Password issues

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's still going, and trialling some experimental laws yes.

Robert - it's still Wert Twacky from Zumerzet, but i had a few password issues... zider, and laptops don't mix!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Re: ELV's for next season

.... Robert - it's still Wert Twacky from Zumerzet, but i had a few password issues... zider, and laptops don't mix!
Sorry for the slight hijack, but if like me you struggle with all the passwords you have to remember I've found a brilliant way to never forget them again, by entering them on your mobile.

Eg my Hotmail password is entered under H. Otmail with a random number that looks like a mobile number but the password hidden in the main body of the entry. My mobile is backed up at least once a month so if I were to lose it, I've still got the passwords. Conversely if it was stolen (highly unlikely given its age) as I have the phone backed up on computer, I could change the passwords at very short notice. If you do it this way, you can have as much cider as you like.

Hijack over - as you were gents. :biggrin:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes

...Hijack over - as you were gents. :biggrin:
Hi Wert Twacky,
Tips for passwords is worth a browse.
myself said:
  • Print off an A4 sheet full of random strings of letters, numbers & symbols,
    (so you can change your "passwords" over time.)
  • A quick run of a highlighter creates a new password - scribble the account name next to it.
Another piece of good advice is to use a seperate password for your Facebook account, since it's the most likely to be hacked.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

use an algortithm that generates a password using the name of the site (first letter, last letter, number of letters, number of vowels whatever)

then you get a different, unique, password for every site, and all you have to remember is the algorithm

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

Do I care if someone hijacks my facebook account? It's not exciting.

I suppose if they did it might get interesting.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Do I care if someone hijacks my facebook account? It's not exciting.

it can be quite problematic - for instance if your facebook account started publishing disparaging remarks about your employer or the RFU, or making attacks on clubs your have recently refereed.

if your name is something ordinary like Dave Thompson then you will find it hard to get your account back. facebook will have hundreds of them, and there's no particular way to prove that you deserve to be given control of Dave Thompson #345 , especially if you don't know the password now....

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes

Not only that...
But a lot of folks use the same password for all accounts (on-line banking, for example)
Hackers could use that against you.

This Microsoft page tests the strength of your passwords.

ps (I cannot remember the website which generates pages of random characters, off hand.)

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Not only that...
But a lot of folks use the same password for all accounts (on-line banking, for example)
Hackers could use that against you.

This Microsoft page tests the strength of your passwords.
I tested the password I use for online banking, company login, credit card access and Paypal. It said it was extremely strong. Within five minutes I received calls from the fraud team at my bank and credit card companies to ask whether I had intended to clear out the bank account and extend my overdraft facility by £15,000, and whether I was excited by my recent credit card purchase of a Ferrari 458.

The only consolation is that the company (a US multinational) is in consultation with the CIA with a view to getting l'Irlandais extradited to the US on charges of falsely accessing a secure US-based corporate network - though I have been suspended for submitting false expenses claims totalling enough money to visit the Stade de France for the rearranged international. :(

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

Maybe the wise man would have subitted a password LIKE the real one to test it's strength.

Or maybe he would even have had a scobbie that using his birthday and the name of his firstborn wasn't that good an idea without asking a stranger.

Mix of random letters and numbers and special characters, with random upper case letters, at least 8 chars long seems to be good. But don't just use something like d1x!E20ll - given a few permutations it ain't hard to crack.

So I'm told.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I just hit the "forgotten your password?" button and some nice person emails it to me. Stuffed if I know how they remember it.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes

Sorry for the slight hijack, but if like me you struggle with all the passwords you have to remember I've found a brilliant way to never forget them again, by entering them on your mobile.

Eg my Hotmail password is entered under H. Otmail with a random number that looks like a mobile number but the password hidden in the main body of the entry. My mobile is backed up at least once a month so if I were to lose it, I've still got the passwords. Conversely if it was stolen (highly unlikely given its age) as I have the phone backed up on computer, I could change the passwords at very short notice. If you do it this way, you can have as much cider as you like.

Hijack over - as you were gents. :biggrin:

Passwords "hidden" like that take seconds to decode. Well before you know the 'phone is missing.