Offences at the Tackle

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
If you had to list the offences you see at the tackle, what would they be?
Under the following headings:

By the Tackler

By the Tackle Assist

By the Ball Carrier

By Other Players

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
By the Tackle Assist
not letting the player up

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
OK, I'll have a stab at it.

By the Tackler
  • Not releasing the ball carrier and the ball
  • Not getting up or rolling away
  • If the ruck has already formed playing the ball from any direction
By the Tackle Assist
  • Not coming in through the "gate"
  • Not staying on his feet
By the Ball Carrier
  • Not releasing the ball
By Other Players
  • Not coming in through the "gate"
  • Not staying on his feet

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you had to list the offences you see at the tackle, what would they be?

By the Tackler Dangerous tackle; failing to release; lying on top; lying on the wrong side; playing the ball on the ground; obstructing the arriving oppo players

By the Tackle Assist Failure to release; playing the ball from the wrong side; obstructing the arriving oppo players; shoulders below hips; bridging; sealing

By the Ball Carrier Illegal hand-off/fend; holding on; failure to roll away; taking a second bite at the ball once it's been placed; "double movement" in an effort to score (sorry about that!); wriggling to get between the ball and the oppo; adopting squeezeball position when it becomes clear support is slow;

By Other Players shoulders below hips; illegal clear-out; going to ground; side entry; saddle roll;

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm not quite clear what you are after. Doesn't Law 15 contain all the answers?

Or are you asking which are the most common offences?

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I'm not quite clear what you are after. Doesn't Law 15 contain all the answers?

Or are you asking which are the most common offences?

Yes I was after which offences people thought were most common. I personally felt tackler not rolling away would be the most common problem, but a lot of those who I have asked have also said that the tackler not releasing is a more common occurrence for them. But overall, I reckon it's the tackler who causes most of the problems that we have to intervene in at the tackle

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Here is a summary from the stats I collected in 102 matches.

301 holding
298 hands
255 offside ruck
197 diving over
188 not rolling away
138 side entry
18 foot on player

"holding" is by the tackled player.
"not rolling away" is by the tackler.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

301 holding
298 hands
255 offside ruck
197 diving over
188 not rolling away
138 side entry
18 foot on player

Significantly more "hands in the ruck" than "tackler not releasing". I am surprised

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

301 holding
298 hands
255 offside ruck
197 diving over
188 not rolling away
138 side entry
18 foot on player

It would appear that second and third offences are being pinged at your level OB from those stats!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
It would appear that second and third offences are being pinged at your level OB from those stats!

Womble, that assumes there was in fact a first and mayby second offence, although I was a bit surprised that tackled holding on was the most frequent and nearly twice tackler not releasing/rolling away.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Inexperienced referees do indeed often miss the first offence, but why do you assume some of those offences are prima facie not the first offence?

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I have not assumed anything OB, the stats speak for themselves, Many years experience tells me that to have holding on pinged allmost twice as much as tackler not moving your referees are not clearing the tackler quick enough so that the ball can be placed or passed by the ball carrier. Also when I have the honor of refereeing propper rugby ( lvl8 and below)the hardest bit of management is to move the tackler followed by "why sir?"

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel

301 holding
298 hands
255 offside ruck
197 diving over
188 not rolling away
138 side entry
18 foot on player

Great stats OB, many thanks. Very interesting, I would have assumed far more tackler not rolling away penalties. And I am surprised that holding on is the highest! Food for thought. At what levels were these games overall?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Also when I have the honor of refereeing propper rugby ( lvl8 and below)the hardest bit of management is to move the tackler followed by "why sir?"
Is that because you are allowing the tackled player to stay where his is and form a block against the defence heeling the ball back? If you allow him to stay, how can you insist on the tackler getting out of there? As long as the tackler releases the ball carrier to allow him to exercise his options, why ping him for not moving, while allowing the tackled player to curl up?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Dixie - possible, but I feel you are casting out a big smelly bait here.

As a general rule - and thus evident in stats - I would expect that the tackler not rolling away would be the first offence in many more cases than is the tackled player failing to release the ball - and to see stats this way round does suggest that the refs are pinging 2nd offence.

But OB has observed them in reality, rather than filtered by stats - and while I note he asked the question, why is this assumption made, I also note he did not say it was innaccurate; perhaps he would care to comment further...?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a general rule - and thus evident in stats - I would expect that the tackler not rolling away would be the first offence in many more cases than is the tackled player failing to release the ball - and to see stats this way round does suggest that the refs are pinging 2nd offence.
But there are offences and offences. Tackle made; immediate release of tackled player, immediate push of the ball back, with hand on top - i.e. placement. So far, so commonplace (let's leave aside the question of legality). Immediately, defensive 7 gets hands on, at which point tackled player either pulls it in under his armpit or increases downward pressure. Now, would it really be appropriate, with both tackler and tackled player lying where they fell, to ping the tackler for not rollign away? He's had (and is having) absolutely zero impact on what's transpired since the tackle.

Davet

Post Likes
Yes - clearly there areany cases where pinging the tackler for holding on is the correct decision - no-one is suggesting it never happens. just that in the experience of many of us it is not as common as the tackler staying all over the ball until the muck has formed and then wriggling futiley to show he is trapped in and hoping the ref will ping the tackled player.

If the ref arrives a little late on the scene all he sees is the trapped player and the tackled player hanging onto the ball.... job done by tackler, another tick in the stats box for not releasing, and another gentle conversation with your assessor about getting to the breakdown in time to see what is really going on....

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
At the lower levels, what I see a lot is a runner get isolated, usually because the forwards are either not amrt enough to read the play, or are old and unfit.

Runs into two tacklers, and is isolated... there's the holding on penalty.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Those stats were from a quick and dirty ad hoc program and cover data back to 2007. Since knowing your data is important, I'll look into it in more detail. Eventually.

Davet

Post Likes
Maybe just let us know what your own instinct is havinh watched the games - is it pinging 2nd offence at times or is it an accuraet stat for first up offences?