Not retiring 10

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
dixie...one thing this site has taught me is how to open the law book and how to read it. I was being serious asking what he had looked up. best way to learn. if everyone were to request being spoon fed like cody we would have half the members on ignore lists.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
dixie...one thing this site has taught me is how to open the law book and how to read it. I was being serious asking what he had looked up. best way to learn. if everyone were to request being spoon fed like cody we would have half the members on ignore lists.
Ddjamo, you do yourself an injustice - I'm sure the site has taught you much more than that! :wink: Throughout the vast majority (if not all) of your tenure on here, we've taken time to nurture and develop new refs, spoon-feeding if you like, recognising that reffing is a lonely calling, and that people need a warm and cuddly place to come and pour out their woes to a sympathetic group. If, in that environment, you've nevertheless managed to learn to open and read a law book, why do you assume that the newcomers will not learn the same thing over time?

I doubt there's a question bothing a new ref that hasn't been asked and answered before. If all we do for a new ref is to grouse that they didn't a) check the good book; and b) use the search function, then we may as well close the forums and treat the accumulated wisdom as an archive. My own preference is to allow anyone in need of help to ask any question at all that's bothering them, and get a thoughtful, considered and considerate answer from people who have been there and worked their way through the difficulty - with or withoout support from the group on here. That way, the enquirer will develop knowledge and in time may well feel motivated to return the compliment for a new generation of referees. I certainly hope so. Those who disagree can simply add more and more names to their ignore list, and everybody wins.

Perhaps I'm weird, but I have an empty ignore list.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think this a delaying tactic perfected by experienced captains to us less experienced refs. It starts of as "please sir, was that penalty for ....." at the start of the game, builds to "please sir, what was that penalty for?" and achieves its aim with "please sir, can you explain that desicsion", just when the opposition want to take a quick tap 10m from the try line and you stop the game to explain the descision. And when I realised what the captain was doing I felt a bit like "i've been had". I asked a more senior ref about how to deal with this and he said that if the captain wants to talk to you, let him do so, but don't stop the game - he'll soon realise you are having none of it. If only it was that easy!

As other people have said, don't explain at a penalty. I always say "all comments and questions through you, but at downtime only, and I'll explain not debate, ok?" in my briefing to skipper.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Ddjamo, you do yourself an injustice - I'm sure the site has taught you much more than that! :wink: Throughout the vast majority (if not all) of your tenure on here, we've taken time to nurture and develop new refs, spoon-feeding if you like, recognising that reffing is a lonely calling, and that people need a warm and cuddly place to come and pour out their woes to a sympathetic group. If, in that environment, you've nevertheless managed to learn to open and read a law book, why do you assume that the newcomers will not learn the same thing over time?

There's probably a tolerance level that varies for all. I give a lot of credit to the referee coaches out there that work with the newcomers; they have infinite amount of patience and (at that level) the learning curve is pretty steep so there's always something to talk about after each game. Others (myself included) would lose their mind, despite acknowledging that at one point in life we too were equally as ignorant.

However, there's still a line to be drawn. Where it is (if it exists) varies from person to person.

Perhaps I'm weird, but I have an empty ignore list.
I suspect most of us have an empty list(?). I know as a one of the site mods I wont ignore anyone as I feel it's important to read comments in case things get personal and the "staff" need to start hammering folks with bans. It doesnt mean I read every post, but I wont ignore anyone.

ruareftrev91

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
All referees have their own variation on what they say in their pre-match re asking questions.

I always say "only the captains may ask questions re any decisions, but don't question any decision as I've never known any to change in your favour"
It usually works but when it doesn't I invite them to walk 10m with me towards their goal line to discuss it.