[Law] Penalty & kicking tea

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I lost the will to live after reading a few posts in this thread, so skipped to the end. Apologies if this has been mentioned before...

The protocol in the RFU at semi-pro and pro levels is that if someone enters the playing area with a kicking tee after a penalty has been awarded, then that signals the intention of the team to kick at goal.

Teams know it, players know it and, in the main, it works and prevents issues where the match officials have then become the centre of a shit-storm that could have been avoided.

I think the consensus of the thread is that you'd be very jobsworth to apply that protocol at grass-roots level.

at grass roots level it seems sensible that
- if someone comes on with a tee, then his team loses the opportunity to go for a quick tap
- but the actions of a rogue tee-carrier can't, in fairness, commit a team to a kick at goal
- time off, send the tee carrier away, get everyone 10m back, time on

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I lost the will to live after reading a few posts in this thread, so skipped to the end. Apologies if this has been mentioned before...

The protocol in the RFU at semi-pro and pro levels is that if someone enters the playing area with a kicking tee after a penalty has been awarded, then that signals the intention of the team to kick at goal.

Teams know it, players know it and, in the main, it works and prevents issues where the match officials have then become the centre of a shit-storm that could have been avoided.

So who makes the decision to go for posts? Not the captain? As a coach I expect the captain to make all the decisions with the exception of substitutions.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So who makes the decision to go for posts? Not the captain? As a coach I expect the captain to make all the decisions with the exception of substitutions.

Captain or kicker for me. As long as I have seen they have discussed it then either can tell me.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the consensus of the thread is that you'd be very jobsworth to apply that protocol at grass-roots level.

at grass roots level it seems sensible that
- if someone comes on with a tee, then his team loses the opportunity to go for a quick tap
- but the actions of a rogue tee-carrier can't, in fairness, commit a team to a kick at goal
- time off, send the tee carrier away, get everyone 10m back, time on

Indeed. In fact, I have seen in a lot of games both locally and on TV where the water carriers have the kicking tee on them all the time, usually tucked into a pocket. This is so that they don't have to go fetch it every time its needed.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes

Fair play to you and your coaching philosophy in allowing players to make decisions and not coaches every minute of every match.... breath of friggin' fresh air!!!!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

That all works well....until the Captain is the full back.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Fair play to you and your coaching philosophy in allowing players to make decisions and not coaches every minute of every match.... breath of friggin' fresh air!!!!

I coach in the US. One of the great selling points of rugby over gridiron (a term never used in the US, it's just 'football') is that rugby is a player's game, football is a coach's game.

I coach at practice, give input at the half, review at the end. During the game I take notes and discuss what's happening on the pitch with the subs. Pre-game assembly, warm-ups etc are strictly player driven. I just kiss-up to the refs. (Just joking Simon S.)

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi. I stopped reading about post 20, hope therefore I am not repeating anyone.

Was the coach's appearance material? If so , whistle and say to the players, can you confirm what's going on...but the trick is to peep before they score the try to make it an easier sell. If you can't manage that, sell it as "I was looking at your extra person on the pitch when you tapped". You are aiming for equity, trying to allow for the materiality of their actions without recourse to a law which covers this closely enough.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I coach in the US. One of the great selling points of rugby over gridiron (a term never used in the US, it's just 'football') is that rugby is a player's game, football is a coach's game.

I've heard it said that American Football isn't a game of football at all, its a game of chess between the two coaches, and the players on the field are pieces on the board.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Re: Penalty & kicking tea

That's about it. Actually, teams of coaches. Even for 6/7 years old. The parents sign their kids up so they can coach and promote Jr while they're at it. Big ego trip. Most of the kids never touch the ball, get shuffled in to make some meaningless play and get shuffled right back out. Their league rules require so many plays minimum but the 'stars' get all the meaningful action.

9/10ths of the kids, 11 - 18, prefer rugby as a game.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

I coach at practice, give input at the half, review at the end. During the game I take notes and discuss what's happening on the pitch with the subs. Pre-game assembly, warm-ups etc are strictly player driven. I just kiss-up to the refs. (Just joking Simon S.)
Semi joking?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I like to talk rugby with refs but I also get a sense of approach.

Also to review any unusual aspects of our game.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think most of the better refs in our area welcome your approach. I'll be looking forward to seeing you at some point in the season