Personnel/Legal professional

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am involved in the European aspects of a global reorganisation of a particular function within a US-based multinational. Negotiating those changes through the Works Council and Unions in Germany, France and Italy particularly would be utterly impossible without high quality support from HR. Even with such support, it's an immense challenge. I personally view HR as an indispensable function to the smooth operation of a business.

Even more critical to have HR in Netherlands and Scanda countries !

Virtually impossible to fire anyone unless it is a serious disciplinary offence.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Toby's is the better answer as to the difference between the two functions. It's been HR as long as I've been in the field, so call it 20 years +/-

I get a bit pissed off when everyone seems to think HR is the easy job field to take a swing at. There's enough research data out there to back up the idea that organizations with effective HR functions enjoy better bottom line results than those that don't.

If you think that all we do is shuffle paperwork, then fine. It's a bit like saying all an accountant or CFO needs is to be able to basic maths. It's a very limited, and ignorant, viewpoint.

If you read my post properly, I make no reference to shuffling papers or the value of the job. I do wish people would answer what is posted and not their pet issues.

I have no issue with people doing work that needs to be done. However, I am mindful of the adage that re-shuffling job titles is often a mask for underlying problems and a "perceived"need to "grandify" a job title. Is it really any different from a Dustman being called a waste collection officer"? Why does ASDA have "colleagues" and not members of staff?

I was in the finance industry when the change in title came in. And that is all that happened the Staff director became the HR director etc. Just as the transport Director became the Logistics director etc.