Non Compliance?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Level 9 league match. Away team (blue) are winning 20-17. Time has elapsed. Next time the ball goes dead it is no side. Physios are in attendance.

The home team (red) have possession in their opponents' 22. They are retaining possession well and making progress towards the goal line. About 10 metres out from the goal line, a blue player goes down injured with a suspected collar bone injury about 10-15 metres away from play. Blue's physio runs on to attend to the injured player whilst play continues.

Play subsequently progresses within close proximity to the injury. I whistle and call time up for the safety due to play getting too close to the injury. The player is attended to and is helped off the pitch.

What should I have done next?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
equity would say to allow the scrum.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Difficult.

I would be tempted to go with Dave's suggestion.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Well clearly the ball was dead. But...
Scrum seems fair, if a tad outside the letter of the Law.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How did a player get injured when 10-15 metres from play? Have I misread something?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
How did a player get injured when 10-15 metres from play? Have I misread something?

Injured during play, play moved away and then back laterally.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I whistle and call time up for the safety due to play getting too close to the injury. The player is attended to and is helped off the pitch.

What should I have done next?
If you had really called Time Up (i.e. game over), I'd suggest you run for the safety of the changing room. As noted, if you hadn't mentioned the state of play on the watch, I'd allow the scrum as an equitable arrangement. If at the previous stoppage you've said "last play" or something equally determinative, you've painted yourself into a corner. The only way to extricate from that corner is to appeal to the defending captain's better nature - but as he's probably a back row, he is unlikely to have one.

Moral of the story - never be precise as to time unless you wish to be painted into that corner.

Jabba

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Safety, Equity Law. Blow for the safety of the player and physio, scrum re-start to the team in possession for equity and worry about the Law later!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you had really called Time Up (i.e. game over), I'd suggest you run for the safety of the changing room. As noted, if you hadn't mentioned the state of play on the watch, I'd allow the scrum as an equitable arrangement. If at the previous stoppage you've said "last play" or something equally determinative, you've painted yourself into a corner. The only way to extricate from that corner is to appeal to the defending captain's better nature - but as he's probably a back row, he is unlikely to have one.

Moral of the story - never be precise as to time unless you wish to be painted into that corner.

That was a typo. I meant 'whistle and call time off'.

I did what you all said and restarted with a scrum.

The resultant scrum went round 90 degrees legally resulting in a turnover and no side as it is a new scrum.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with sentiments above. At Level 9 - no doubt in my mind, but to make the safety blow, and have the scrum.

Now we have a second question after it goes 90 degrees - is it a new scrum (as LoG state) or is it a reset (in equity) ? Did you manage it and call " use it" ? Had blue been winning their own ball and stayed solid for the previous scrums, making a turnver scrum a formality ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Now we have a second question after it goes 90 degrees - is it a new scrum (as LoG state) or is it a reset (in equity) ?
Yes, Law 20.11 (b) says "new", but it does not say the previous scrum was "completed", which is the wording in Law 5.7 (e).

A few years back I remember Chris White in an international allowing the turnover scrum after time had expired.