Players in the 5m channel

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Match played between Green v Yellow. Yellows awarded throw, Greens place a person in the 5m channel as per the LoTG, also, Yellow place a person in the channel. I told him he wasn't allowed in the channel as it was his throw. He claimed he had been doing it all last season and had never been picked up on it.

Am I just being a total jobsworth:norc: with this or was I correct?:Nerv:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
He claimed he had been doing it all last season and had never been picked up on it.

They always say that :nono:

Am I just being a total jobsworth:norc: with this or was I correct?:Nerv:

Correct.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not a jobsworth at all ! More like he was a d*ckhead, but he had been getting away with it - where did other refs come from ?

What level of match was this, what age group if not adults ?

Yellow cannot be there on their own throw - just read the Law 19, especially 19.8 (h) (stand between 5m and 15m), the diagram, and 19.8 (j) (oppo to thrower requirement).

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Unless of course he was more than 10m back from the lineout - ie was in the backs lineup - not part of the linout

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The team in concern are a WRU Level 2 team, not going to name them, would probably be a bit rude as I know some of my esteemed WRU colleagues will end up with them at some point this season.
As for the player being back the 10, no, he was the SH, standing 2m back in the channel until I told him to get out.
I was confident I was correct, just wanted to clear this up for my own ease of mind.:biggrin:

Andyp

Post Likes
is the player at the front of the line able to step into the channel after/as the ball is thrown to give the front jumper more space to get in front of his oppo? Obviously still taking the ball after it has gone 5.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Once the ball has gone beyond him he can move into the channel.

If this is the front player then the ball will be already at least level with the 1st jumper when he can do this, so I don't really see how it helps make room.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Davet may have led with his chin there. Remember that it is illegal for a lineout player to leave the lineout before it is over (19.8d). The lineout starts when the ball is thrown, but is not over until the ball or a ball carrier leaves it. Consequently, it is not acceptable for a lineout player to step into the channel (or beyond the 15m line) until the ball has left the lineout - either by going beyond it, or by itself leaving the 10m channel bounded by the 5m and 15m lines.

Enrique

Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Consequently, it is not acceptable for a lineout player to step into the channel (...) until the ball has left the lineout - either by going beyond it, or by itself leaving the 10m channel bounded by the 5m and 15m lines.

Dixie, nope. Law 19.10(i):
(i) When the ball has been thrown beyond a player in the lineout, that player may move to the space between the touchline and the 5-metre line. If the player moves into that space the player must not move towards that player’s goal line before the lineout ends, except in a peeling off movement.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Davet may have led with his chin there. Remember that it is illegal for a lineout player to leave the lineout before it is over (19.8d). The lineout starts when the ball is thrown, but is not over until the ball or a ball carrier leaves it. Consequently, it is not acceptable for a lineout player to step into the channel .. until the ball has left the lineout - either by going beyond it, or by itself leaving the 10m channel bounded by the 5m and 15m lines.
I must admit Dixie, I read 19.10(i) the same way Davet seems to have read it.

19.10(i) When the ball has been thrown beyond a player in the lineout, that player may move to the space between the touchline and the 5-metre line. If the player moves into that space the player must not move towards that player’s goal line before the lineout ends, except in a peeling off movement.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dixie leads with his own chin! 19.10(i) is very clear - thanks. I wonder why I've never before spotted the apparent contradiction with 19.8(d)?