[In-goal] PK after the try - with a difference

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If we accept that, because a penalty has been awarded, play in the first half should continue after the conversion - what would be the location of the penalty?

As the ball was dead (but the half is not up) where play would re-start after a conversion - at the centre.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
As the ball was dead (but the half is not up) where play would re-start after a conversion - at the centre.

Could the non-offending team opt to kick to touch and, if so, would time be allowed for a line-out?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Could the non-offending team opt to kick to touch and, if so, would time be allowed for a line-out?

Yes and yes.
The lineout MUST be taken if the ball is kicked directly to touch.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

What Law would prevent them doing so? It is a normal PK, after time has elapsed.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
No disrespect intended to Treadmore.
Apologies if taken as so.

However it seems to me to be the equivalent to a fight breaking out in the bar after the game and asking should the referee bring players back on the pitch to deal with it! !

Edit....I'm sure Treadmore can respond for himself/herself!
Indeed I can.

FWIW I disagree with your equivalence. Was just using an example to see if we can end up with inconsistencies.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Indeed I can.

FWIW I disagree with your equivalence. Was just using an example to see if we can end up with inconsistencies.

I'm not clear as to what your point is...maybe it's that 2nd bottle of wine!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
let's consider a simpler event.

In 41st minute of 1st half Red knock-on and Blue gain no advantage.

1. As ref is bringing whistle to lips to blow for no-side, Blue player punches Red player. After cards, etc, what should the ref do?
a. award PK to Red at place of foul play, or
b. award PK to Red at place game would have restarted (ie where knock on occurred), or
c. blow no-side and recommence 2nd half with PK to Red, or
d. blow no-side and recommence 2nd half normally.

2. Ref has blown no-side and as players are leaving the ground for half time, Blue player punches Red player. After cards, etc, what should the ref do?
a. award PK to Red at place of foul play, or
b. award PK to Red at place game would have restarted (ie where knock on occurred), or
c. recommence 2nd half with PK to Red, or
d. recommence 2nd half normally.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If we accept that, because a penalty has been awarded, play in the first half should continue after the conversion - what would be the location of the penalty?

At the center of the halfway line?

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
At the center of the halfway line?

If the ball had been grounded by the defence rather than the attacking team resulting in a 22 drop out and then the foul play happened, where should the restart be?
Penalty to attack on the 22? Penalty to attack on the 5 metre line in line with the place of the offence?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If the ball had been grounded by the defence rather than the attacking team resulting in a 22 drop out and then the foul play happened, where should the restart be?
Penalty to attack on the 22? Penalty to attack on the 5 metre line in line with the place of the offence?
On the 22?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Why was this removed? 20210301_190954.jpg

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Gosh, is that a significant change from 2017 to 2018 that doesn't appear in my table of differences ?

Well it is sort of covered in Law 20.1 Location of PK which gives the location of a PK for an offence when the ball is dead.

So that tells us that offences can happen when ball is dead
but we have lost the specific offence of obstructing or interfering with an opponent. Perhaps I will add that in.

The table...b

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UzYvtcl03eG7xN13VCwboOyfC0yATNdxgQ7_N1slxEc/edit?usp=drivesdk