Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
did he have hair?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Assessors can have a very big influence on a lot of referees. Isn't it worrying that they can get something this basic so wrong?

How many inexperienced refs in that area now think that there is an offside line at tackle? :frown:

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That's frankly appalling.

Glad to know it is;t only coaches that occassionally allegedly get thing so blatantly wrong.

Real Q: at these juncturrs don't you just ask them if they can show you in the law book where it says what they claim?

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
How many inexperienced refs in that area now think that there is an offside line at tackle? :frown:

Hopefully by the time they get to the verge of Group - none.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Speechless.

Raise it at the next society meeting - name and shame.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No offsides at a tackle, just entry through the gate.

That isn't true.

[LAWS]In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is
carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball.[/LAWS]

still applies at a tackle.

So the tackler's team mates aren't constrained by this but the ball carrier's team mates are. Maybe that is what the assessors are referring to.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
That would be a very oblique way of expressing it - you are right the tackle doesn't change the general offside law, but nor does it create it's own offside lines - and whichever, the BALL is irrelevant, anyway; it's the ball carrier who matters.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The jumper was not pushing off her opponents, but her own player. I spoke to him after the game and he was adamant that this was a violation, but I am yet to find where in law this is not allowed?!
He's a few seasons out of date. This was changed fairly recently (2010? OB will remember). Certainly back in 2006, 19.9 (f) had the following:

[LAWS]19.9(c) Levering on an opponent. A lineout player must not use an opponent as a support when jumping.
Penalty: Penalty Kick on the 15-metre line
19.9(f) Levering on a team mate. A jumping lineout player must not use a team mate as a support to jump.
Penalty: Free Kick on the 15-metre line[/LAWS]

The reason you can't find it is because it is no longer there.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There is no offside line until a ruck forms. I think an ELV back in the day stated that there was an offside at the tackle and that line was the ball, but it was never adopted into a permanent law.

Just think why this wouldn't be practical. Red #12 makes a break from deep in his half past the entire Blue team, but is tackled just inside the Blue 22 by the Blue fullback. Red#9 arrives in support and before anyone else, picks up the ball and starts to run(no ruck had formed). Any retreating Blue player is offside and would have to run PAST the Red player just to tackle him.
There was indeed an ELV trialled in South Africa. The argument was that through the gate looks just like a ruck offside, so why not make it offside?

However the situation you theorised actually occurred in the first couple of games where it was tried, and the ELV was immediately dropped without any further trialling.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
OB, we did trial it at county campionship for one season as well. must have been about 5 years ago. Bloody hard to referee but made some sense after about 3 games!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB, we did trial it at county campionship for one season as well. must have been about 5 years ago. Bloody hard to referee but made some sense after about 3 games!
Yes, I know, but I never saw any reports from the County Championship games. The general view in Gloucestershire seemed to be that there was too little evidence overall so it was not a valuable exercise.

Sarefs showed the evidence about offside at a tackle and as predicted it clearly generated a ridiculous situation.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm confused so at a tackle there is no gate and defenders can come in from anywhere but attackers can't??

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm confused so at a tackle there is no gate and defenders can come in from anywhere but attackers can't??
Everybody has to come in through their respective gate.

And team mates of the ball carrier are offside if they're in front of the ball carrier.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
An offside line goes right across the field. At a tackle, the gate applies to the area round the tackle only.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm not quite sure how you get to that inference from the conversation so far. But you know it to be incorrect, or you wouldn't be reffing at L.7.

The business with the gate is rather confused from the technical perspective. There is legitimate debate aboout exactly how wide it is, and specifically whether it is the same width for both Blue and Red teams following any specific tackle. There is also the technical point (which everyone ignores for very good practical reasons) that anyone arriving at the tackle zone with the intent of clearing out rather than going for the ball can legally enter that zone from absolutely any direction. To anyone below L.7 reading this, if you enjoy getting to grips with the laws you might appreciate the challenge of figuring out exactly why this is the case; but once you've done it, take care to consign that knowledge to the "stuff never to take onto the pitch" bucket, along with hangovers and a nagging preference for one team over the other.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
There is also the technical point (which everyone ignores for very good practical reasons) that anyone arriving at the tackle zone with the intent of clearing out rather than going for the ball can legally enter that zone from absolutely any direction.

Can you elaborate about what you mean here?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Can you elaborate about what you mean here?
It waa a challenge to you to look at the precise wording of Law 15.6.

So that you can (sensibly) ignore the implications.

If you can't be bothered, you have missed nothing.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
It waa a challenge to you to look at the precise wording of Law 15.6.

So that you can (sensibly) ignore the implications.

If you can't be bothered, you have missed nothing.

I've read the law, just curious what you were implying. Thanks for the crabby response though!