Number Question

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for picking out player numbers? I'm only catching them about half the time and it does wonders for your credibility when you have a number.
Thanks

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
50% is pretty darn good for an L3. sounds like you're on the right path. just keep doing matches and you'll get more and more each time. but I personally will use their position or description if needed. like in a heated pick and go sequence near the line...I need to push a pillar and I see he's a prop I may say, "PROP last foot" or "big man - back up." point right at him with one hand and make eye contact if possible...he'll jump.

at the tackle - nothing wrong with, "black tackler roll" or "red tackler out."

in time you'll pick up more and more as the game "slows down" for you.

hope that helps.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Look at the back row & SH's. remember what they look like and their numbers, as it'll be them you speak too most. the rest are normally on the floor, so you should be able to catch the number, if you can't, try moving so you can.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree with Robbie. Use your warm-up time to familiarise yourself with both 7's in particular: hair colour, tattoos, general build - those are the guys you'll need your eye on the most. Once you've got them, do the same for the 6's, 8's and 9's in that order. That'll increase your percentage dramatically.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The bugger is when you do the prematch and they don't have their headgear on. You mentally note - "Ok the 7 has blond hair", then all of a sudden he doesn't.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thanks everyone for the tips. I was half expecting someone to point out that it's easy, the numbers are on their back.

Just as an aside, I had a womens match where the numbers were in the front of the jersey ad well as the back, which made my life a lot easier.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just as an aside, I had a womens match where the numbers were in the front of the jersey ad well as the back, which made my life a lot easier.

Yes, I can see how that would help ...images.jpeg

"Roll away, Black 17 ...... no, your whole body please"