[Law] Number of replacements

manager

Post Likes
It appears the number of replacements allowed (at level 4 and below I think) has dropped to three. Can someone explain the rationale behind this? I'm struggling to understand. Thanks.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
at a guess I'd say that the idea is to have more people playing on a Sat afternoon, rather than being a sub. Drop down to the 2nds instead and get a game ??

manager

Post Likes
I suppose so. Funnily enough it was a 2nds game I was watching that made me think about it. They had one replacement (obviously the surplus first team replacements didn't feel inclined to join in!). The opposition had two red cards in the first half so we should have enjoyed a two man advantage. Unfortunately we suffered so many injuries that with the lack of replacements it became 13 v13 anyway!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I suppose so. Funnily enough it was a 2nds game I was watching that made me think about it. They had one replacement (obviously the surplus first team replacements didn't feel inclined to join in!). The opposition had two red cards in the first half so we should have enjoyed a two man advantage. Unfortunately we suffered so many injuries that with the lack of replacements it became 13 v13 anyway!

somewhere out there is a grass roots referee who really did NOT enjoy his Saturday afternoon ! :)

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
RFu regulation 13 Appendix 2
10. The number of replacements and substitutes in all League Matches shall be as follows:
(a) National League 1 and National Leagues 2 North and 2 South (Levels 3 and 4): not more than five;
(b) at any Level below Level 4: not more than three (unless a variation has been authorised by the Organising Committee under RFU Regulation 13.1.4).
11. The number of replacements and substitutes in all Play-Off Matches at any Level below Level 4 shall be not more than four

Not sure that this has changed, I thought it had been like this for a while

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
3 replacements and 8 interchanges where I operate at level 7 and 8, it's been like that for a long time

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
3 replacements and 8 interchanges where I operate at level 7 and 8, it's been like that for a long time

For the avoidance of doubt, the '8 interchanges' is a maximum, and includes up to 3 replacements and any blood bins

manager

Post Likes

Apologies I had no idea it was so few...having just come up from Colts where it is the complete opposite. I had just assumed the regulations were the same all the way through the senior levels.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Apologies I had no idea it was so few...having just come up from Colts where it is the complete opposite. I had just assumed the regulations were the same all the way through the senior levels.

As Camquin, Ctrainor, and Balones say there is no change and it has been 3 replacements at League levels 5 and below (so below Level 4 =National 2) for as a long as I can recall.

Be careful to check Cup matches (RFU and County) regulations as those Comps have higher numbers of replacements, with the pro rata increase in the number of interchanges too (number of replacements + 5).

You no longer have the rolling subs of Colts and Schools rugby, hence the max interchanges being set.