[Law] Offside support players

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd suggest once you're played onside, it's irrelevant what you did before (expect with a Kick chase), otherwise we'd need all players to retire to the "Onside line" before being allowed to rejoin play.

Also with the exception of being offside at a ruck, where you need to make an effort to retire , else you are a lazy runner

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
[LAWS]1. A player is offside in open play if that player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the
ball or who last played it. An offside player must not interfere with play. This includes :
a. Playing the ball.
b. Tackling the ball-carrier.
c. Preventing the opposition from playing as they wish.
[/LAWS]

The violation is not being in an offside position, It is this.

So why is 10.4.b an offence? If that's the be all and end all, what's wrong with offside players advancing?

Note the "includes"...

Interesting, anyway. I'll talk to my coach about it :)

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
So why is 10.4.b an offence? If that's the be all and end all, what's wrong with offside players advancing?

Note the "includes"...

Interesting, anyway. I'll talk to my coach about it :)

Indeed, and the definition is more expansive:
[Laws]Offside: A positional offence meaning a player can take no part in the game without being liable to sanction[/laws]
Although the example looks unusual the player was in an offside position, taking part in the game, moving forwards and getting closer to the ball. I have some sympathy with your view!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When I started playing, if you were in front of the kicker, you could still chase the kick provided you stopped 10 yards short of the player waiting to catch the ball.

When I checked, I was surprised to find that this was not changed to the current law until 1992. I prefer the current law.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Indeed, and the definition is more expansive:
[Laws]Offside: A positional offence meaning a player can take no part in the game without being liable to sanction[/Laws]
Although the example looks unusual the player was in an offside position, taking part in the game, moving forwards and getting closer to the ball. I have some sympathy with your view!

i view it as he wasn't taking part in the match until he calls for and gets the ball. Taking par in the game to means, play the ball from an offside position (he was played onside prior to receiving the ball) or tackling a BC or preventing a defender from tackling. Neither was the case in that clip.

MyLarney

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Law 10.4 c clearly changes the dynamic by virtue of the “kick” which introduces a clear offside line for everyone in front of the kicker so it is slightly different than just drifting from set play or open play. This is a training ground move to blunt a rush defence as if you look at twitter fotos Smith is going full tilt in front of Reece shaping to position himself to take the inside pass.

https://twitter.com/MyLarney/status/1176146758696603648?s=17

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Could the issue be our underlying mantra of "Clear and Obvious"?

For green 5, when his run starts he's onside from the ruck and when the kick is taken, it's not c&o to the ref that the offside player is material so we play on and we're now focused on the active players, looking for clean tackles, obstructions, desperately trying to remember that infernal newfangled framework, etc.

Phases occur or metres are covered in this case by which time green 5 is now in a useful position - but to us it's just another green player who looks onside to us - so we play on.

Green 5 now becomes material but we either don't remember they were offside at the kick and haven't put themselves back onside while our back was turned or we feel it's so long after the original event we just don't think of 10.b?

Contrast that to the cases where we have a kick and a player is further down the pitch and our "c&o" bell starts to go off and we start getting all twitchy about the 10m law. Now, when that player drifts into play we're already primed and decide to whistle, signal a PK, point to offside and then state "<color><#>, you were never onside."

(As for the shove - I guess it would depend on where I was positioned. If I was chasing from behind and saw the shove I'd be happy to call that foul play. But if I was chasing this from the side, maybe at a 45 angle to the runners left, then it may be I just can't see the shove or I think it was a legitimate shoulder to shoulder - not c&o so off we go...)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
When I started playing, if you were in front of the kicker, you could still chase the kick provided you stopped 10 yards short of the player waiting to catch the ball.

When I checked, I was surprised to find that this was not changed to the current law until 1992. I prefer the current law.

Still is in RL land.

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Good try and good Forwards play by 5.

He is just taking 'the cheating line'. Not law breaking but 'cheating' in the sense that he is taking the shortest possible route to where he predicts a breakdown will be. (as a big lock you've got to preserve energy, why run further than you have to?)

I don't believe he is offside. If he were to block a covering defender, offside. If the ball carrier had off kicked ahead, offside.

In open play he is fine being where he is in my opinion.