[In-goal] Own try

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I imagine this has been discussed previously.

However, my question is this, if the Defender's captain was savvy enough, would you entertain his questioning the decision? Or not?

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Sydney's Hooker James Wigan is credited with the try. Definitely no sign of a No.2 with hands near the ball, though that may be his foot sticking out of the ruck. At 13 - 8 at this point of the match, surely Gold captain might politely have asked "Sir, can you please confirm the number of the player who grounded the ball?" Green1 rather than Gold2, would be fairly evident on a reverse angle.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess this can happen when teams have stupid multiple clashing jersey colours. This is not the only possible clash in the NRC that has two teams playing in similar colours (a fact which IIRC has been discussed on this forum previously.

This article seems somewhat prophetic...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-on-clashing-kit-colours-20140813-103onb.html

"The Greater Sydney Rams are more orange cordial than yellow or gold, but throw in the NRC's bold yellow and orange official match ball and it might be very hard to see who is touching down....."

If you think these jerseys look quite similar....

1407945976700.jpg

...try watching a match under floodlights, where something called "anomalous reflectance" can cause what differences there are (usually the red component in secondary colours such as orange and violet) to disappear. I have watched some of the matches; it is really difficult sometimes to tell players apart, especially around the breakdown and in mauls.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Interesting article. Yes the TMO clearly sees a Yellow sleeve ground the ball. But would it be acceptable for the "Green" captain to ask for confirmation of number? The error might still have been rectified before the conversion was missed. In fairness to his team they might have felt a Harlequin jersey distinctive enough.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just to illustrate further what I said in my previous post....

Most modern stadiums use Metal Halide floodlighting. Metal Halide lamps have characteristic spectral peaks in the range 560 to 600 nanometres (in old money, thats 5600 to 6000 Angstroms) but this can vary depending on the power input and wattage rating of the lamps. Yellow is in the range 560 to 590 and orange in the range 590 - 635.

There is a peak at 589 nm and another smaller peak at 545 nm. As input power to a Metal Hydride lamp is decreased, the peak at 589 reduces about the level of the 545-nm peak, and as it is further lowered, the 589-nm peak shifts (changes colour) to around 570 nm.

In layman's terms, lower powered Metal Halide lamps become more "yellow". See the following photos to get an idea how much this spectral shift can change the appearance of colour. On the left is the original photo taken in daylight, on the right, I have used Photoshop to apply a Metal Halide subtraction/correction filter to simulate that type of floodlighting, and used a luminosity reduction filter to simulate the lower overall light level provided by floodlighting.

jerseys-daylight.png
jerseys-mhsfilter.png

See how the two jerseys on the left have become the same colour, and the blue colour has almost gone completely from the left player's shorts and the jersey on the right

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
genius.

good job the game is run by people with their finger on the pulse.

didds

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
That's a terrible decision made worse by the fact that the ref doesn't seem to agree but goes along with it.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
What makes it worse, to my mind, is it is left on the scoresheet, with the opposition Hooker being credited with the score. Anybody can make a mistake. Surely after the game, the match ref and TMO can hold their hand up, apologize to Green and recitify the scoresheet. Or is that unheard of?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
What makes it worse, to my mind, is it is left on the scoresheet, with the opposition Hooker being credited with the score. Anybody can make a mistake. Surely after the game, the match ref and TMO can hold their hand up, apologize to Green and recitify the scoresheet. Or is that unheard of?
I've never heard of changing the score sheet before and I think it would be a terrible precedent. While decisions as ridiculous as this are few and far between (or even unique), wrongly awarded tries are not so where would you draw the line when it comes to changing the score sheet?

Unless you were meaning changing the name of the scorer? In which case, it's not really the referee's business.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

the referee's job is to award to the try, I don't think it's the ref's job to record which player scored it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've never heard of changing the score sheet before and I think it would be a terrible precedent. While decisions as ridiculous as this are few and far between (or even unique), wrongly awarded tries are not so where would you draw the line when it comes to changing the score sheet?

Unless you were meaning changing the name of the scorer? In which case, it's not really the referee's business.
Before the 1969 re-write, a team could appeal to their Union on a point of law. If the Union accepted their argument, the result of the game could be changed. It was therefore advised that if there was argument on a point of law about the award of a try, the referee should always allow the conversion.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Proverb (my own); On a field full of players prepared to cheat at any time you should allow the ref an occasional honest mistake.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Proverb (my own); On a field full of players prepared to cheat at any time you should allow the ref an occasional honest mistake.
.............But not the TMO!