Options from a knock on

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
that other thread caused me to scrutinise this Law, and something is odd about it

Definitions

Knock-on:
When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

Law

11 Knock-on or throw forward

Knock-on

11.1 A knock-on may occur anywhere in the playing area.

11.2 It is a knock-on when a player, in tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent, makes contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. Sanction: Scrum (if the ball goes into touch, the non-offending team may opt instead for a quick-throw or lineout).

11.3 A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm. Sanction: Penalty.

11.4 It is not an intentional knock-on if, in the act of trying to catch the ball, the player knocks on provided that there was a reasonable expectation that the player could gain possession.

11.5 The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:
a. A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).
b. A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.

Throw forward

11.6 A throw forward may occur anywhere in the playing area. Sanction: Scrum.
11.7 A player must not intentionally throw or pass the ball forward. Sanction: Penalty.

Thoughts
A - I guess the option in 11.2 is not specific to the scenario in 11.2 (knock on in a tackle) and applies to any knock on, but it's not really very well written

B - Interestingly, I notice no option to take a lineout/quickthrow after a throw-forward into touch. I feel pretty sure that when it has happened, I have offered option. Oops

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i read 11.2 to explain that causing the ball to go forward when tackling does not absolve one form "penalty" - it removes any choice over whether the ball carrier is the reason the ball went forward (for the tackler) or backward (for the BC)

??

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
B - Interestingly, I notice no option to take a lineout/quickthrow after a throw-forward into touch. I feel pretty sure that when it has happened, I have offered option. Oops
I would have done same as you. Rugby laws ... the gift that keeps on giving

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i read 11.2 to explain that causing the ball to go forward when tackling does not absolve one form "penalty" - it removes any choice over whether the ball carrier is the reason the ball went forward (for the tackler) or backward (for the BC)

??
yes- but does the lineout option in 11.2 only apply in the special tackle situation? Or does it apply to any KO that goes into touch?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
that other thread caused me to scrutinise this Law, and something is odd about it

Definitions

Knock-on:
When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

Law

Knock-on

11.2 It is a knock-on when a player, in tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent, makes contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. Sanction: Scrum (if the ball goes into touch, the non-offending team may opt instead for a quick-throw or lineout).

11.3 A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm. Sanction: Penalty.

11.4 It is not an intentional knock-on if, in the act of trying to catch the ball, the player knocks on provided that there was a reasonable expectation that the player could gain possession.

11.5 The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:
a. A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).
b. A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.

Throw forward

11.6 A throw forward may occur anywhere in the playing area. Sanction: Scrum.
11.7 A player must not intentionally throw or pass the ball forward. Sanction: Penalty.

Thoughts
A - I guess the option in 11.2 is not specific to the scenario in 11.2 (knock on in a tackle) and applies to any knock on, but it's not really very well written

I have been dealing with this exact situation towards the end of last season and was thinking of posting it here.
During last season I observed four instances where there were forward passes into touch. Three were L4 and one at L6. What the ref did varied. One offered an option. One gave a lineout and two gave a scrum.
The Laws since the 2018 ‘simplification’ doesn’t provide for an option. They did in 2017, (Law 12) There is a suggestion of an option in the grid for when to award a scrum.
The reason for the ‘confusion’ I would suggest is that we are now getting referees coming through the levels that were not refereeing prior to 2018. That was the case in my observations.
As a result of my observations I raised the matter with RFU Laws. There was agreement that there is now some confusion and the question of tweaking the laws to avoid this and to get back to the 2017 situation was put to WR. They responded by saying that it would be an item on the law revue This year. I was told that this usually takes place in August.
I am waiting to see if this is going to actually happen.
The expectation is that there should be an option as per 2017. Every referee I have seen who has been refereeing since before 2018 gives an option. Until I made these observations I also thought I was incorrect After checking the ‘simplified’ laws.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if they tweak the Law I hope it clarifies A as well as restoring the option on B

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Definitions

Knock-on:

Law

Knock-on

Thoughts

The sanction in 11.2 should be written against 11.1. As simple as that.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, as it stands right now, what is the correct thing to do for a throw forward into touch ?

Scrum, no option I would say

Balones

Post Likes
So, as it stands right now, what is the correct thing to do for a throw forward into touch ?

Scrum, no option I would say
The only way anyone could argue against that is to quote the 2017 law book and say that supposedly there were no changes to the law in the ‘simplification’ the following year. :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
which might have worked in 2018, but it's too long ago now !

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Both of these will be corrected! Forward pass into touch should be a choice (was missed in 18 simplification and not put back in)

Sanction for 11.2 will also show in 11.1 - prob sooner on website than the FW pass issue) when I've completed some tech work.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Both of these will be corrected! Forward pass into touch should be a choice (was missed in 18 simplification and not put back in)

Sanction for 11.2 will also show in 11.1 - prob sooner on website than the FW pass issue) when I've completed some tech work.
Common sense.

Balones

Post Likes
Interesting observation.
France v Scotland - 57mins - Scotland forward pass into touch. Nic Berry awarded scrum with no option offered.
I think he was reffing before the simplification.:)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting observation.
France v Scotland - 57mins - Scotland forward pass into touch. Nic Berry awarded scrum with no option offered.
I think he was reffing before the simplification.:)
But meanwhile in the England Wales game I am pretty sure that I heard options being given !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
South African throw forward into touch ... Angus Gardner offers options

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I saw that and immediatly thought of this thread. Not sure if it was a mistake on AG's part or a correct decision. Law book seems to imply otherwise