[Law] Penalty Try awarded right at the end of play.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Purple v Black. Black with 15 seconds to go are 32-22 up. Purple 10 makes a break and goes over the line, only for Black 7 to smash into him dangerously high and knock the ball on,

What would you do?

I awarded the penalty try to make it 32-29 to Black and then called full time as my watch had ticked over to the 80th minute. However on reflection in the car back - should it not have carried on in that it didn't leave the field? Or am I overcomplicating/confusing the ELVs interpretations

(Feel like I could be over thinking it having written it down)

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Did you award the PT before 80 min was up or after? If before, then a kickoff should happen. If after, then no kickoff.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think that's right , isn't it taken from the moment the kicker strikes the ball for the conversion. If that is before time then restart

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
For me it is a TRY and not a Penalty, So, we apply basic What happens in the event of a try being scored at the end of a game. Now we normally would base our call on whether or not the conversion is "kicked" before 80 is up or not "boot to ball". Of course, ther i no conversion of a PT so I would base my call on the time when the award the try.

In short: I agree with thepercy.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I don't think that's right , isn't it taken from the moment the kicker strikes the ball for the conversion. If that is before time then restart

Hi cross ,,new laws penalty try requires no kick .

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Same as if the try scoring captain, as soon as try is awarded, says, "No Conversion Sir, is there time for the kickoff?"

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Purple v Black. Black with 15 seconds to go are 32-22 up. Purple 10 makes a break and goes over the line, only for Black 7 to smash into him dangerously high and knock the ball on,

What would you do?

I awarded the penalty try to make it 32-29 to Black and then called full time as my watch had ticked over to the 80th minute. However on reflection in the car back - should it not have carried on in that it didn't leave the field? Or am I overcomplicating/confusing the ELVs interpretations

(Feel like I could be over thinking it having written it down)

7 smashes 10 late, Oh the good ol days [eyes misting up!] :clap:

:sarc:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You are the judge of fact and the keeper of the watch.
If the timing is so close it depends on whether you blink or not before checking, then nobody will ever argue with you decision.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
should it not have carried on in that it didn't leave the field? Or am I overcomplicating/confusing the ELVs interpretations

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this comment. What do you mean by "didn't leave the field"? Can you clarify please?

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Did you award the PT before 80 min was up or after? If before, then a kickoff should happen. If after, then no kickoff.

Just after - so I did the right thing at least. The new penalty law surrounding restarts threw me on the journey home

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this comment. What do you mean by "didn't leave the field"? Can you clarify please?

I believe I was trying to say 'out of play' but it didn't really make much sense to me either.

I think I managed to muddle up the penalty laws surrounding kicking for touch and scoring a penalty try.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's actually a good question , and I am not sure that we gave the right answer above

PT is awarded on 81 mins

A PK offence has occured , so do we restart , as we would with a other PK ?

Or is it just a special type of try , so we dont restart ?

I can see it both ways. It's actually a good question, and it's brought into focus by the lack of conversion

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It's actually a good question , and I am not sure that we gave the right answer above

PT is awarded on 81 mins

Forget the new 7 points PT, and go back a year.

On 81 minutes the same action happened. You would have awarded a PT and the scoring team then slotted the conversion.

what did you do then?

Blow for full time obviously - time was up and the ball was dead.

Its no different now. Blow full time.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

But you would't restart with a PK after a PT last year either. The PT _IS_ is the penalty. There is no PK. So no PK restart.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that's the correct answer .

But with the lack of conversion it's going to feel a bit odd , red commit a high tackle and you blow for full time.

Well, to he fair you blow the PK whistle , the try whistle and then the full time whistle , bit still that's going to feel odd

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think that's the correct answer .

But with the lack of conversion it's going to feel a bit odd , red commit a high tackle and you blow for full time.

Well, to he fair you blow the PK whistle , the try whistle and then the full time whistle , bit still that's going to feel odd

Well, the likely events are

* illegal tackle occurs
* you blow hard, run under the posts and award the PT
* you call over miscreant and captain, and sanction the YC/RC as appropriate.
* you maybe say something like "Penalty Try, seven points, no conversion required"
* You blow full time.

All quite clear.

didds

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Well, the likely events are

* illegal tackle occurs
* you blow hard, run under the posts and award the PT
* you call over miscreant and captain, and sanction the YC/RC as appropriate.
* you maybe say something like "Penalty Try"
* You blow full time.

All quite clear.

didds

No need to say anything else - teams are now beating me to it!

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
7 smashes 10 late, Oh the good ol days [eyes misting up!] :clap:

:sarc:

I was a 10 hit late and high (stiff arm) by a 7 - my broken nose and black eyes have only just recovered* never mind misting up.

* It was 1965.