Portsmouth Ladies vs. Reading Ladies

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dear all,

I've been appointed to ref the above game on Sumday. Since I have never refereed these teams before I was hoping that sombody would have some advice as to playing styles, people to watch out for etc etc. from anybody who has reffed either team before.

I've been warned that the Reading coach can be a touch vociferous, but any other advice would be warmly received.

This will also be my first ladies game - is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? In other words are there new and different ways for them to cheat that I may not be aware of? :p

Chris

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I remember reffing London Welsh ladies a couple of years ago, and one of the players complaining bitterly that "x" kept squeezing her tits.

I wasn't sure what to do other than say stop it...its ungentlemanly behaviour - which seemed to bring a smile and did actually work...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Tibbs

Were appointed to do this game direct by Portsmouth Ladies or through your Sussex re-appointments secretary ?

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Through my Sussex reappointments - Dave Maconachie phoned me last night.

What level is this game, Simon, Do you know?

CHris

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Haven't watched either, but I know some of the personnel at Reading. They have a very strong front row (I believe the new engagement applies for Ladies as well?), and are perfectly capable of keeping it tight if necessary. That said, they have a good, pacey inside centre as well. From what I've heard, the ball doesn't get spun far along the line - if the 12 doesn't break the defence, the back row provides continuity and they start again.

Some ladies' games are a bit disappointing, requiring you to coach as you would a Continuum side. Many start with fewer than 15. Don't expect Reading to be in that category - barring injury, they'll field a competent squad. They play in green and white.

H

HANSON7379

Tibbs

Having been a coach of a womens team you will find they can play with the same passion as men one thing to look out for is make sure they have all cut there nails before the kick off a women from a local team ended up with a nice eye injury from a hand off. Also some levels play a version of under 19 laws 1.5m push in scrum, roll on subs max 18 player sqaud ?? etc when i refer'd games i found them to be very polite as for coaches getting to pent up treat them the same as you would any other coach they act the same as they would with a mens game. BUT ENJOY IT

PeterTC

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pompey Ladies normally are alright, I did them either last year or actually might have been the year before, I imagine they will get at least 15 out. As for what I remember of them, watch lineouts not going 5, I had to keep an eye on that as they were throwing to the front a lot of the time. Apart from that, a lot of the advice above is sound, but remember to just go out there and enjoy it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Thanks Chris - glad it went through official channels, as it hasn't in the past. Even though Hampshire should have been informed by Ports ladies Sussex were taking the match ! What is Dave Maconachie's number ? Makes sense to co-oepragte even more around Hants/Sussex border - we do it on level 12-15 exchanges already but not re-appointments.

Level will be around 12-15 skills, 15-20 speed and fitness and 7 or 8 management !

Our re-appointments secretary Dave Davies spoke to me last night as he had been called by Portsmouth Ladies late to get a referee and he didn't have any spare, which he told them. If they had waited until this morning, with match cancellations we would have accomodated them.

The attitude of many Ladies sides is quite pushy - demanding this and that, etc, often as the RFUW can be very aggresssive and has made a unilateral assumption that they will get Society Referees for all matches and communicated that to their clubs.

With Sunday Youth Leagues at Colts, U16, U15 and U14 this weekend plus the Hants Seventeens Cup too, we are at full stretch as a Society.

Thanks for taking the match and good luck.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dear all,

Many thanks for the advice on here - it's all been taken in and hopefully will be applied on Sunday!

Simon,

I must confess that I make a point of not accepting matches without official sanction - because I have no idea how I stand from a liability point if nothing else...

I also find that the clubs that want to deal direct are also the ones who piss off the appointments secretaries and so aren't at the top of the list to get Society Refs - and generally with SSRFUR I can get through official channels as many matches as I can handle.

Thanks for the pointer in terms of levels - it will help my prep a lot.

I'll PM you Dave Mac's number. (Edit) Actually I won't I can't figure out how to do it - but it should be in your email inbox...

Chris

Last edited:

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon,

I'm glad you got the email address. The match went well, everybody (apart from one, but then threre's always one...!) seemed pleased - report to follow.

Chris

R

Rich Wartner

In my experience women ballcarriers tend to run straight up into tackles. The tackler grabs the ball a maul forms a wrestling match ensues and the maul tends to topple. A point is that women generally do not have the upper body strength men do.

In my prematch instructions I explain that ball possession is the key factor in maul situations. Moving forward is not the key ingredient. If it is obvious to me that the ball is tied up I immediately whistle and award the scrum to the defensive team. I explain this is for safety reasons. They catch on very quickly. I have had skeptical coaches tell me afterwards that they appreciated my interpretation.