[Kit] Players wearing gloves

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My guess it's a bit like top players being allowed to wear studs "we'd" say "no way" to?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My guess it's a bit like top players being allowed to wear studs "we'd" say "no way" to?

I had a player this weekend keeping a foot on the ground at the stud check, turned out he only had 3 (of 6) front studs. Told him I would allow 4 at the front, so he needed at least 1 more. 10 minutes later check again, still no extra studs (with lots of talk about not being able to find any...) so a warning to him (and his coach) if I see him on the field with just those 3 studs he will be sent off. Amazing how he then managed to find a stud.....

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Zebra1922 - well done.

Jolly Roger - as far as I can see nothing, unless the referee deems it dangerous or illegal and asks for it to be removed under 4.6

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I had a player this weekend keeping a foot on the ground at the stud check, turned out he only had 3 (of 6) front studs. Told him I would allow 4 at the front, so he needed at least 1 more. 10 minutes later check again, still no extra studs (with lots of talk about not being able to find any...) so a warning to him (and his coach) if I see him on the field with just those 3 studs he will be sent off. Amazing how he then managed to find a stud.....

I have a little bag of studs that have come off all my old boots.
If they get desperate I offer them a choice from those.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That's what I was referring to above, that tape with mitts would effectively be gloves.

If the crucial part of that the tape makes "the gloves" then what is the difference between taped fingers with or without mitts?

The tape is either a benefit or its not, and the mitts redundant surely? i.e. what does the tape WITH mitts give a player that tape without mitts doesn't?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In whiuch case its the tape that helps, rather than the wearing of mitts. So again, what difference does it make with or without mitts? So why fixate on mitts + tape = Bad. when its presumably tape = BAD?

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Mitts were quite fashionable about 10-15 years ago (Ben Kay, Steve Thompson etc) especially with kids.

The last person I saw wearing them religiously was Andy Goode. His were obviously coated in something that meant his grip on pies, cakes and pasties was so strong he had to prise the offending pastries off with his teeth.

I can't recall the last person I saw wearing them at my level(s)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What's the logic in banning gloves but not mitts ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If that's the case, then that's the answer to question of tape .. if it *looks like* gloves then it looks equally wrong..

It would also answer the question about whether refs can wear them .. if it's all about looks then no, as it looks just as wrong

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Cloth can snag and get snagged. Fingers are easy to break and dislocate.

I'd guess that's the rationale. I'm sure WR would have no problem with a player wearing mittens :p

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If that's the reason , then it would follow that individually taped fingers are fine

People tape fingers all the time and it doesn't matter that it happened to look like a glove

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not related to gloves but in response to an answer what are the official rule on studs. I have looked at 12 but not much detail there
how many missing do you allow, as had players with missing but hole blocked?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last weekend James O’Connor playing for Sale Sharks against Bath was wearing gloves covering the full length of his fingers.
Does anyone know whether James O’Connor had specific dispensation or whether there has been a change to Law 4 or Regulation 12?

I have it on the best authority that this shouldn't have been allowed....and won't be in the future.