[Law] NZ v Canada

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Kieran Read try - no TMO, Poite must have seen something not obvious on slow mo replays on TV.

Appreciating he is the sole judge and he is much closer than a TV camera etc...

didds

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Think it was given as a PT, at least reported as such on the live feed site in front of me, assuming for off feet / not releasing or somesuch, I though Read had cocked it up and nocked it back into the field of play, but seemed like Red Shirts piled straight on him, although no YC so not sure.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ah - that may make some sense

cheers

didds

PS no video available as yet as game still in progress

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Definitely was a PT. No conversion.

Not sure what the offence was though.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did you get to watch all of the game ? :wink:

Yes, in fact I did. That's because I was home, not out of town at a funeral. The ITV commentary team questioned the awarding of the try, until a few minutes later when one of the commentators (not Martin Gillingham) noticed that there hadn't been a conversion, and so realising that the grounding didn't come into it because it was a PT.

As to your original comment, I am growing tired of hearing all the conspiracy theory crap that Tier 1 teams get preferential treatment from referees. Someone who calls themselves a rugby referee ought not be buying into that BS because it reflects badly on referees in general, especially when promulgated by a referee on a referee's forum.

If you want to discuss baseless conspiracy theories, find a general rugby forum like Planet Rugby - and don't tell them you're a referee.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I haven't seen it and Video clips have been in very short supply this RWC I can't find one available in UK

Is there anyone who saw all the game who could comment?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I haven't seen it and Video clips have been in very short supply this RWC I can't find one available in UK

From the clip I saw a Canadian was pick and driving a metre out from AB line and Read basically dropped his shooukder into his back as he fell. Whether he contacted head, neck, shoulder or back was hard to see from that clip

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I'm watching the RWC 2019 app in Croatia and this incident is shown in the highlights.

NZ were on for the pushover try. Read picks up the ball from base and goes for the line however he goes to ground early and short of the goal line. The Red #9 attempts to pick up the ball and the ref deems he was off feet so PT. I thought it was harsh as Read (now on ground) wrestled for the ball and was conceivably the illegal player.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The NZ PT is here https://youtu.be/OflypaJat2g?t=50 I can see why it's given, Red was straight off feet although NZ holding on too.

Don't recall and can't find the other incident

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm watching the RWC 2019 app in Croatia and this incident is shown in the highlights.

NZ were on for the pushover try. Read picks up the ball from base and goes for the line however he goes to ground early and short of the goal line. The Red #9 attempts to pick up the ball and the ref deems he was off feet so PT. I thought it was harsh as Read (now on ground) wrestled for the ball and was conceivably the illegal player.

Good description , that is certainly a strange one... I don't think even the most one eyed kiwi fan would call that a stone cold PT ... would they?

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Copied and pated from the other thread;

Both players heads less than a ft from the ground, about 50 mins 40 on the time line for UK peeps at https://www.itv.com/hub/rugby-world-cup/1a9562a0119

Can't see a citing as not a Red card I don't think, arguably a yellow (that would cause uproar from ex players) as there was contact with head as Read went for the chop tackle on a pick and go

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
an aside. Not overly impressed with WR highlight packages. 3:20 total taken up by the first 45 seconds being pre-game rubbish

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good description , that is certainly a strange one... I don't think even the most one eyed kiwi fan would call that a stone cold PT ... would they?

Initially, thought it was marginal. Even when I realised it was a PT, I still thought it was marginal

Read goes to ground and has possession of the ball so maybe he is entitled to place it in any direction, including forward over the line. If so, then the law says any opponent on their feet is entitled to prevent the try by taking the ball, but Red nine was off his feet so it could be construed that he illegally prevented Read placing the ball over the line.

As I said, its marginal

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At the time I thought Read had fluffed his first attempt to place it and was setting the ball for another phase so as to be not accused of a double movement (I know!) but on replay, yeah he got it wrong, but he was never given the opportunity to place it forwards so technically prevented the try and would be a penalty anywhere else on the pitch - but we let all sorts go once over the line so can see why they would feel hard done by.

Is it not supposed to be a compulsory Yellow Card though ?

Best article I've seen so far was titled "NZ don't need that kind of help!" :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
an aside. Not overly impressed with WR highlight packages. 3:20 total taken up by the first 45 seconds being pre-game rubbish

Same with ITV in UK

In UK most rugby is now on BT sport and they a really excellent at tweeting out clips of every incident that people might discuss.. which then all get retweeted and remove the need for pirate clips

ITV don't seem to have the same expertise