Numbers in uncontested scrum

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my game on Saturday I had uncontested scrums.

After a few scrums one of the teams asked me if they could drop the #8 from the scrum when they were defending, and have him the line instead.

I can't see any reason why not, but it made me wonder why why don't see more experimentation with numbers when scrums are uncontested. Eg on an attacking scrum, why not drop to six, or five, putting your back row in the line. At the very least it might bring confusion to the oppo.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes

After a few scrums one of the teams asked me if they could drop the #8 from the scrum when they were defending, and have him the line instead.

I can't see any reason why not, but it made me wonder why why don't see more experimentation with numbers when scrums are uncontested. Eg on an attacking scrum, why not drop to six, or five, putting your back row in the line. At the very least it might bring confusion to the oppo.

See Law 20.1(e)

15 on the pitch, must have 8 in the scrum.

14 on the pitch, you have the option of 7 or 8

13 on the pitch you have the option of 6, 7 or 8

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well there is the answer (blush)

In my game, for most of the game neither side had 15
We started 15 v 13, and uncontested, it was a rout and the winning team voluntarily dropped a player to make it 14 v 13 , then a sub arrived so we were 14 each, later after injuries the winning team lent players to the losing team.
Neither team ever got back to the full 15

It was on of those afternoons. Final score 108 - 0

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well there is the answer (blush)

In my game, for most of the game neither side had 15
We started 15 v 13, and uncontested, it was a rout and the winning team voluntarily dropped a player to make it 14 v 13 , then a sub arrived so we were 14 each, later after injuries the winning team lent players to the losing team.
Neither team ever got back to the full 15

It was on of those afternoons. Final score 108 - 0

Cor blimey guv'nor!

There was a league match (albeit the bottom tier) in Yorkshire this weekend just gone that finished 143-5

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Not if they have 15 players on the pitch - see Law 20 in the good book.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
if it was the team that didn't score I may have been tempted to turn a blind eye

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
What age were they?

At U19 scrums have to match - contested or not.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
these were adults. For some reason even when they playing with variously 14 or 13 players they were both packing with eight.

but I get the answer now : with 14 players you can have 7 or 8 in the scrum.
with 13 players you can have 6,7 or 8 in the scrum.

So I was right to let them remove their #8.