Offside at the tackle

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
So a new one on me today.

Could someone point me to the LAW that states the offside line at a tackle for the defensive side is the ball?

Cheers

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
There is no offside line until a ruck forms. I think an ELV back in the day stated that there was an offside at the tackle and that line was the ball, but it was never adopted into a permanent law.

Just think why this wouldn't be practical. Red #12 makes a break from deep in his half past the entire Blue team, but is tackled just inside the Blue 22 by the Blue fullback. Red#9 arrives in support and before anyone else, picks up the ball and starts to run(no ruck had formed). Any retreating Blue player is offside and would have to run PAST the Red player just to tackle him.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Law 11.8 may apply in a situation where there is a tackle, but the defending player would have had to been offside at the last breakdown and not yet put onside.

So for example a ruck forms, Blue #7 is offside at that ruck. Red #9 takes the ball from the ruck, runs a 2 meters and is tackled, but no ruck is formed. Red #10 gets a pop pass from Red #9 and starts running. Blue #7 is retreating but is still offside until Red#10 runs 5m with the ball or kicks it.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Law 11.8 may apply in a situation where there is a tackle, but the defending player would have had to been offside at the last breakdown and not yet put onside.

So for example a ruck forms, Blue #7 is offside at that ruck. Red #9 takes the ball from the ruck, runs a 2 meters and is tackled, but no ruck is formed. Red #10 gets a pop pass from Red #9 and starts running. Blue #7 is retreating but is still offside until Red#10 runs 5m with the ball or kicks it.

no just a tackle, no competing defenders

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
thats what i thought, but 2 level 5 assessors seemed to think otherwise.
One of them was probably the guy I met down in the West Country, who felt that with two in the bin for repeated offending, it was harsh, unnecessary and plain wrong to card a third for (while lying on the deck) playing the ball from the field of play to the goal line, in order to prevent the attackers from picking up and scoring.

L.5 assessors - what do they know?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
thats what i thought, but 2 level 5 assessors seemed to think otherwise.

Look forward to reading your report on that one, please?

No offsides at a tackle, just entry through the gate.

Last edited:

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I reffed a U18 highschool girls game where the assessor was also the coach of one of the teams. I will be the first to admit that it was not my best reffed game. There were a few off the ball incidents that I didn't see. Reports of hair pulling etc. I spoke to both captains and told them that if I saw anything I would not hesitate to card them, but that didn't seem to help. This frustrated the coach/assessor, but what was I to do - If I could not see it, how could I penalize it?!

With his frustration he started questioning my every call, but the one that baffled me the most was in several lineouts. He was furious that the opposing team's jumper was pushing/leveraging off their own lifter's shoulders to get extra height in the lineout, claiming it was a violation. The jumper was not pushing off her opponents, but her own player. I spoke to him after the game and he was adamant that this was a violation, but I am yet to find where in law this is not allowed?!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I thought you wanted a law reference for a YC and then I thought it doesn't usually bother him?

Don't forget Group Assessors aren't necessarily from Yorkshire. We have to contend with blokes from N&D, Cumbria, Cheshire and God forbid Lancashire!:biggrin:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
He was saying I didn't push the backs back, or scan at the tackle, my reply was err well because its a tackle I couldn't care less where the backs are standing???

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
He was saying I didn't push the backs back, or scan at the tackle, my reply was err well because its a tackle I couldn't care less where the backs are standing???

Perhaps he was looking a few steps ahead and thought a ruck would eventually form and that it might be a good idea to know where the backs are.

Grasping at straws here.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps he was looking a few steps ahead and thought a ruck would eventually form and that it might be a good idea to know where the backs are.

Grasping at straws here.

Indeed we then pressed the issue and they both said, the offside line is the ball!!!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
c'mon....are you serious? I thought I had the best assessor stories...this one beats the shiiite out of mine...

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
c'mon....are you serious? I thought I had the best assessor stories...this one beats the shiiite out of mine...

Serious I was fuming as it was a big game for me!!! Probably didnt help they were sat next to a thick crowd shout offside every 2 minutes!!!

They were that serious, I was beginning to doubt myself.