Options from a knock on

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I saw that and immediatly thought of this thread. Not sure if it was a mistake on AG's part or a correct decision. Law book seems to imply otherwise
It was correct. It was overtly written into the laws prior to 2018. It was left out by error in the simplification. If you read all my posts on this matter you will find that I was chasing this up with WR and recently the WR laws officer announced on this forum that it was going to be addressed.
Perhaps a more knowledgeable member or two can give you links to the appropriate posts. They are not all in this thread.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Thanks for the reminder balones ;-)

How many people outside of this forum know that I wonder?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
@Balones - this the post you were after for @DocP
I have been dealing with this exact situation towards the end of last season and was thinking of posting it here.
During last season I observed four instances where there were forward passes into touch. Three were L4 and one at L6. What the ref did varied. One offered an option. One gave a lineout and two gave a scrum.
The Laws since the 2018 ‘simplification’ doesn’t provide for an option. They did in 2017, (Law 12) There is a suggestion of an option in the grid for when to award a scrum.
The reason for the ‘confusion’ I would suggest is that we are now getting referees coming through the levels that were not refereeing prior to 2018. That was the case in my observations.
As a result of my observations I raised the matter with RFU Laws. There was agreement that there is now some confusion and the question of tweaking the laws to avoid this and to get back to the 2017 situation was put to WR. They responded by saying that it would be an item on the law revue This year. I was told that this usually takes place in August.
I am waiting to see if this is going to actually happen.
The expectation is that there should be an option as per 2017. Every referee I have seen who has been refereeing since before 2018 gives an option. Until I made these observations I also thought I was incorrect After checking the ‘simplified’ laws.

Pinky2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks for the reminder balones ;-)

How many people outside of this forum know that I wonder?
Angus Gardiner, for one, presumably?

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
@Balones - this the post you were after for @DocP
I had read that but admittedly forgot. As soon as it happened I thought of this thread. It is just a shame that it takes so long to get the law updated. As the law book is pretty much digital now, if they have made an error like this one is there not a way they can just make a quick amendment to clear up the confusion for one and all.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Both of these will be corrected! Forward pass into touch should be a choice (was missed in 18 simplification and not put back in)

Sanction for 11.2 will also show in 11.1 - prob sooner on website than the FW pass issue) when I've completed some tech work.

The above was posted on this site on 26th July 23 by the WR law contact.