[Law] Player tackles referee

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
should we then apply this to players - a dangerous tackle on a skinny, 5 ft SH more serious than the same tackle on Wendell Sailor?

Just asking - not advocating
I think this already happens to some degree without us overtly realising it. For example, a shoulder charge on a smaller player is going to look a lot more spectacular than just bouncing off a really big guy and thus the punishment is likely to be harsher for flattening the small guy.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That is an effing disgrace. I hope the thug skates for the long haul

In addition to that, it a bit worrying that the referee carried in after having suffered whiplash injuries.

http://www.healthhype.com/whiplash-and-concussions.html

"It is obvious that during a whiplash event that, in addition to the soft-tissue neck injuries that there could be direct contact of the head on an unforgiving surface. A blow to the head can produce jarring, shaking, or excessive movement of the brain inside the skull. This would be a logical circumstance in which concussion could occur. But what about situations in which there is whiplash yet there is no direct contact of the head on any surface? The high velocity movement of the head during a whiplash event alone could produce the same effects."

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I have no idea how, when watching that footage, you would believe that he bought the dummy runners and got it wrong. Ball was always going deep and wide, plus if you watch he braced himself and launched towards the referee and no other player was in the direction that he went.

TBH Drift I agree 100% with you.

I was only proffering that that _may_ be an excuse put forward. I agree it would be a crap one.

If we (rightly) reject that excuse then the panel must have been made up of his uncles and Argentinian rugby is so corrupt as to be untenable..

didds

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Reading other sources: Ban was for 3 years, as that is the longest the Italian Fed can give under their internal regulations. BUT they also say that if the player requests a new licence in 3 years time, it will be refused.

If true - it is effectively a life time ban from playing.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ah sorry - I was under the impression it was in Argentina. Apologies.

didds

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
ah sorry - I was under the impression it was in Argentina. Apologies.

didds

Player is Argentinian. But of course, there is nothing to stop him moving away, and playing elsewhere, once his ban is finished. And given that England don't have licences for the lower levels - he could even go play there.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Reading other sources: Ban was for 3 years, as that is the longest the Italian Fed can give under their internal regulations. BUT they also say that if the player requests a new licence in 3 years time, it will be refused.

If true - it is effectively a life time ban from playing.

But presumably that ban from the Italian Federation only applies in Italy?
If he joined a French team......

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Good point Phil.

If I got banned for 6 weeks in England could I go and play in wales?

let alone calling myself Dai Larfin and playing under that name anyway?

I recall hazy details of hearing about a player that got RCd on one pitch and very soon afterwards ended up playing on the adjacent pitch as a sub!

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in theory don't all the unions respect eachother's bans, so if you are banned in England you can't play in Wales.

(in practice, of course, you could as if you kept it quiet no one would know.. but in theory...)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In theory historically at least you are supposed to have a "permission slip" from the last national union you played under to move to another I thought. Yonks ago we got one for a Canadian lad from the Canadian RFU.

I would imagine any bans would be reflected in that permission slip.

That said I've played in England -> Wales -> England -> Australia -> Germany -> New Zealand -> Australia -> England (not including the one off guest matches in Thailand and New Caledonia) without ever having such a form, cos I didn't know they were supposedly needed at that time, and neither did the clubs I played for! Or if they did they kept schtumm!

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Reg 17 is clear that bans from one Union are to be considered worldwide

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
In theory historically at least you are supposed to have a "permission slip" from the last national union you played under to move to another I thought. Yonks ago we got one for a Canadian lad from the Canadian RFU.

That said I've played in England -> Wales -> England -> Australia -> Germany -> New Zealand -> Australia -> England (not including the one off guest matches in Thailand and New Caledonia) without ever having such a form, cos I didn't know they were supposedly needed at that time, and neither did the clubs I played for! Or if they did they kept schtumm!

didds

Conversely I had an English teammate a few years back who needed RFU clearance to play in the Netherlands even though he'd never played in the UK.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

didds

Yea. ......but were you ever banned in any of these countries?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
not me guvnor.

clean as a whistle innit

didds

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Reg 17 is clear that bans from one Union are to be considered worldwide
And that list of banned players can be found on which universal register?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
And that list of banned players can be found on which universal register?
The obvious central authority to maintain a list would be World Rugby. It shouldn't be that difficult. How many banned players can there be at any one time?

Make it a condition that a banned player is not insured and the jobs a good un.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The obvious central authority to maintain a list would be World Rugby. It shouldn't be that difficult. How many banned players can there be at any one time?

Make it a condition that a banned player is not insured and the jobs a good un.

I fear that that won;t stop people from playing if they want to/the club wants the,m to.

Or of course they just call themselves a different name.

Dai Larfin.