Offences by sanction

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
hi all

ive just started reffing again after 18 months or so away. i had only been reffing for about 2 years so was still learning anyway.

but as i am about to relaunch my career one of the problems i had was once i had spotted an offence i couldnt always remember the correct sanction be it pen scrum or free kick and occasionally made the wrong decision.

i was wondering whether there was anywhere that broke offences down by the sanction they received or if there was a way to remember what the sanction is other than parrot fashion.

look forward to your advice
:wales:

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
scrum is knock on thrown forward-the easy one, FK-is at the scrum for minor offenses and also at the lineout. It is also for time-delay and dummying off the base of ruck/maul. PK is everything else.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
basically, if someone cocks up it's a scrum. if it's minor cheating / gamesmanship it's a FK, and if it's outright cheating it's a PK.

it's not idiot proof, but should cover most offences i think.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
As long as you promise not to laugh, I'll tell you what I did. :biggrin:

I prepared an Excel spreadsheet for most categories (eg scrum) listed the FK & PK offences in 2 blocks; 1 for FK and 1 for PK.

Using a simple formula, I could then scramble those at random with just 1 button. I printed off an A4 sheet with offences on 1 side and had to say whether it was a FK or PK offence. It was quite good to see the percentage score (you've got to keep score) climbing steadily. At first I used to take my time to get the answer right. As you get better, the answer is nearly always right, in which case you can do the same test but now against the clock. It worked for me. :biggrin:

Last edited:

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
dont suppose you could e mail that list could you :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like Taff's approach. There are enough exceptions to the rule to make the rule useless.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
dont suppose you could e mail that list could you :)
Yes as long as I can find it, because I haven't used it for about a year. PM me your e-mail address and I'll see what I can do.

I remember some sections just didn't work well; eg the sanction for the vast majority of Foul Play offences is a PK. It just seemed pointless creating a list. :biggrin:

When I was using it heavily, in an attempt to recreate real game pressure I used to print off a list and take it with me to the pool. I'd leave it on the side, do a couple of lengths flat out, jump out and fill in 10 boxes, jump back in, do another couple of lengths flat out etc etc etc. The pool attendants must have thought I was nuts, but nobody ever questioned what the hell I was doing. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hope it goes well on your return to the craft, Abitinga.

In general terms, Free Kicks are technical offences - so not straight in the scrum, foot up by the hooker - or minor cheating like time wasting.

I suggest you download a .pdf version of the Laws from http://www.irblaws.com/downloads/EN/IRB_Laws_2012_EN.pdf, then Advance Search [ctrl+shift+F] for the phrase Sanction: Free Kick. All the 58 results will be the instances in which a Free Kick is awarded for an offence. If you get those right, then you are unlikely to confuse a PK and a scrum, for example, so you've then got the lot.

Jenson

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Hope it goes well on your return to the craft, Abitinga.

In general terms, Free Kicks are technical offences - so not straight in the scrum, foot up by the hooker - or minor cheating like time wasting.

I suggest you download a .pdf version of the Laws from http://www.irblaws.com/downloads/EN/IRB_Laws_2012_EN.pdf, then Advance Search [ctrl+shift+F] for the phrase Sanction: Free Kick. All the 58 results will be the instances in which a Free Kick is awarded for an offence. If you get those right, then you are unlikely to confuse a PK and a scrum, for example, so you've then got the lot.

Dixie, that really is a top tip. Thanks

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Dixie - that is really useful. Thanks. Will use for trainee refs and ageing assessors.