets in your head, this will be 80 minutes you will wish you had back again.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yep, could have been listening to London 7s on the WR radio like I was.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was there.

Matt Carley didn't have, to my eyes, a great game.

Forward passes missed. Obvious knock ons - missed.

How the YC wasn't a PT I'll need explained. Live, I called PT. The TMO view didn't dissuade me.

And the number of time I said "don't play rugby in your 22"...only for something bad to happen? I could be on the Beeb for my prescience.

Re: the non PT. I didn't think it was nailed on as there were other red players there to interfere had the ball not been knocked out. It was deserved for stupidity, though!

I thought there might have been a comms issue - there were quite a few instances of chasers being in front of the kickers which I'd have expected an AR to pick up.

But I thought his handling of sealing off was a bit inconsistent (and can't really blame the comms for that.) Obvious cases being let go then some very harsh penalties.

I did think he got on top of the scrums, though. It was looking like they were going to blight the whole game, but TBF he did get solve that problem, even though it took a while.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Genuine question on the play that some are saying should have been a penalty try. To summarise, green kick into in-goal. Red defender and green attacker race towards ball. A second red player is in the vicinity but not as close as the first two players. Red deliberately slaps ball out of play. The conversation between the referee and TMO was that it was a penalty but that the covering red player was in a position to make a tackle.

My question is, do we still use the concept of 'beam me up' here? If the red player is deemed to have acted illegally, I thought the next stage was to judge what would have happened if we make the assumption that he 'disappears'. In this case is there any doubt that green would have caught the ball and grounded it?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
At elite level they are no longer using the beam me up principle

At grass roots level, AIUI we continue to use it, but refer to the secret email sent out by your society defining policy

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Genuine question on the play that some are saying should have been a penalty try. To summarise, green kick into in-goal. Red defender and green attacker race towards ball. A second red player is in the vicinity but not as close as the first two players. Red deliberately slaps ball out of play. The conversation between the referee and TMO was that it was a penalty but that the covering red player was in a position to make a tackle.
I honestly thought it was going to be a Penalty Try.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I honestly thought it was going to be a Penalty Try.
So, to his credit, did Gareth from Pembrokeshire and now Wilmington NC, who was sitting next to me.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

My question is, do we still use the concept of 'beam me up' here? If the red player is deemed to have acted illegally, I thought the next stage was to judge what would have happened if we make the assumption that he 'disappears'. In this case is there any doubt that green would have caught the ball and grounded it?

I'm not sure if BMUS is still on or not, but even if it is, there were 2 or 3 other defending players very close, bringing into doubt the probably-ness of the try.

mark.lucas

Post Likes
There was cynical play - deliberately throwing / knocking the ball over the DBL (hence the Yellow) but no Foul Play which would have meant a PT.

I was the time-keeper and the radio issues were not related to the refs (team of 5) radios provided by Potomac :hap: but the broadcast radio set so that no-else could hear what was going on.

Even from the touchline it wasn't the greatest game of rugby with both teams blooding their B team before the summer tests. Felt sorry for Red 20 who was presented as a sub at 78' but never got on to get his cap.

Last edited: