Olympic Games - How are you doing?

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Anyhow, could someone point me to some info about the Lottery funding for sports in the UK/GB/whatever?

I've read a bit about it referring cycling, but I'm not sure about how it works with other sports. Does it fund only amateur sportspeople? Just amateur sports? Is there anywhere where I could find info on the different budgets and funding?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I must say that I am totally unimpressed with the petty little jobsworths that run the Athletics in the main stadium. A Chinese athlete in a men's 110m hurdles heat crashes at the first hurdle due probably due to torn Achilles tendon, and some officious prick in the entry way wont let him pass through the way he came in, so he has to hop on one leg down the length of the straight, in full view of the 80,000 crowd. Finally, some his competitors who have just finished the heat see him and come over to support him and help him out of the stadium.

What a dreadful embarrassment for the organisers!!!

Its almost as much of an embarrassment as the uniforms of the official games and helpers, especially the women. London is one of the "Style Capitals" of the world, so instead of getting a professional home-grown fashion designer like Stella McCartney (who designed the GB uniforms) do the job, they let a bunch of amateurs on the Olympic Committee do a slap up job instead. Appalling!!

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Actually, Ian, they offered him a wheelchair and he refused. He's Liu Xan and he's too proud.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Its almost as much of an embarrassment as the uniforms of the official games and helpers, especially the women. London is one of the "Style Capitals" of the world, so instead of getting a professional home-grown fashion designer like Stella McCartney (who designed the GB uniforms) do the job, they let a bunch of amateurs on the Olympic Committee do a slap up job instead. Appalling!!
I think Stella McCartney designed the GB "uniform" for the opening ceremony, and I haven't met anybody yet who has had a good word to say for it. I'm sure there are plenty around who believe she only got the job because of her surname; ie if she was called Stella Smith, she wouldn't have had a hope of designing anything for the GB team.

I may have got this wrong (the radio was playing in the background) but I'm sure I heard someone say that GB competitors just from Yorkshire, have won more Gold medals than the whole of the Australian team. An amazing statistic if it's true.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I must say that I am totally unimpressed with the petty little jobsworths that run the Athletics in the main stadium. A Chinese athlete in a men's 110m hurdles heat crashes at the first hurdle due probably due to torn Achilles tendon, and some officious prick in the entry way wont let him pass through the way he came in, so he has to hop on one leg down the length of the straight, in full view of the 80,000 crowd. Finally, some his competitors who have just finished the heat see him and come over to support him and help him out of the stadium.

What a dreadful embarrassment for the organisers!!!

Its almost as much of an embarrassment as the uniforms of the official games and helpers, especially the women. London is one of the "Style Capitals" of the world, so instead of getting a professional home-grown fashion designer like Stella McCartney (who designed the GB uniforms) do the job, they let a bunch of amateurs on the Olympic Committee do a slap up job instead. Appalling!!

I happen to have a little inside knowledge on this one. He wasn't let back through the door as it leads to he 'cool room' where the athletes are held before a race. This is a 'clean' area that no one else is allowed in. If this area is breached then the veracity of the race can be challenged.

The uniforms look appalling - but are bloody effective no doubting who you are!

I dislike the colours but what others could they use?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I happen to have a little inside knowledge on this one. He wasn't let back through the door as it leads to he 'cool room' where the athletes are held before a race. This is a 'clean' area that no one else is allowed in. If this area is breached then the veracity of the race can be challenged.

If so, then that is poor design & management on the first place. There ought to be an exit at that end, bypassing the cool room perhaps if it were deemed necessary (for injured & disqualified athletes etc). What if an Athlete collapsed of a heart attack (not likely, but it does happen; Chinonso Henry, Fabrice Muamba). Would they force the doctor to go a couple of hundred metres around the outside of the stands?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Particularly as you hail from a country which, despite topping the medal table in the vast majority of modern Games, would struggle to name more than 10 medal winners from the Native American community - the only people who, under your logic, are entitled to call themselves American.

you guys are reading way too much into what barker wrote. it's an expression we use over here. "the white guy" "that korean guy" "that one black girl" etc. he wasn't saying she was FROM somewhere other than england - he was talking about her ethnicity. now the accent thing I'm not sure what he meant. maybe he was expecting a bit more posh. I don't know. but what I do know is that you brits are all overreacting to something that you totally missed. now go back to figuring out a way to call more penalties...something you are all good at.

and yes - that one was a wind up.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If so, then that is poor design & management on the first place. There ought to be an exit at that end, bypassing the cool room perhaps if it were deemed necessary (for injured & disqualified athletes etc). What if an Athlete collapsed of a heart attack (not likely, but it does happen; Chinonso Henry, Fabrice Muamba). Would they force the doctor to go a couple of hundred metres around the outside of the stands?

So do we accept that as an apology to the
officious prick in the entry way
?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

well frankly, if that's the one of the worst aspects of the organisation then I don't think we really need to worry eh. Its just a jacket. Meah.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I may have got this wrong (the radio was playing in the background) but I'm sure I heard someone say that GB competitors just from Yorkshire, have won more Gold medals than the whole of the Australian team. An amazing statistic if it's true.

along with... The Brownlee family are now 36th on medal table, joint with Lithuania, ahead of Spain, Norway and Argentina!!!

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In this day and age I wonder why the long jump needs a line to mark where the jumper took off from. Why not jump from anywhere then just measure distance jumped electronically?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
nice how you can coalesce into a United Kingdom and disperse into component Principalities as & when it suits you:

"Cricket's a bit patchy - better drag Wales in"

"Going all right at rugger - piss the Welsh, Scots & Irish off"

"Farck, gotta do well at Olympics. All hands on deck - yeah, you too, Gibraltar"

*shrug* I don't make the rules, so i just have to like them, lump them, or ignore everything.

I realised a long time ago that unfortunately you can't just get off the bus in life. much as at times I REALLY SERIOUSLY wanted to.
So I'll go along with whatever rules are in place, even the times it seems a tad daft.

If I ever became Prme Minister maybe I'd change things. But I'm not interested in aligning myself with the bunch that I've seen in the last 50 years. So if it lools like a duck and sounds like a duck... I'll make the orange sauce.

The other Brits on here may feel differently ogf course. I can't/won't speak for them.

Incidentally a Dutch friend commented the other day about a GB Gold medal being "my" (ie her!) gold medal. I was delighted she felt that way - she's lived in the UK for a long time... her English is better than many English people (but then again most irishmen I have met have better english as well :-0... and she explained that it was her taxes and her cash spent on lottery tickets that had gone into the funding for the athlete so it was just as much her medal as an Briton's. and you know what... I think she's right.

Meanwhile as an example Mo Farrah was born in Somalia, grew up since aged 8 in Britain and now lives and trains in the USA. So who should he represent?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In this day and age I wonder why the long jump needs a line to mark where the jumper took off from. Why not jump from anywhere then just measure distance jumped electronically?

because it is not just the distance jumped - its the skill required to jump to the requirements.

why not score a try over ANY of the outside lines?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don't want to sound negative, but I have been home from work for over an hour and we haven't won a medal. What the hell are they doing with all that lottery funding? Sheez.

they're polishing their medals BB ;-)

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Particularly as you hail from a country which, despite topping the medal table in the vast majority of modern Games, would struggle to name more than 10 medal winners from the Native American community - the only people who, under your logic, are entitled to call themselves American.

Christ. Without Google I can't get past Jim Thorpe.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
because it is not just the distance jumped - its the skill required to jump to the requirements.

why not score a try over ANY of the outside lines?

didds

The requirements are only there because of the measuring constraints from a bygone era. Surely we can move on from a a piece of string measuring an indent in the sand?

I'm trying, without success, to make sense of the try scoring analogy.

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The requirements are only there because of the measuring constraints from a bygone era.

Part of the trouble would be that the measuring equipment required to do what you describe is (I bet) expensive. Yes, the Olympics could have it, but could every athletics club in the world have it?

I think the change would not be worth the expense/inconsistency.