Pictures of illegal scrum bind

George Forster-Jones

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wonder if anyone has any pictures of illegal scrum binds. I am a first year ref and find looking at pictures helps me when seeing "something wrong" when on the field. Can anyone help?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
try any pro rugby match :pepper:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I wonder if anyone has any pictures of illegal scrum binds. I am a first year ref and find looking at pictures helps me when seeing "something wrong" when on the field. Can anyone help?
I can see what you're getting at, but are they really going to help you? If you accept that binding must be on the back or side of the jersey you will be fine.

Ie anything that isn't on the back or side (eg on the arm or sleeve or collar) is illegal.

George Forster-Jones

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Most of the time the prop is gripping the top of the shoulder which to me is illegal, right?

George Forster-Jones

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think the new scrum bind engagement will resolve many of these issues.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Welcome.

Us double-barrelled surname types are few and far between on here!

You must be the other referee in Western Australia.

In amongst the thread hijacks there is some useful stuff on here. Don't be afraid to ask what you may consider a "stupid" question or perhaps think it must have been asked before.

Pearls of wisdom have frequently arisen from such questions.

You've only been lurking for six weeks which I think is long enough to get a flavour of the forum.

Welcome again.

:aus:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

bind.jpg

X Illegal bind by Blue THP (on LHO's arm)
is where I would ideally like to to see the bind
O acceptable bind by Gold LHP, ideally it should be a little higher.

George Forster-Jones

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Cheers. I am finding it very informative. When talking about the other referee is it Robbie Burns ?

- - - Updated - - -

That picture is the sort of thing I was wanting. Thanks.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If there elbows ar up parallel to the ground that's a good marker. If they drop to elbows down may suggest there being naughty.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

If Dragons v Ulster last Friday is anything to go by... no.

the Dragons TH prop was so far from his oppo LH that on the "bind" he could only reach the top of the shoulder, so he took his bind there. On set it never moved.

Meanwhile his oppo then had free rein to bind on the side of the shirt and on set then pull the shirt down and round underneath the TH so that in effect he was binding in line with the chest/solar plexus.

Of course, this is just down to the ref making sure that binds are correct before calling SET.

Just like they were doing at this level for the last few years.

Ah....

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If there elbows ar up parallel to the ground that's a good marker. If they drop to elbows down may suggest there being naughty.

+1.

though it would be better of there was no bent elbows but a straight arm bound to the bottom of the shirt near the shorts.

The probelm theer is that this pre-bind stuff doesn;t permit that length of bind 9due to the distances, even if super close). Props are permitted to move binds after SET - but there is no compunction. So you WILL see legal binds that WUILL end up with bent elbows.

Get on a Scrum factory CPD (coahcing) if in England and try out what 1st hand happens with elbows up and down to scrummaging shape
didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Last weekend, 1st match of season, new tight shirts at u15 ..... our players complaining that opposition are pinching them as they bind , referee enquires & opposition props cite difficulty getting a grip..... ref doesn't know what to do to satisfy both teams ....idea's anyone?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Last weekend, 1st match of season, new tight shirts at u15 ..... our players complaining that opposition are pinching them as they bind , referee enquires & opposition props cite difficulty getting a grip..... ref doesn't know what to do to satisfy both teams ....idea's anyone?
Don't buy such tight shirts.

Last edited:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
1170683_10201901965660637_1605974356_n.jpgpick the bones out of this one

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes