[Law] Placing the ball in touch

Vehlin

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was waiting for the full match of Leicester vs Saracens to arrive on the AP website before I posted this.

At the end of the first half (beyond 40m) it is Sararacen's scrum. They win the scrum and their number 8 makes a break towards the touch line, he is tackled on the way there and ends up reaching forward and placing the ball on the line as per this image . For anyone watching the video on PremiershipRugby,com it's at 50:55 on the video.

Law 10.2(c) states:

Code:
"Throwing into touch. A player must not intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with his arm or hand into touch, touch-in-goal, or over the dead ball line.
Sanction: Penalty kick on the 15-metre line if the offence is between the 15-metre line and the touchline, or, at the place of infringement if the offence occured elsewhere in the field of play, or, 5 metres from the goal line and at least 15 metres from the touchline if the infringement occured in in-goal."
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]

[/FONT]
So should the action (which happened right in front of the assistant referee) have been considered a penalty rather than the lineout (and end of the half) that was given.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I saw that game, and wondered about that - I have never seen it before.
It should have been a PK, shouldn't it.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Player in possession of the ball makes contact with touch. Lineout.

Vehlin

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Player in possession of the ball makes contact with touch. Lineout.

Even though (from the video) the player clearly reaches for touch with the ball? In that case what is the point of "A player must not intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with his arm or hand into touch".

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So I was working that match and listening to the ref feed.
The players asked the ref that as well. JP Doyle said it was ok because he placed the ball in touch and that the law only prevented him from throwing it into touch. You don't hear this on the PRL website as the commentator is talking.

Looks like a law error by JP as the law book does say "place" as one of the restrictions.

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, law error. 10.2(c) - specifically titled "throwing into touch", but the description is as Vehlin says.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The players asked the ref that as well. JP Doyle said it was ok because he placed the ball in touch and that the law only prevented him from throwing it into touch.

Looks like a law error by JP as the law book does say "place" as one of the restrictions.

watching it live - my first reaction was "oops, surely he's just given away a PK" then when JP blew for the half I thought "ah, well, the law must cover only throwing it" (I couldn't hear JP).

So I have sympathy with JP, I wasn't sure either, but I'd have given the PK, as that was my first reactions (and then quietly got my Law book out in the changing room after!)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
If as described, it is definitely a penalty offence.
Have only seen it happen once in a local game. Ref incorrectly played the lineout.
FB gathered ball and turned close to touch line on his 22 only to be confronted by 3 chasers. He was tackled and isolated so reached out and placed the ball in-touch. Sounds similar to OP.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The players asked the ref that as well. JP Doyle said it was ok because he placed the ball in touch and that the law only prevented him from throwing it into touch.

Definitely a law error by JPD.
Crossref says he has sympathy for JPD based on crossref not being sure of the law as well. I have no sympathy for JPD. Excusable error for guys reffing at our level maybe but not for a full time elite referee.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Definitely a law error by JPD.
Crossref says he has sympathy for JPD based on crossref not being sure of the law as well. I have no sympathy for JPD. Excusable error for guys reffing at our level maybe but not for a full time elite referee.

...and the place of the penalty would have been the 15m line; making it a kickable penalty.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well, I was wrong. Was in good company, too.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If a player holding the ball dived over the touchline and ended up grounding it along with his torso a la scorig a try... would that be placed into touch?

My gut reaction is no... but interested in your chaps ideas

Didds (who otherwise knew that playing into touch was illegal)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If a player holding the ball dived over the touchline and ended up grounding it along with his torso a la scorig a try... would that be placed into touch?

My gut reaction is no... but interested in your chaps ideas

Didds (who otherwise knew that playing into touch was illegal)

good question, seems to me it's OK.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
another variation -- a player is tackled very close to the line, retains hold on the ball with his left arm, and reaches out with his right, and touches the touchline with his right hand. Putting himself and therefire the ball in touch. That's OK right? (this is what the Sarries player could have done)

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
another variation -- a player is tackled very close to the line, retains hold on the ball with his left arm, and reaches out with his right, and touches the touchline with his right hand. Putting himself and therefire the ball in touch. That's OK right? (this is what the Sarries player could have done)

I'd say either you say is good (as in step into touch but with a hand) or PK for not releasing after a tackle.

Did anyone say Rob Kearney'13?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... JP Doyle said it was ok because he placed the ball in touch and that the law only prevented him from throwing it into touch.
You learn something every day. I must admit I thought the same as JP Doyle ie placing the ball in touch was OK, but deliberately throwing or slapping it into touch was a PK offence.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tackled

touch1.jpg

Reaches out to the touch line

touch2.jpg

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd say either you say is good (as in step into touch but with a hand) or PK for not releasing after a tackle.

PK for being much too clever by half not releasing after the tackle sound good to me :)

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Whoa there, CR. After a tackle a player may place the ball in an direction.