Pick and Drive Scoring

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
This morning in New Zealand v Japan, the Kiwis just scored in a manner that I've seen countless times over the years - there was a ruck close to goal line, a player who was in the ruck quickly picked up the ball and dives over line to score, try awarded without hesitation - I felt the player picking the ball up was clearly part of the ruck, so why is he not penalised for using his hands in the ruck?

Am I misinterpreting it or is this just a case of TV refereeing. If I encountered that is it something I should manage/penalise?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Donal, wonderful to have you back! How are things?

I didn't see the particular issue, but I do share your concerns. I recall once seeing such a situation referred to the TMO and the try being disallowed for exactly your reasoning: the "scorer" had picked it up from the middle of a ruck. let's try not to get bogged down on whether that is a proper use of the TMO's remit. When I was coaching U.11's, I had a very, very good forward who lived by this process (though usually midfield, not near the goal line) and had to be gentle but firmly coached out of it.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I'm very well Dixie thanks. I stopped refereeing towards end of last year. Had a very bad incident of referee abuse and it had me rattled. Wasn't enjoying it and took a break. Back now and enjoying it again.

You retired now from the whistling?

Anyway glad to hear its not just me who has seen this issue. Its a tough one to ping as it often happens in an immaterial way around the park and is let go.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
By the way the try I am referring to was Kaino's in the 20th minute. He was part of the ruck and then just picked ball and scored.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Welcome back, sorry to hear about the abuse, glad you're getting back on the horse.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Donal- was the picker the hindmost like the 8?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If the picker is acting as scrum half then treat him as one and allow the same latitude to dig that you would normally. That isn't free rein, but no more no less.

So if the contest is over and the player is onside, fine! If he is halfway up the side fully bound, then releases his bind to dig - ping him! If he stays bound with one hand and digs with the other, ping him! Just like normal :)