Personnel/Legal professional

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sorry to ask this; but is there anybody on here who is in Personnel and or who deals with the Legal side of it?

Need some advice. Perhaps if you PM me we can chat?

Thanks friends.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
HR Senior Director.

PM me your question

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have some views on HR people if you'd like my opinion. :)

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
When and why did "Staff department" become "Human resources"?

When there was a requirement for a fundamental redesign of managerial responsibilities vis a vis the internal customer interface in order to maximise the blue sky of green fields opportunites in the new millenial framework of parallel innovation

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
HR Managers - Soulless Buggers. I once had an ex- brickies labourer turned HR "Manager" when I was an apprentice threaten to sue me on behalf of the company and refused to let me leave his office until I signed a contract outlining that I would complete some training in another city the next week, even though the doctor said I shouldn't travel for at least 2 months.

I sat there for 90 minutes looking at him until he let me leave - I didn't sign it.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
When we found out that in fact your average business manager is shit with people.

No offence intended, clearly. Unless you're shit with people. In which case stop bleating when you need our help

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
As a manager I've always been happy with the support of our HR (I still do prefer the term Personnel though).

The problem is that 90% of their job seems to be butt covering - mainly because of the pathetic litigious nature of modern society

All the OH&S (I have to run courses for my staff on how to climb a 3 step ladder for god's sake); written warnings blah blah blah are really just box ticking in case things go wrong

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I find our popularity is in direct corrolatation to the size ofthe problem people need fixing.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
In my view: (what it should be, and how it was when I first started work)
Personnel Department = people who look after employment contracts, benefits, law etc - the nuts and bolts of looking after the employees, and mostly admin stuff.
Human Resource Department = Responsible for the long term planning, hiring strategies, development of employees, etc to ensure the company has the required workforce (numbers, experience, training etc) for the next X years.

Sadly too many HR people, are really only Personnel Department people wanting a better sounding title. Both are useful when you need a problem solving that falls into their area, but don't understand why they can't have the different departments, so you know WHO to go to!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my view: (what it should be, and how it was when I first started work)
Personnel Department = people who look after employment contracts, benefits, law etc - the nuts and bolts of looking after the employees, and mostly admin stuff.
Human Resource Department = Responsible for the long term planning, hiring strategies, development of employees, etc to ensure the company has the required workforce (numbers, experience, training etc) for the next X years.

Sadly too many HR people, are really only Personnel Department people wanting a better sounding title. Both are useful when you need a problem solving that falls into their area, but don't understand why they can't have the different departments, so you know WHO to go to!

I do it a little like this. We employ 1600 people across 40+ sites - the local sites employ a BPA (Business personnel adminstrator) who issues contracts, handbooks, monitors sickness does notes at hearings and looks after cars and the 'nuts and bolts'

I then have 3 HR Managers who are regionally based providing the professional support. THe 3 HRM's are generlist with one area of preferance (ER, Comp and Ben etc)

I just sit in my ivory tower in London drinking tea.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
When there was a requirement for a fundamental redesign of managerial responsibilities vis a vis the internal customer interface in order to maximise the blue sky of green fields opportunites in the new millenial framework of parallel innovation

That's what I thought.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
When we found out that in fact your average business manager is shit with people.

No offence intended, clearly. Unless you're shit with people. In which case stop bleating when you need our help

When the same people that staffed the staffed department, now resource the HR department.

When I worked in for an big multi-national the business managers spoke with the staff dept before and now use the HR dept. So your post misses the point, by a large distance!

Just like the transport dept being renamed logistics.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry, my previous post missed a smiley after the Soulless buggers, it wasn't an attack at anyone here, just the one I had issues with. Apologies for any offence.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
When the same people that staffed the staffed department, now resource the HR department.

When I worked in for an big multi-national the business managers spoke with the staff dept before and now use the HR dept. So your post misses the point, by a large distance!

Just like the transport dept being renamed logistics.

Toby's is the better answer as to the difference between the two functions. It's been HR as long as I've been in the field, so call it 20 years +/-

I get a bit pissed off when everyone seems to think HR is the easy job field to take a swing at. There's enough research data out there to back up the idea that organizations with effective HR functions enjoy better bottom line results than those that don't.

If you think that all we do is shuffle paperwork, then fine. It's a bit like saying all an accountant or CFO needs is to be able to basic maths. It's a very limited, and ignorant, viewpoint.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's enough research data out there to back up the idea that organizations with effective HR functions enjoy better bottom line results than those that don't.
I am involved in the European aspects of a global reorganisation of a particular function within a US-based multinational. Negotiating those changes through the Works Council and Unions in Germany, France and Italy particularly would be utterly impossible without high quality support from HR. Even with such support, it's an immense challenge. I personally view HR as an indispensable function to the smooth operation of a business.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's a bit like saying all an accountant or CFO needs is to be able to basic maths. It's a very limited, and ignorant, viewpoint.

:smile: I'll add in the urban myth that all accountants are tax experts. Anyone who asks me to do their taxes gets the Red Wings put to them.

My experience with HR people has been tainted by the ones who try to tell me how to do my job.